Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=5889&start_row=11

The N word

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 22
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 11/23/2014 6:17:44 PM

Yeah, well Ethiopian...... Their was a King Itiyope or something of that nature.... in Axum from before the Greeks had a language to come up with the term 'burnt faces' so is a LIE when dem claim is a Greece who originate the word Ethiopia. Mek dem gweh.

But yeah. Time for we to define things for ourselves and left the European standards to the Europeans. Thats why I choose Patois (or even Ebonics) over English. If I get the chance to learn an indigenous African language den a joy too. Dats why InI speak Iyaric instead of second/third person. Thats why InI claim Haile Selassie I as de Almighty without a any apology. Babylon standards have no baring.

Messenger: royal dawta Sent: 11/24/2014 10:05:11 AM

Neva ina mi life me have hearkin rasta talk about nigga this and nigga that Rasta naa talk about naa use no deragitive term mi sehh rasta sehh afrikan and blackman and no nigga

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 11/24/2014 11:32:48 AM

A point is to not let others define I language.
Nigger is a word derived from a word that means BLACK or BLACK People as who was Simon I blee in d bible who was called NIGER ( it's pronounced NEE' GER not ny'jer).
Some like the term KUSH or KUSHITE cuz of interchanging with Ethiopia but in Arabic and Hebrew speaking places to be called KUSHI is derogatory to those BLACKS.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 11/24/2014 1:31:33 PM

Royal Dawta; we are not having a discussion about what is said in Rasta culture. This is not what Rasta say or what you hear Rasta say

This is a discussion re:BLACK PEOPLE in general.

I hope you see the difference.

And the point being self-definition, as VDR has just pointed out again

Bigup & Liveup.

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 6/9/2015 1:23:07 PM

i wasnt sure if its right to talk about the n word as a guy from europe but i think to "ignore" discussions like that would mean to be "color bild" and thats really superficial to me.

so i think even if its just a word that discribes ones physical appearance it is a word that was really bold to use to discibre or speak to a black person. if you see a person as equal or if you would want to show any kind of respect you would not use something physical to do so. most girls might be not as tall as man but that doesnt mean that you refer to your female lawyer as "shorty". you wouldnt call your female colleague "miss fatty" after she gave birth. you wouldnt call your italian friend "spaghetti". in times of war babylon uses terms like "the krauts"...

but i think, from what ive experienced in the west, is that there are at least three versions/ updates of the n word.

the first one was a racial way to discribe slaves.

the second one was the attempt to turn it into something motivating or even fancy by picking it up from white people. the n word in oldschool rap songs always says something like "maybe black is what we are and what you use to call us and we cant do nothing about it in general but you should know that we are proud of it and we are able to empower ourself in society".

the third version is a word to me that has nothing to do with racism and politics but with fashion. its just like "buddy", "pal" or whatever. if you are friends with somebody and you want to show that you think you have a lot of similarities you use it.

but i would never use it because of the roots of this word.

i remember a scene of a tupac movie. a white guy has called tupac a "n-word" and tupacs black friends were astonished. they wanted to shoot the white guy. afterwards tupac told the white dude that hes cool with being called a "n-word" when they are alone but never in public.

i think this is something that really shows that the meaning of the word and the way people use it, especially since the late 70s, are two whole different animals.

if i was black, i probably would react like capleton in his famous song. i think its just disgusting.

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 6/9/2015 1:52:11 PM

and when i say that it seems to me like the n-word is used nowadays to say something like "whats up, PAL" or "whats up, BUDDY" i dont think of the jamaican meaning of the word buddy. lol

but i think if we are too careless about the origin of certain words it leads us to a bold and unconscious way of speaking. even if you dont believe in manners. i think the word "mamma" or versions of it are known in many, many languages. but did you know that it comes from rome and means "breast"? so i dont want to call a family member like that. the romans thought of the sounds babies are uttering when they see their mothers breast and they want to drink. papa is actually eual to "pope".

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 6/9/2015 2:58:02 PM

If th N word was use to in reference to Africans ENsleaved then became derogatory wonce people took it as offensive. Then in black communities it became of common use to reference Black males like "dude" (as in looka dis nigga ya) or look dat white, chinese or Mexian nigga

And friend (dats my nigga)

Some still take offense from whites saying it in any way

We have a word for mother that was considered kinda offensive of sorts that we werent to really use around elders but they use it to us and to say it amongst peers couldve led to a fight but ones used refering to their own mothers it was kinda wierd but became just commonly used but its still embeded in some to an extint

Words and Language Evolve ober time and situations

"Mamma", "MA" is ANCIENT long fo Rome come ya!

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 6/9/2015 5:19:57 PM

Good ol discussion in this thread! Big up Missa Ruuts!

Messenger: reasoningtime Sent: 6/9/2015 7:25:40 PM

i dont know what to think about the fact that some blacks use it but at the same time they dont like to hear it from whites.

its like giving the own race some special rights or a way to build a special community with people of the same race. to me, the difference between the races is overrated. i mean scientists even claim that whole mankind comes from one black african woman. the black eve. at one point in history a group of a few hundreds left africa and left the red sea to spread our species over the globe. even if thats not true, we are all the same. i think it is idle to build areas of certain rights to use physical things to describe each other. babylon can make a difference by judging people through their skin color. but thats not for me. but if you want to, you can call people how ever you want of course. im missing certain nice rites. if we want to get rid of the days of slavery i think it would be helpful to spread another feeling and way of treating people regarding interracial communications.

i think there is a certain temptation to use it. because it seems just so simple to use it. a man who greets people with the "n-word" shows directly what his attitude is all about. for some people it seems like those ones are very "down to earth", "uncomplicated" ,"easy going", "full of street credibility", "honest", "conscious about black history", "self confident" etc.

but its also a question of decency to me. since the days of democracy are established in europe, everybody, also in america, is called a lady or a gentleman. to me its nothing else than taking the titles and rites away from royal people. everybody is a lady or gentleman but nobody is reigning. as if royal people were reigning themself as ladies and gentleman. not everybody can be a king or a queen.

dont get me wrong. i like the fact that especially when it comes to rasta culture, people are discribed as king and queens. thats fine to me. but if we are kings and queens, royal people must be something else. why cant a man just be a man and a woman a woman when it comes to democracy. since napoleon there are no kings and queens anymore but everybody is a lady and a gentleman so to speak. just like prince asserate has mentioned it in his book "manners".

when it comes to the way we speak to people we dont know i really like terms like "madame" and things like that. you are never wrong to call any women a madame. but not every language has the words to do something like that.

i think there are way to many things people has adopted from movies and things they have seen on tv. some even refer to women by using the p-word all the time. i was really astonished to watch more and more young girls who use this term to speak about other girls.

i think a little more elegance and old traditions is missing in the western society.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 6/9/2015 8:01:16 PM

White man can't call I no Nigga

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 22

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I