Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=5604&start_row=1

Diet as according to scripture

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 85
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 4/10/2014 2:09:06 PM

Some rasta eat meat, but not pork
Some rasta don't eat any meat, but eat some fish
Some rasta are vegetarian (I wont say I-tal because that is more than a diet)
And so on......

The reasons for this are varied and often depend on the individual. But, as ever, many of the Ras dem do so out of scriptural instruction.... or what they believe to be in the scriptures.

Christians, tend to eat anything. Whereas Jewish / Hebrew and Islamic followers have similar confusion when it comes to diet and its relation to scripture

But how do the I-dem see these instructions by YHWH?

To GARVEYS AFRICA it seems as though the God of the Old Testament contradicts (him)self on more than one occasion on this issue which leads to the confusion..........

GENESIS

Genesis 1:29-30

"And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat. 30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so."

Note: 'Meat' in this part of the Bible uses the Hebrew word 'oklah' which means to consume / devour / EAT. It does NOT mean the 'Meat' as interpreted today (ie meat - food) which would have been written in a number of different ways including baruwth or mat·am

It is very clear, that God gave the first people the plants and the trees for food. Some people try to twist this scripture to mean other things, and try to argue that this does not prove people were eating only the fruits and plants / it was allowing man to eat vegetables as well as meat, but this is wrong. Humans did not meat eat until after the flood according to scripture:

Genesis 9:3
Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I NOW give you everything.

Interesting.

LEVITICUS

Leviticus 11:1-8

"And Yahweh spoke unto Moses and to Aaron, saying unto them, Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, These are the beasts which you shall eat among all the beasts that are on the earth. Whatsoever parts the hoof, and is clovenfooted, and chews the cud, among the beasts, that shall you eat. Nevertheless these shall you not eat of them that chew the cud, or of them that divide the hoof: as the camel, because he chews the cud, but divides not the hoof; he is unclean unto you. And the coney, because he chews the cud, but divides not the hoof; he is unclean unto you. And the hare, because he chews the cud, but divides not the hoof; he is unclean unto you. And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be clovenfooted, yet he chews not the cud; he is unclean to you. Of their flesh shall you not eat, and their carcass shall you not touch; they are unclean to you"

Note: For those that don't know, clovenfooted and those that 'divide the hoof' are the same thing: a hoof split into two toes. He who 'chews the cud' refers to the digestive process of rumination. Cud is a portion of food that returns from a ruminant's stomach to the mouth to be chewed for the second time.

Animals that don't fit the billing include swine; but also rabbit, camel....

- Deuteronomy 14:4-8 gives the same set of rules about rumination and clovenfooted animals only for consumption.

Leviticus 11:9-12

"These shall you eat of all that are in the waters: whatsoever has fins and scales in the waters, in the seas, and in the rivers, them shall you eat. And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you: They shall be even an abomination unto you; you shall not eat of their flesh, but you shall have their carcasses in abomination. Whatsoever has no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you"

Note: Fish with no scales include whiting, cod, mackerel, puffer-fish, catfish..... and the bigger / exotic one dem like sharks. These fish don't love their life too? A none Italist might argue fish - like mackerel - are one of the best sources of Omega-3. Where is the abomination? Unless your looking at it from the point of view of protecting LIFE in which case why some fish and not others?

Leviticus 11:13-19

"And these are they which you shall have in abomination among the fowls; they shall not be eaten, they are an abomination: the eagle, and the ossifrage, and the osprey, And the vulture, and the kite after his kind; Every raven after his kind; And the owl, and the night hawk, and the cuckoo, and the hawk after his kind, And the little owl, and the cormorant, and the great owl, And the swan, and the pelican, and the eagle, And the stork, the heron after her kind, and the lapwing, and the bat"

- Seems like a lick out against Chicken! Dread them that look to the Bible as the reason they don't eat PORK but still eat chicken and fish should explain..?

_________________________________________________________________________________

NUMBERS

Numbers 6:3-4 (re:Nazarite Vow)

"He shall separate himself from wine and strong drink, and shall drink no vinegar of wine or vinegar of strong drink, neither shall he drink any liquor of grapes, nor eat moist grapes or dried. 4 All the days of his separation shall he eat nothing that is made of the vine tree, from the kernels even to the husk."

Note: This verse is not JUST talking about abstinence from alcohol. It is quite clear nothing from any part of a vine tree. This includes grapes, raspberries, blueberries, kiwifruit and MELON. For those who didn't know.

There are lots of other contradictory or changing statements in relation to food within the Pentateuch. Like the example I gave for Deuteronomy 14:4-8. Also Genesis 32:32 after Jacob fights with God / an angel and "the children of Israel eat not of the sinew which shrank, which is upon the hollow of the thigh, unto this day: because he touched the hollow of Jacob's thigh in the sinew that shrank."

Not to mention the biblical references to Israelite cannibalism and eating of children (Ezekiel 5:10, 2 Kings 6:29, Lamentations 4:10)....but this will be a side-track in this reasoning. So sticking to the topic.....

The I dem buy into these verses? And their reasoning for WHY certain foods should be avoided? Clovenfooted = clean. Animals that don't ruminate = unclean????? Certain fish is OK but certain fish isn't???? Any sources outside of the Bible to justify this?

The I dem that don't drink alcohol / or have claimed to be on their 'Nazarite vow' abstain from ALL the fruits of the vine as mentioned? Or just grapes / wine? What about melon or even a kiwi? Any of the I dem think is OK to drink alcohol as long as is not wine? (A brethren once reasoned this with me)

Any further conflicting / confusing instructions on diet the I can find?

- Note: If I had to choose I'd stick with the original Genesis instruction. But Ital is vital for reasons not found within scripture.

-Live clean-

Messenger: VoodooRuutz Sent: 4/10/2014 10:42:09 PM

Can't think a no CONfusion but diet but sum udda stuff tho wha got bukoo ones CONfused. If d I find or kno more of d diet CONfusion post fa InI ca sight.

Bless Up King! Keep da Fyah Blazin!

Messenger: Jah Dub Sent: 4/11/2014 12:57:26 AM

The Nazarite Vow is the only one of those that has influenced my diet. I also don't eat meat because of poor farm conditions and ethical reasons

Plus, I don't like the taste of flesh

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 4/11/2014 10:08:28 AM

^^You wouldn't eat a grape, raisin or melon because of Nazarite vow?

OR your diet is 'based' off the vow but not to the letter of the word.

Interesting.

I agree with you on the health and ethical reasons!

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 4/11/2014 1:46:46 PM

Yes I, scripture DIEt is a bunch of mixed up instructions for a culture that existed thousands of years ago. So much of it is logical based on their overstanding of biology at the time - draining the blood from an animal before eating it, for example. But now I&I have a greater overstanding of biology, even the chemical overstanding of pH balance and vitamins.
If the Almighty gave I&I modern instructions, what would they look like? But that is a hypothetical question.
Now the LIVEit Iwombman use to nourish the temple has nothing to do with a religious text or any other teachings - simply for I it is logic and heart that decides what is suitable and what is not. Ital for I means eating what is vital, omitting what is not vital, in the Irit of thankfulness and not gluttony.
Anything Iwombman would want to eat that has no nutritional value, Iwombman Iditate to remove those desires. Anything that Iwombman desire that could be replaced by a more efficient and eco-friendly option, I also omit. Anything that I desire to eat that, in buying and eating, would support a system Iwombman oppose, I try to find a way to make for Iself, or I also omit. I also try to eat mostly alkaline foods.
The animal products are the first to go, because there are more beneficial plant options to give the same nutrients (plus more), and because I cannot produce those things Iself, and definitely because I do not want to support those slaughter businesses. At one time I actually enjoyed the taste of yogurt and meat, but it has been a while and I forgot at this point what it is like to eat those things. The processed foods, same idea, this includes sugar and salt. Then the GMO and otherwise hybrid plant foods, like wheat and rice. Black and wild rice are good, but other rice is a hybrid and therefore offers less nutritional value. So it is a process of purifying and choosing only what is necessary to live, to Itinue this mission JAH has blessed Iwombman with. More purity for I to come, I am sure - I still eat cooked vegetables and even drink a little coffee.
As an athlete, staying nourished is a big enough job, and then add the self-imposed restrictions mentioned above... Sometimes getting the necessary nourishment is more time consuming than I can handle. Meat has more calories (but less vitamins and minerals) per ounce, so eating all plant matter means that it takes longer to consume the same amount of calories (although I&I end up with more nutrients). It literally takes too long to chew and swallow enough calories to support this active lifestyle. Juicing cuts down on cooking and chewing time, but the juice does not have as many calories as the solid food. Sometimes I even have to let go of I selfish desire to run a longer distance in order to remain pure in terms of food.

Following one text or another is too confusing and contradictory! But with a pure love for life and Iration, I&I have the Ithority to use logic and decide for Iself what is clean food and what is not.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 4/11/2014 4:18:33 PM

So what u say Queen...... Dont DIE-it but LIVEit?!

SELASSIE-I

Give thanks for the share - Dem logics make much more sense to I. That text would make it into I first five books of Law everytime........ and if Jah gave instruction in this modern age it may look similar, to answer your hypothetical question.

I may disagree on the Alkaline diet though, I think that term was created by Babylon to promote foods (which conscious people ALREADY knew were good for you) under the false claim of pH shift in the body etc which is not true. They then sell this to you as a 'new' idea, new diet and new science. Look how hollywood have cashed in on this. Reselling foods we already knew were healthy, with flawed science, for the purpose of marketing and business.

And please, CUT OUT THE COFFEE!!!!!!! (That nuh 'alkaline') See it deh...... and in other thread you tell we say you are becoming fatigued....
http://www.naturalnews.com/012352_caffeine_coffee.html#

Still, the I is a healthy conscious eater without scriptual instruction. A significant point the I make with the I livity. Isis.

Messenger: JAH Child Sent: 4/11/2014 4:57:13 PM

Truth King! There is debate about the alkaline/acid thing, and true also that coffee is extremely acidic!
Yes Iwombman do know the coffee is an issue. Admittedly it is an addiction I need to purify from (that is why I mentioned it when saying I can and will purify further). Iditate on strength to resist those habits!
The day Iwombman posed that question to the Idren, about fatigue, was three days into fast off caffeine, and I was trying to resist the urge to drink some coffee. I did resist that day and the next, but have had trouble since then, "fallen off the wagon" Iman could say.

Regarding the scriptural instructions for eating, yes I, let the Idren reason further.

Bless up Rastafari.

Messenger: Jah Dub Sent: 4/11/2014 6:47:52 PM

I honestly thought that not eating grapes and vinegar, etc seemed a bit extreme so I never adopted that into my diet

I don't really follow the nazarite vow that closely anymore. I tried but I like to have a beer sometimes and I don't see anything wrong with grapes

And also, another part of the vow is to not cut your hair and grow dreads- well, that doesn't suit a balding person very well or I would try

So, I mainly stick to dairy and rarely eggs and no flesh based more on health and ethical reasons than scripture

I do feel like being vegetarian gets me closer to Jah

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 4/11/2014 6:58:08 PM

Good answer!

Messenger: MELCHEZIDEK Sent: 4/12/2014 9:02:34 AM

...and some rastas eat whatever they like

The reason is because Rasta is not a DIET (FOOD) thing. Its about doing JAH Works and being in Righteousness. Some take the scripture: It is not that which goeth into the mouth that defileth your body, but that which comes out defileth your body.

But then again, I and I read also in the new testament of Paul. Paul was a Nazarite who followed the Nazarean way of life of not eating meat: Here Paul says to the Romans thats its good to not eat meat: Roman 14:21 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.

Thats just the Nazarean way of life, and Nazarites live like this. One Rasta says he is no "Nazarite" but RASTA. And Rasta have nothing to do with food. Rasta is about living in Righteousness and having a Conscience about truth.

Matthew 15:11 Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.

Matthew 15:17 Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?

Matthew 15:18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.

Any of the ways; we are not here to judge each other about food or sabbaths or moons or whatever beliefs come next. We are here to be in righteousness and be consious, because Rasta is the Head Principal Head Master Ruler of this Universe Elect of God Light of this World, because we are here to fight spiritual wickedness; Rasta is here to burn the rulers of darkness and the forces of evil in this world. Rasta is here to shine light on the darkness. Rasta is the Light of this World which lighteth every 1 that cometh into this world.

God is light
JAH Ras Tafari is the Light of the World

Selassie I

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 85

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I