Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=539&start_row=11

Distractions

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 79
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: gideon Sent: 1/3/2005 3:22:42 PM

Maybe what you're talking about is learning how to focus. That is what we are seeking. We can call learning how to focus by the name discipline, but we have to remember that this discipline is not about control and self-restraint.
For me, discipline is like a curse word because people always use it in the context of slavery. But if you are just talking about learning how to focus then it's okay.
If that is what you are talking about, then I agree, we do need to learn how to focus. But learning to focus on Jah is a natural process of growth - no stress.
If that's what you're talking about, then it's a great topic. In fact I would say that as a people this is exactly what mankind needs to address. We need to instruct eachother and learn from eachother how to learn to focus on Jah.
I remember Peter walking on water, but as soon as he looked away from Jesus and looked down he started sinking. We all need to learn to keep our eyes on the prize. Is that what you're talking about?

Messenger: NineMile2004 Sent: 1/3/2005 3:32:01 PM

May JAH be with you! The one that chooses to sin is free to sin. That is not JAH way but he is free to do so for he has free will. only if you follow JAH teachings will you be free of sin. I dont think you overstand the meaning of discipline of the mind. It is not about being a slave, it is about concentrating on what is right and on who we truly are and on the teachings of JAH.

You can truly believe in the grace of god but it is not an excuse for anyone to not be responsible for your actions. Discipline is choosing the right choice in the light of right and wrong. Disciplining yourself by knowing right is not enslaving to anyone, it is following JAH truth. JAH knows we face right and wrong and he wants us to trust in him and make choices accordingly.

Blessings Gideon,

Bergy

Messenger: NineMile2004 Sent: 1/3/2005 3:38:10 PM

Yes in that way I can agree with you. Focusing on the truth so we dont go astray. In that sense is what I see discipline. Words are words and we dont all use them the same way that is what makes it hard to use a word without having misunderstandings...

When you focus on something you discipline yourself to concentrate and not stray from what you are focusing on. If self-discipline and focusing was easy to do, the world would be a much better place. There are many that say they have faith but they have a hard time (including me) to focus/discipline on not going astray.

Its a everyday learning process in life not a sunday thing. Seen? :-)

Blessings my brethren,

Much Love Gideon,

Bergy

Messenger: NineMile2004 Sent: 1/3/2005 3:39:16 PM

I very much think it is self-control with the background of JAH teachings.

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 1/4/2005 12:23:46 AM

All I need to say is that I agree with the reasonings of NineMile2004. My reasonings are the same on this matter.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: Dreadnut Sent: 1/4/2005 4:24:09 AM

We need disciples with Godly discipline. There are many types of discipline, but only Jah way are the right way.

Messenger: gideon Sent: 1/4/2005 3:13:56 PM

"The one who chooses to sin is free to sin."
You are talking about free-dumb.

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 1/4/2005 7:32:03 PM

Teff, don't jump to conclusions, you don't know the context of what the quote is from. It has nothing to do with not paying for actions, it is about every person having the freedom to choose to Live for Jah, or dead in sin.

This is where the quote came from, NineMile2004 said a few posts ago,

------------------
May JAH be with you! [b]The one that chooses to sin is free to sin.[/b] That is not JAH way but he is free to do so for he has free will. only if you follow JAH teachings will you be free of sin. I dont think you overstand the meaning of discipline of the mind. It is not about being a slave, it is about concentrating on what is right and on who we truly are and on the teachings of JAH.

You can truly believe in the grace of god but it is not an excuse for anyone to not be responsible for your actions. Discipline is choosing the right choice in the light of right and wrong. Disciplining yourself by knowing right is not enslaving to anyone, it is following JAH truth. JAH knows we face right and wrong and he wants us to trust in him and make choices accordingly.
------------------

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: NineMile2004 Sent: 1/4/2005 11:39:57 PM

Yes I-jah,

I didnt mean that sinning has no consequences, I believe it does, but we still thru I choices have "freedom" to sin, at least if time is a factor. If time is not a factor than we are not free to sin because there will be a consequence eventually.

In any event, I dont believe in becoming slave to sins for I feel the I can change and go back to the right path at any time and break the cycle. on that note I rather pick to be a "slave" to righteousness ;-)

Respect,

Bergy

Messenger: gideon Sent: 1/5/2005 12:13:32 PM

Free-dumb is a myth. You can only be free to speak. If you know what this means then you will know that no sinner is free.
The only way to be free is by the faith of christ. And christ begins in the heart. But discipline begins in the mind. That is why I know that discipline is part of the free-dumb myth.
When you overstand what it is to be truly free then you will see that life comes only from the heart. There is no need for discipline in order to be who you already are. Discipline is for trying to be what you are not, which is what free-dumb is all about.

If you think you're free to sin then you don't know who you are. You need to learn to identify yourself accurately and then you will know that you are free to live. Sinners are slaves. If you are a sinner then you are a slave, and if you are a slave then you are a sinner. Jah calls men to be free.
I am free, and I am not a slave, and I am not a sinner. Know the truth and the truth will set you free.

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 79

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I