Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=4882&start_row=1

ithopian calendar

1 - 6
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: bhongo bhingi Sent: 9/11/2012 5:08:10 AM

we as Africans adopted the roman calender which is not in line with our own seasons down here. when i'ni first heard of the ithopian calender, the new year made sense to me i.e 11 Sept (1 Maskarram) because to us it is the beggining of life witnessed by trees flowering, the rains about to fall etc. what i do not overstand is why seven years behind the roman calender; the concept of leap year and the 13th month. can kings and queens of wisdom sharpen i on the ithopian calender and its significence to Ithopians (Africans) home and abroad in relation to our way of life.

Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 9/11/2012 10:51:40 PM

Here is some information I found about the Ethiopian calender:

-----------------------------------------
Ethiopia has its own ancient calendar. The Ethiopian Calendar has more in common with the Coptic Egyptian Calendar. The Ethiopic and Coptic calendars have 13 months, 12 of 30 days each and an intercalary month at the end of the year of 5 or 6 days depending whether the year is a leap year or not. The Ethiopian calendar is much more similar to the Egyptian Coptic calendar having a year of 13 months, 365 days and 366 days in a leap year (every fourth year) and it is much influenced by the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church, which follows its ancient calendar rules and beliefs. The year starts on 11 September in the Gregorian Calendar or on the 12th in (Gregorian) Leap Years. The Coptic Leap Year follows the same rules as the Gregorian so that the extra month always has 6 days in a Gregorian Leap Year.

The Ethiopic calendar differs from both the Coptic and the Julian calendars. The difference between the Ethiopic and Coptic is 276 years. In spite of this, the Ethiopic Calendar is closely associated with the rules and the different calculations influenced by the Coptic Church and the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahido Church. Based upon the ancient Coptic Calendar, the Ethiopian Calendar is seven to eight years behind the Gregorian Calendar, owing to alternate calculations in determining the date of the annunciation of the birth of Jesus.

Ethiopian calender
-----------------------------------------

Messenger: bhongo bhingi Sent: 9/12/2012 6:42:40 AM

give thanks, hope it is not much of a deal which calendar one use our Ithopian or the gregorian one.
one love!

Messenger: jessep86 Sent: 9/12/2012 11:42:50 AM

Jah said to look at the sun and stars to tell time, the moon phases, celebrate new moon and sabbath, the stars and sun and moon are the only calander all else is a THOUGHT projected by mans and formed with his hands so one can look at it.

13 moon phases is a whole year. Earth One time around the Sun and moon 13 times around earth is one perfect year.

there is a time beyond earth... time is illusion anyway, just a thought not reality, like death, I rest in the eternal One

Messenger: jessep86 Sent: 9/12/2012 11:45:21 AM

Ethiopia has several local calendars. The most widely known is the Ethiopian calendar, also known as the Ge'ez calendar. It is based on the older Alexandrian or Coptic calendar, which in turn derives from the Egyptian calendar. However, like the Julian calendar, the Ethiopian calendar adds a leap day every four years without exception, and begins the year on 29 August or 30 August in the Julian calendar. A seven to eight-year gap between the Ethiopian and Gregorian calendars results from alternate calculations.

Another prominent calendar system was developed by the Oromo around 300 BC. A lunar-stellar calendar, it relies on astronomical observations of the moon in conjunction with seven particular stars or constellations. Oromo months (stars/lunar phases) are Bittottessa (Iangulum), Camsa (Pleiades), Bufa (Aldebarran), Waxabajjii (Belletrix), Obora Gudda (Central Orion-Saiph), Obora Dikka (Sirius), Birra (full moon), Cikawa (gibbous moon), Sadasaa (quarter moon), Abrasa (large crescent), Ammaji (medium crescent), and Gurrandala (small crescent).

Messenger: bhongo bhingi Sent: 9/18/2012 6:06:32 AM

i n i give thanks king for the sharpening, i take it i n i must not be worried much about time or numbering of dates, but doing the right thing all the time. respect!

1 - 6

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I