Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=4670&start_row=1

Marley

1 - 6
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: bredren aaron Sent: 4/22/2012 8:26:41 AM

Greeetings,

Has anyone seen the new Marley movie that came out this past friday? It came out in theaters,on demand cable and i-tunes. InI have seen it and it is one of the best doc movies I've seen in awhile. It was executive produced by Ziggy Marley and has interviews with people that have been around him from the beginings of his life and career. It shows his passion for Rastafari,his music and his love for the people.It also has shows the arrival of H.I.M. his Imperial Majesty when he arrives in Jamacia and the impact Selassie I has on Bob's life. InI say this is a must see movie.

Blessed ,love,guidance & protection.
bredren aaron.

Messenger: Harry Bone Sent: 4/22/2012 11:03:04 PM

I watched the movie yesterday in LA. It was a great doc!!! It makes me want to be more like Bob. He was a example of how we should be. One Love.

Messenger: Nazarite_I Sent: 4/23/2012 7:48:16 AM

I saw a preview screening with a live Q&A with the director and one of the producers (a man who knew Bob personally) afterwards. The film was good. Gives a better picture of who the man Bob Marley really was, rather than it just being about the music. The footage from His Majesty's visit to Jamaica had some clips I'd never seen before which was good to see, but at the same time I knew right from the outset when I saw Chris Blackwell's name in the opening credits that it wouldn't be perfect because that man is a vampire who prints his own version of events on certain things. The director seemed to agree, but he couldn't actually name the man, even informally, because Blackwell has the money and connections to sue.

Blessed

Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 4/23/2012 8:38:45 PM

I saw the movie on itunes. I thought it was pretty good, there was some nice color footage of Selassie I visiting Jamaica in the film.

I also liked the part where Bob's Idren in Delaware said that Bob grew herb while living in Delaware, even though babylon was cracking down on herb then for just a joint.

Bob Marley was not completely perfect but many people know of RasTafarI because of his music, that's definitely a positive aspect of his Legacy.

Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 4/29/2012 10:21:28 PM

--------------------------
BUNNY Wailer, the surviving member of trailblazing reggae group The Wailers, is unhappy with certain aspects of the just-released documentary, Marley.

For Wailer, who was one of the main voices in the Kevin MacDonald-directed film, Rastafari — a central theme in the life and 'livity' of Bob Marley — was not given its rightful and respectful place in the production

He told the Sunday Observer via telephone that he agreed to be part of the production based on the fact that Bob Marley's eldest son, Ziggy, was executive producer. Therefore, it was felt that this would allow for a true picture of the reggae icon.

However, Wailer's hopes were dashed when he attended a pre-release screening and saw the final cut.

In the hour-and-a-half-long documentary, Wailer offered viewers personal insights and anecdotes into the life of Bob Marley. In his signature style, Wailer is articulate and witty as he paints a picture of the man who rose to superstardom in the late 1970s and died of cancer in 1981 at age 36.

Inspired by the 1966 visit to Jamaica by Ethiopian Emperor Haile Selassie, Marley would spread the word of Rastafari through his music and this, Wailer believes, should

have been given more focus in the documentary.

"Rastafari was what Robert Marley sang about all his life. Rasta music is the legacy he has left us. When I looked, I did not see an emphasis on Rasta — our faith, His Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie and the influence these had on the man Robert Marley," said an incensed Wailer.

"I was not pleased with that," he added.

Although disgruntled, Bunny Wailer still decided

to give Marley's local

premiere on April 19

inside Emancipation Park,

St Andrew, his full support.

But all that would change just hours before the start of the event.

He said just before leaving

for the event, he was informed of the use of the Ethiopian

tri-colour — red, green and gold — as a carpet. This is a symbol revered within Rastafari.

"As a Rasta, I felt disrespected."

His voice raised a few notches, highlighting his anger.

"I was not comfortable with the fact that they had Rasta colours on the ground... it turned me off and I decided not to attend the event," Wailer said.

This latest development only served to compound his previous concerns that Rastafari was being downplayed in the celebration of the life of Bob Marley.

"It is all very troublesome and upsetting that all of this took place. How are they going to fix this?" he questioned.

He lays the blame for this flag faux pas squarely at the feet of Bob Marley's widow Rita, his daughter Cedella and Chris Blackwell, founder of Island Records which distributed several of Marley's albums.

"This was a total disgrace and I am happy I was not there to witness what Rita, Cedella and Chris Blackwell did to the memory of my brother. It was filthy and dirty and I could never be involved in anything like this. How are we going to heal? I don't understand Rita," an angry Bunny Wailer stated.

Marley's music career as a member of The Wailers began in 1964 when he joined forces with friend Neville 'Bunny Wailer' Livingston and Winston 'Peter Tosh' McIntosh.

They recorded several ska and hardcore reggae songs before Tosh and Wailer left for solo careers in 1973.

Tosh was gunned down at his St Andrew home in September of 1987.
--------------------------

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 5/2/2012 12:08:50 AM

Red, Gold and Green to walk under your feet, that is truly a disrespect. Many people don't Iverstand such things.

1 - 6

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I