Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=3445&start_row=1

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 35
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: ghetto soldier Sent: 3/27/2009 10:39:49 AM

can somebody there teach me how to speak patoi well.I want to be fluent in it.If yes,please keep sending words,phrases,idioms and their meaning to my box.help me please.JAH LUV.

Messenger: rootz Sent: 3/30/2009 9:15:17 AM

bless

yes i, me learn patois from di musician dem. still me nuh seh a skill gyal dis caah me hear nuff a dem new tings when di rasta dem chant widdi dialect. just google 'patois' or 'patwa' and yuh go get di dictionery still. from now on when yuh hear dem ina di reggae/ragga/dancehall ting, yuh afi straight up listen fiddem a so yuh afi hear what dem a seh.

RootsTafari
SELAHSSIE I!
Jah!
Rastafari!

Messenger: Humble Rasta Sent: 3/30/2009 12:26:53 PM

I agree wit da Idren.
listening to wat da musicians say helps a lot.
da internet is a good source too!

http://www.speakjamaican.com/long.html
http://www.wikihow.com/Speak-Rastafarian-English

Da I can also read this(i find it interesting-its Neo Patwa though)
http://patwa.pbwiki.com/Guide

I do hope,though,that da I is not learning patwa to 'sound' like a 'rasta' (dont take offence please).
a lota rastas tink daat 'sounding' like a jamaican meks dem 'seem' more profound in da faith that others (personal experience)

Menen I
Rastafari

Messenger: Ras I-Tom Sent: 3/30/2009 1:07:50 PM

I overstand the I them learning to use Iyaric. however if someone is not from the caribbean then why would they want to learn how to speak a jamaican/caribbean patois? the words that the I see such as 'gyall', and 'dem' or 'wunna' 'de'...etc.etc. is spelt how it sounds. it comes from the dialect. If someone does not speak a caribbean dialect why would they want to learn to if it is unnatural to them? It does not sound the same anyway when it is forced.

But whatever makes the I them happy. Jah neither loves you any more or any less because of it...

Ises unto Negus I Jahovia God Jah RasTafari!

Messenger: BONGO IYAH Sent: 3/30/2009 1:48:53 PM

RastafarI
excelent point Ras I-Tom. It is like fake it is one thing to learn a new language such as french or spanish, but a cultural dialect. It must be one of those "cool" things to do. It is foolish and when I&I hear someone speaking or atempting to speak patwa it sounds at the least absurd. So many wolves in sheep clothing think to speak like a "Jamaican" has something to do with RASTAFARI. It shows the sheep and the wolf quite clearly. I&I spend much time in and around the caribbean and can overstand patois quite clearly yet it is not my native tongue and after all these years it still does not rub off. In fact ocasionally I will rant in patois to I&I Ja bredrin and sistren and all have a good laugh because it sounds so ridiculous coming from an amerikan.lol I will never get why people insist on taking on things that are not of their own identity. It is a white man trying to be black or a black man trying to be white. It can never happen there is a cultural difference and i am glad for that. I&I think that it shows ignorance and foolishness to do so. So if the I was to study Iyaric as Ras I-Tom said that is one thing but to be something different is a whole different ball of wax. Seen? Ask thyself why? and What good is to come from this. What good is the I doing for RastafarI listening to musicians and trying to act and speak like I them? This is not JAH work, Do Jah work, Study a language, anything do not be as a parrot. Does the I realize that many Ras who write in this forum do not write in what you call patois. And does the I them realize Rasta can sense the wolf in sheep clothing when the I speak in such foolish fake nonsense. FYAH BURN FYAH HOTTA FYAH FYAH FYAH on that... there is I man "response to "learnin" patois. It is no less than reading H.I.M. autobiography and thinking oh, I see i know "of H.I.M. so I am a Rastaman, Sorry sprout it does not work like that. If I seem offended perhaps it is more a feeling of knowing what Reality is. And to spend time trying to sound like something the I them are not is of the FLESH. Wasted time. TOO much work to be done for this foolishness. Are you nothing more than a parrot? RASTAFARI is about culture. I&I culture learn who the I is not how to sound like some musician or someone from Ja. Study it that is fine but really to come on this site and try to lay down some BullS*&T. Please grow wise Idren. Stop this folly that is what it is. I&I have Troded this path for almost 30 years and still the Same wolf shows up thinking they are something they are not. Wise Up. JAH WORKS JAH WORKS JAH WORKS... Do the Works of JAH and trust I there is no time to Play, and that is what this is folly and Idle play. It is True. If the I lost I them mortal body today the I them would spend eternity playing these very same games. LOL Do what pleases JAH not the flesh. Realize this could be the I's last moments on earth what have the I them done for JAH today. How has the I helped a bredrin or sistern. What works in faith has happened today? SEEN?
Selassie I
Iyah

Messenger: rootz Sent: 3/31/2009 3:53:14 AM

bless bongo iyah

first and foremost i want to straight up say RELAX! you don't even know why the soldier wants to learn it. it could be coz he likes the music but doesn't know what the musicians are singing about. i don't think its being 'fake' or any bloodclaat ting like dat if one wants to learn patois. bun dat! iyaric is the 'rastaman chant' and it also includes the accent by the way! it was started by the early rastas in JAMAICA, yes ie baba ras marcus, holy emanuel i and even others where dem a start seh 'i-nana' instead of banana. it then spread to 'africa' and other places like sweden etc as rastafari took up root. if you watch these shows like 'rebel salute' you'd find that during the intervals, the people ie swedish people being interviewed chant wit patois and yes, using this 'jamaican dialect' that you speak of. it's saying even though french came from france.. when someone wants to learn bout the french culture and they learn the language, they have to speak french in an english accent or else they're being fake. fyah bun dat!

word+sound=power

when you're saying something(word) and how you're saying it(sound.. yes, accent included) then it gives power to what you're saying. when you learn the dialect in an englisherised way then obviously it would sound funny to someone who actually speaks it coz it's not like you're saying it the right way! you're 'englisherising' it!

i don't know about you but i learned in primary school that culture is the way or life of a particular group of people according to their dress, language', music, belief/faith etc etc and i still find relevance in that definition.

-------------------------------------------
lol I will never get why people insist on taking on things that are not of their own identity. It is a white man trying to be black or a black man trying to be white.

i don't have a problem when someone wants to learn something new. but dat's just me..

So if the I was to study Iyaric as Ras I-Tom said that is one thing but to be something different is a whole different ball of wax
------------------------------------------

i don't get the last part of that statement coz the i never said he wanted to change his identity.. again dat's just me..

Does the I realize that many Ras who write in this forum do not write in what you call patois. And does the I them realize Rasta can sense the wolf in sheep clothing when the I speak in such foolish fake nonsense.

FYAH for that!

p.s i didn't mean by him listening to the music then he should try and imitate them. obviously when one learns a 'language' they have to hear from someone who knows it well how to pronounce the words etc. it didn't even take me '30' years to garner dat.

RootsTafari
Selassie I
JAH!
RastafarI

Messenger: rootz Sent: 3/31/2009 3:53:47 AM

no offence

RootsTafari
Selassie I
JAH!
RastafarI

Messenger: Humble Rasta Sent: 3/31/2009 4:24:14 AM

Big respeck to di Idrens!
Sending some good Irations trough sea and ocean to di I soul!
One true luv and the fire burning in our fathers house!

I-wombman agree with RootsTafarI.there's nothing wrong with wanting fi learn patwa.there's nothing wrong with wanting fi learn something that is not part of da I culture.
as long as da I knows where ni stands in da I faith...
I didnt see,also,where Roots said anything about Jahman needing fi change his identity...

Jah Empress Menen I Jah Rastafari

Messenger: rootz Sent: 3/31/2009 4:45:25 AM

sight!

Messenger: BONGO IYAH Sent: 3/31/2009 7:56:16 AM

RASTAFARI
rootz and other,young Sprouts I&I said it is GOOD to learn about another language or culture, I said nothing about not learning. Learning is knowledge. did the rootz not read that clearly? rootz I read the I them post and the rootz switch from patois to english , back and forth. CONFUSION, foolish confusion.It shows I do not tell I to Relax when I see such folly. The I them is speculating about the Ras wanting to learn patois. It is obvious to I that rootz learn "patois" to use it here on this site. I&I am not speaking of IYARIC, that is different, and using words like bumbo claat tht is not IYARIC. does the I even know what a Bumbo KLAAT is? I'll give thee a hind, a woman uses it to stop up her monthly bleeding. Now do the I them think Prince Emanuel or Garvey spoke that way? HUMMM? That is foolish to try and defend the I them by using such HOLY Bredrin. Think SON. and I tell the I this as Truth, there is a big difference in learning patois and Iyaric, SEEN? It is Good for RAS to use I in I language. Prince Emanuel spoke patois long before He spoke Iyaric. That is totally different than when I see the rootz and others "parroting" like the I them from Jah or the carribean. It is up to the I them to sound foolish, I take no offence because it is not about I&I EGO. Learning and Parroting as the I them does is a big difference, SEEN? DO what the I will. FYAH BURN on Fake speach it is a WOLF in SHEEP CLOTHING. It is like people who carry locks and wear Ithiopian colors, yet still create folly and confusion in others lives. SEEN? If the shoe fits, walk in them. SO, rootz the I can para phrase what I said but reading the I them post shows I that misunderstanding has occured. SO Let those who have eyes see. The blind can lead the blind but it does not make something true. LEARN everything, but honestly, if the I them could be on I&I recieving end when a sprout is attemting to "sound" it is foolishness and very humoruos. It goes to show I&I that the rootz them knows not the difference in Iyaric and patois. I&I said nothing about learning and even using IYARIC. Do not use Emanuel's name in the I them defence, FYAH BURN that ignorance, check thy self. I will not RELAX when I read such ignorance, I am talking about young sprouts as thee parroting a language thee is not apart of. If the I them wish to be foolish it is up to thee. I&I am telling the I thm it is pure foolishness to use it when I&I know it is not of thee. SO, FYAH BURN... Again do not take Garvey or Emanuel and even Iyaric to defend the pure fact that the I them are parroting "patois". The I should know that patois and IYARIC are of different nature, get the facts straight. I&I will dust I shoes from this post because I&I realize it falls upon DEAF ears. wallow in thy foolishness and drown in thy own misunderstanding, because the I them is not OVERSTANDING what I am sighting just by the unseasoned responses. The I them speak without Truth and knowledge on this subject, I&I recieve I knowledge from RASTAFARI through the Hights, not in some patois dictionary or on line. SEEN? If I offended thee well good then, because it tells I that the I them EGO is in the way.LOL this is why nothing another can say to I will cause offense, I&I am speaking from the Heart of Knowledge. The rootz post souned like it is from some young foolish child. Silence is above all Learning. Do not speak on a subject if the I is only speculating. Do not paraphrase what I&I am saying when it is obvious the I is blind to what i&I am saying. FYAH, FYAH, FYAH... Young sprout the I them has much to learn about the difference between the I&I.
SELASSIE I LIVE
Iyah

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 35

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I