Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=3392&start_row=1

Ethiopian Orthodox Fasting Rules

1 - 2
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Eleazar1234 Sent: 2/24/2009 11:07:33 AM

Here is something an Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Priest told me about fasting for Holy Lent:

The mercy of our Great God and Saviour, Jesus Christ be always with you. Amen!

Thank you for the letter; we are between services here, so I am check the Monastery email for the first time today.

Regarding Fasting; the rule of “Fasting” in the EOTC = Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church are as follows. Throughout the entire year, (with the exception of the fifty days after Easter [Easter Sunday – Pentecost Sunday] there is no fasting period), all Wednesdays and Fridays are fast days. On these days (Wednesday & Friday only) the faithful fast from all foods until 3 p.m., after which they can eat, but basically a vegetarian diet…no meat, egg, all dairy products. Fluids like water, plain tea, coffee, (no sugar, milk), juices and of course any medications one needs are permitted. If due to medical reasons a person must eat breakfast, lunch etc., they follow the Doctors ruling; this person who has to eat can certainly fast in their heart. During the Great Lenten Fast the same strictly Vegetarian diet is the rule. Meals are reduced from three too two (for those adults in good health); Ethiopians have a concoction of boiled grain and chick peas that is allowed as a snack that does not violate the fasting laws. Of course the most important thing is not the outward “Fast” but the inward fast of prayer, repentance and works of charity.

I must go for now; may the Lord bless you’re observance of the Lenten fast.

Abba Yohannes

Monk Priest

Messenger: Eleazar1234 Sent: 2/24/2009 11:07:56 AM

1 - 2

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I