Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=3281&start_row=1

Selassie/Sellassie

1 - 6
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Eleazar1234 Sent: 12/7/2008 10:23:47 AM

The book I have of My Life and Ethiopia's Progress Vol 2 spells a few words strange. It spells Selassie as Sellassie and Addis Ababa as Addis Abeba. I copied everything how it appeared in the book

PRAISE BE TO ALMIGHTY JAH RASTAFARI

Messenger: Arkon I Sent: 12/7/2008 10:33:16 AM

I and I have the same mistake in I book.

Maybe it's the producer's fault?
Or maybe translator (Eddie Ullendorff) did some mistakes.

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 12/7/2008 11:25:53 AM

It might just be a phonetic spelling.

eg. the city is spelled Addis Ababa, but it is spoken Addis Abeba

Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 12/7/2008 4:12:25 PM

Greetings...

Not sure about the spelling of Selassie or Sellassie, we are talking about english interpretation of a syllabic language written only One way in Amaharic or Ge'ez, and open to phonetic interpretation in english.

Ras KebreAb, in Amharic I'm quite sure that the words Ababa, and Abeba are spelled differently (am I mistaken)? The words Addis Ababa are meant to mean new flower, right?, so I can see why an english interpretor would want to make the distiniction between the word "flower" which sounds like Abeba and the word Ababa, which is a priest title for "father"(correct?)...

Selam

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 12/7/2008 9:26:54 PM

Yes i, it might be just as the i say, although i cannot imagine how anyone who reads Addis Ababa or Addis Abeba could ever confuse it with the word Ababa, which, yes, is an affectionate way of saying father,or elder.

Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 12/10/2008 6:34:43 AM

I think the confusion comes from the common english spelling ababa. Most people reading that word in english for the first time have no idea how it is really supposed to sound, so they look for a definition of the phonetic sound. I think many are also already familiar with the word ababa, as in Ababa Jan Hoi, and so they jump to the "fatherly" definition.

Selam

1 - 6

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I