Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=2950&start_row=1

Rastafari/yoga connection

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 32
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: liberated_Ras777 Sent: 7/28/2008 3:15:34 PM

Sadhu mystical influence on the Rastafari Movement

The purpose of this article is to reveal that missing link which has been forgotten . The Classic Rastafari was influenced strongly by the teachings of the "Hindu" Mystics also known as Sadhus, Sadhu means "one who practices" the sadhu lives a life of celibacy and complete separation from the evils of modern society.

The Sadhu lives its life in complete devotion to the higher I, they often renounce their familes and homes to become enlightened beings.

We can observe by the many rituals practiced by the Rastafari today that InI were influenced by these dreadlocked mystic men.

Rastafari tenets influenced by sadhus include:

Smoking herb to achieve oneness with the higher I: The Sadhu smokes herb from a chillum mixed with tobacco to lessen the harshness of the hash/herbs. The sadhu does this to become one with the god shiva thru a ritual in which the baba becomes one with its true self, which is the unborn, unblemished I within I.

Ritual chanting to induce mystical rapture: the mystic sadhu chants mantras to protect the mind from external influences which can hinder spiritual growth. The Word mantra Mean literally "to protect the mind" by chanting mantra one removes blockages, create abundance, destroy etc. THe Sadhu as well as the RastafarI is aware of the power of the word sound it is said in the scrpitures that the lord created all things by the medium of the word sound.One of the most "popular" mantras used by the sadhus is the mystical "AUM" we can find the OM in the trinity Beseme AB (A) Wolde (U) Wo menfes Quiddus AHAdu Amlak (M) the world Amlak means the "source" the source of all things is the AUM. Mantras used by INI in the movment is found in the book of psalms, if the psalms are used properly with strong will and faith it can unblock chkras, destroy negative patterns basically anything that the mind concieves can be done thru the chanting of the mantra.

Mystical States of mind: The state of being in a "Higher Ites" of meditation called samahdi by the sadhu, in this state of mind one has realized the true essence of the divine self , in this state one no longer sees the I outside of the I but rather has the experience of being the "I".

The Seven Seals, CHAKRAS: The Seven Seals is one of the most prominent themes within the Rastafari movement, As the scriptures did state "Behold the lion of the tribe of judah, the root of david hath prevailed to open the book and to loose the seven seals thereof" Revelation 5:5. The Seven Seals/ Chakras are energy centers within the body of the ascetic Rastafari/yogi , they are located in different parts of the bodies .

1. Muladhara: The Muladhara chkra is located at the base of the spine. The root is where the slumbering kundalini rests until it is summoned upwards. The Seat of physical conciousness: it regulates the sexual organs, in these organs, We find the polirazation of the male and female principles (Ovaries and Testes)

2.Svadisthana: This Chkra is located just below the navel and represents the lower vital reigions of the being. It govverns the notions of greed, envy, fear, and desires. It also influences the adrenal glands.

3.Manipura: Manipura chkra is found cosmically in the navel center. It governs the larger life passions of wo/man. hunger and power are also governed by this chakra. The manipura chakra influences the endocrine system.

4. Anahata: the Anahata chakra is located in the heart region its symbol is the six pointed star, known to the israelites as the star of david; this region governs the emotion of love, and in hebrew the name "David" means love or beloved. This chkra commands the higher emotions and psychic energy.

5.Visuddha: This is the chkra of the throat center. This is the center of self expression through the logos/word. It represents the power to deal mentally with the physical mind> It also governs the thyroid glands.

6. Ajna: This Chkra is known as the 3 eye center. it is located between the brow in the area of the pituatary gland. It represents the Inner will, the power of decision, and the ability to understand beyond what the ordinary mind can percieve. One who is concious is rasised to this level is meditative, and on their way to self realization. It is the final preparation and rest; for this reason, it may be likened to the "sixth day" of the jews, who begin their preparations for the sabbath sun down friday

7.SHASRARA: This is the crown chakra, and is the summit of completion, and bliss to such a blessed one. It is the highest conciousness center and its located above the head, acting as a connecting point between the inner and outer phenomena; a link between the individual and universal concious. It is the state of illumined mind, and opens one to the psychic,intuitive planes. It is the "Seventh day" to the Isrealites, Where they symbolically rest: it is a state of completion, and one who has realized this crown enters once and for all the silence of self, and are thus trancendant of spirit and matter. Finally this chkra is the root reason why it has been taught that god is above; initially this concept spoke of the trancendence of the mind thought but was eventually corrupted into a notion of a "sky-god" somewhere far off. For when one merges with the seven, the crown, one verily becomes one with the concept of diety.

The Above Information on the chakras was extracted from I Idren Baba Immanuel bhujangi ganguru I book titled Haile Selassie I and the concept of enlightment.

Dreadlocks/Jata: The first locksmen to be seen in the island of jamaica were sadhus that came with the influx of indentured slaves from india. The Ancient Rastafari being influenced by the yogic science started to grow "JATA" known to INI as locks these locks were grown to symbolize that the Rastafari/yogi has given up all worldly things. Shaving or combing of locks symbolizes "False Devotion" to the things of the world, by becoming a dread one has renounced all wordly acrivities to become one with the I within. Locks and Beards are antennas which provide a direct link with the spirits of nature, The locks represent the manifested life force (RA) if we look at the pattern of creation all occurs in a spiral motion..

I and I: I the ego I the god within: There are two "I"-s: the ego and Atman. Atman reveals itself as one's true self to the person who is capable of getting above the "I", "me", and "mine".

The Upanishads (hindu scriptures)

Avatars: In hindu philosophy there is the "belief" that God incarnates at different times within the physical body of an annointed king . Haile Selassie I and Empress Menen I are the incarnated godhead. in hindu philosphy this union symbolizes shiva and shakti, Shiva is the male principle which is known as the destroyer, Rastafari is the destroyer of all ego, he came to break down the walls of illusion and downpression thru the teachings of Iyesus Kristos the master mystic , the medicine of the world. Shakti is the female principles, shakti is the representation of the I within the I, the holy spirit is woman (read proverbs) she is known as wisdom, the crowned queen of the universe.Empress Menen I is the embodiment of the female principle of the godhead, as Rastafari is the embodiment of the male this divine union of Fire (male) and Water (female) is represent by the six pointed star which is a symbol for the heart chkra.

Krishna/Christ: The hindus believe in the Ivinity of the master medicine Iyesus Kristos in the form of Hare Krishna, the name Hare Krishna means "energy of god" Iyesus Kristos being god manifested in the flesh is the energy of the godhead, he is the manifestation of the hidden. He Was crucified between the two thieves and stood in the middle path to save mankind from the illusion of this world.

Reincarnation: This topic varies in opinion in the Rastafari movement, there are some who believe in reincarnation, some that dont . It is the general belief of Rastafari to sight Haile Selassie I as the returned christ or simply as christ in his kingly character, the above implies that HAile Selassie I has reincarnated in another form. There is the notion within the movement to see Marcus Garvey as the Reincarnation of John the Baptist. Reincarnation occurs so that InI spirit gains experience to eventually enter in to the realm of godhood (TOTAL SUSPENSION OF ACTivity)

Haile Selassie I and the practice of yoga

The book known as the Emperor reveals that Haile Selassie I devoted H.I.Mself to the science of yoga.

"The Emperor now devoted HIMself to long periods of meditation (In this the hindus once gave him instructions, ordering H.I.M to stand on one leg, forbidding H.I.M to breathe, making him close his eyes) HE would meditate in his office for hours

Page 156 THE EMPEROR

In conclusion in I studies I have found that the hindus were influenced by African mystics from ethiopia who traveled to india to bring the science of the yogini to the indians. The purity of this science has been corrupted by aryan invaders which included alot of man made ideas. Haile Selassie I being the Supreme Mystic and hierophant of the world mystery revealed to InI the faithful the path of yoga, thru the teaching of Iyesus Kristos we become familiar with how a Rastafari/yogi should live.

Yoga is a universal science it is not a religion like some would assume it to be. It is a way of life which is practiced by many people of different faiths. YOga is our way to become united with our god within, with the people around us.

Blessed Love to one and all may the Iternal peace of I Haile Selassie I be with the I AMEN RASTAFARI

Messenger: Ras power Sent: 8/4/2008 2:37:47 AM

man read selassie auto biogrophy, there is no missing link to ras-tafari(selassie i)

Knowing that material and spiritual progress are essential to man, we must ceaselessly work for the equal attainment of both. Only then shall we be able to acquire that absolute inner calm so necessary to our well-being. Whenever conflict arises between material and spiritual values, the conscience plays an important role and anyone who suffers from a guilty conscience is never really free from this problem until he makes peace with himself and his conscience

Material and Spiritual Progress

if there is a missing link is not following his majesty words

blessed love

Messenger: liberated_Ras777 Sent: 8/4/2008 1:35:08 PM

Haile Selassie I King Rastafari King of Glory

Blessings and Love Idren

May Haile Selassie I Itinue to fill the I with HIM Light.

I-loved Idren I am aware that Rastafari has no missing link for Rastafari is the fullness of Iration. Haile Selassie I emcompasses all things, all things are in HIM so ILOVED FOR THAT REASON THERE IS NO NEED TO SEPARATE SEEN?

I man is well aware of Haile Selassie I speeches and His autobiography I will re read again when time is right. However I read His WORDS EVERYDAY.. Iloved lets not play the game of words here Rastafari/yoga connection article was written to highlight the fact that Rastafari is Indeed the fullness of Iration, HIM is in every school of thought if one searches deep the pages of history and liturgy. I man never wrote the article sayiong here is..... the missing connection to Rastafari.. there is noting missing in Rastafari..

More love and uplifment

Rastafari lives!

Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 8/5/2008 2:50:36 PM

Greetings...

No missing link, for His Majesty put it Right out there:

"Were the thoughts of Plato and Socrates, the beliefs of Christianity and Judaism not harmonized with Hindu philosophy; were Yoga and its various stages not exposed to Western thought; had Western religion and philosophy not been exposed to the philosophy and religion of the East through Your Excellency's persistent endeavour, how much the poorer would human thought have been!"

-H.I.M. Qedemawi Haile Selassie

His Majesty regarding Radhakrishna, and the subject of Yoga, etc.

Give Thanks Liberated Ras for the post, Give Thanks Baba for the light!!

There are many ways that Ones read the Ible, but His Majesty always makes things quite clear.

SELAM

Messenger: Ras power Sent: 8/5/2008 7:02:49 PM

blessed love and welcome the reasoning, ini well awear of yoga, i do it , well time to time and the benifits can be uplifting. and did not meant to appear hash, i appologise, but just saying knowing H.I.M first, then all knowledge is benifical, i always see yoga as neutral, in tearm of religon

Messenger: Ras power Sent: 8/5/2008 7:10:40 PM

i still don't see ritual as part of rastafari, what but smoke weed, indeed men incoperated these things into their faith,which i believe weakens their faith, i only trust in H.I.M for rea, faith, leave rituals for the churches especally the catholics,

Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 8/5/2008 7:38:40 PM

I would agree that in terms of religion, yoga is a neutral force, however, if we are not confusing religion with spirituality, I would say that yoga practiced in certain ways can be a very powerful spiritual force.

As far as ritual goes, there are not many rituals that have the power to uplift the mind and body as does yoga. Although I don't really know if calling yogic practice a ritual is correct either (I'm not really sure if the I was implying it was a ritual or not, so there's no assertion there).

I agree that rituals are a very churchical practice, but at the same time we have to take into account His Majesty's relationship to the church. Ethiopian Tewahedo Church rituals are a practice in which His Majesty partook and presided over on a daily basis. These rituals go beyond the church and into all sorts of aspects of the Ethiopian Orthodox community's life. These rituals do help to fuse the echoes of ancient Ethiopia into the more modern and superficial Ethiopia that has come into existence in the last few decades. Ethiopia does still retain her Inciency in ritual that may have held greater significance in the past or as it does today amongst those who still have the mind to see it. Much is being lost on the youth.

But we should think about what ritual meant to His Majesty, no? I feel there may be great significance in some rituals.

SELAM

Messenger: Baba Eye Sent: 8/6/2008 3:55:30 AM

HAILE SELASSIE I kept such a perfect afro. wonder what kind of sheen He uses. Probably some good stuff.

O how I love H.I.M.

without knowing H.I.M. I woulda signed into the world and all its games.

DaDa. Yimasgan.

Selah See Eye.

SOL-OM-ON. GEN-ISIS. ISIS-RA-EL. YAH-ESHU-AH.

Ba

Messenger: liberated_Ras777 Sent: 8/6/2008 10:21:07 AM

Haile Selassie I and Empress Menen Perfect balance of Iration

Blessed Love I

Ises I

We must eradicate the mental biases that can develop thru the left brained education process of religion. There is a GENERAL idea that the "True " Rastafari does not deal with other sciences i FEEL HERE THAT IT IS SAFE TO SAY THAT THIS IS THE REASON WHY i AN i IS stagnant RIGHT NOW IT IS BECAUSE i AN i WANT TO iTNUE TO FIT IN THE SAME BOX THAT WAS CREATED YEARS AGO.

Haile Selassie I Say:
And we must look into ourselves, into the depth of our souls. We must become something we have never been and for which our education and experience and environment have ill-prepared us. We must become bigger than we have been: more courageous, greater in spirit, larger in outlook. We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations but to our fellow men within the human community.

We have to broaden our vision, of course im not telling ones to lose focus on Haile Selassie but I mean to grow in mental capacity and see the benefits of sciences such as yoga,yoruba,astrology,vedic sciences. If one studies them properly without becoming heavily immersed in rituals which are supposed to be trancended one can truly grow spiritually.

Give thanks for the light bearers Hail up Ras Power, Baba Eye, Sun of Man Hail the I within thee Itinually RASTAFARI

Haile Selassie I nd Empress Menen I

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 8/6/2008 11:33:23 AM

"i FEEL HERE THAT IT IS SAFE TO SAY THAT THIS IS THE REASON WHY i AN i IS stagnant RIGHT NOW IT IS BECAUSE i AN i WANT TO iTNUE TO FIT IN THE SAME BOX THAT WAS CREATED YEARS AGO."

I do not mean any disrespect to the i in anyway....but to i,personally, those words are the same as what those Ethiopians who rebelled against HIM, saying things like "things are stagnant....we need more progress...reh,reh,reh"
The incient trodditions of Rastafari are being called a "box" nowadays?
"CREATED YEARS AGO"?....was it? And here i am thinking that Rastafari Is from in the Beginning without end
Can someone make i overstand how something that is,was,and forever shall be can be "stagnant".

And the i would be mistaken to think that ini think that True Rastafari doesnt deal with (other??) sciences, it is just that True Rastafari is above all sciences,religions,paths of spirituality.Rastafari is the highest of high.
So do not think that i am saying that ini should not read all these things,,not at all,, i love knowledge...but i love Wisdom first,,and the Love of Jah is the greatest of wisdoms.
So any time you sight TRUTH, anywhere....anywhere,,in religion or spirituality....you are sighting Rastafari, you are not finding anything new.
So seek seek, i dont sight anything wrong with that, but the moment you start thinking that we need something new to add to Rastafari because it is "stagnant", you have failed already.

If you search for something and you find it...do you still continue to search for other ways to find what you have found already?

i would rather concentrate on keeping what i have found and making the best use of what i have found

And ini have found HIM already,or Rather,He has found ini, so i concentrate on being obedient to i Fathers will and strive to make HIM proud of ini,His children.

I think I Father would be more pleased with i if i took an hour to go out and do a good deed for someone,instead of taking an hour to do yoga,trying to get closer to HIM when i am already One with HIM,trying to reach HIM when i can just open i mouth and speak to HIM

just a humble ipinion
Blessed Love to you all.
Rastafari

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 32

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I