Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=240&start_row=1

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ras John Sent: 3/4/2004 7:23:02 PM

I read on a site a week or two ago about a secret society Selassie belonged to called Nyahbinghi which the Rasta sect, Nyahbinghi, is named after. Does anyone know about this? I would really like to learn a lot more about this. Whenever I learn new things bout HIM I get really interested and tings, so please link me information.

Bless up

Ras John

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 3/4/2004 10:59:50 PM

Greetings,

In 1935, the newspapers around the world published the story about Haile Selassie I being the Head of the Nyahbinghi. He was crowned head of the Nyahbinghi in 1930 in Moscow. Over 80 representatives from Africa came to the meeting. The Nyahbinghi was set up as a force against the colonial occupiers of African countries.

Some people have said that the story was made as propaganda against Selassie I. Used as an excuse to say that he is a threat to the colonialists. And others say that it is true.

I feel that the meeting did take place and Selassie I is the Head of the Nyahbinghi. But I also feel that babylon did use the story as a propaganda tool to sway the other colonialists towards their desires.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: Nefertiti Sent: 3/5/2004 12:47:04 AM

Blessed Love, Jah Rasta Far I.....
THE AFRICAN ORIGINS OF THE NYAHBINGHI

The Nyahbinghi cult of southern Uganda and northern Rwanda was inspired by a famous and historical woman. The cult was one of a number of possession cults found in Africa in areas which celebrated legendary heroes called emandwas. While in other cults the emandwa could be summoned by any initiated member, access to the spirit of Queen Nyahbinghi was limited to the “bagirwa” (those who initiate) who claimed to have been selected by her as her medium and therefore to have the exclusive power to invoke her presence and interpret her will. The bagirwa were mainly female.

The bagirwa claimed the power to evoke supernatural forces to punish those who angered or ignored her spirit or failed to accede to her demands. After demonstrating these powers the mere threat of exercising them was enough to gain obedience.

To become a follower of Nyahbinghi, a diviner’s advice was required. The purpose was for protection against mishaps in life. Offerings were generally made to Nyahbinghi priests and priestesses who displayed chieflike royal behaviour, maintaining courts with numerous attendants showing royal insignia such as drums. Many wore veils and could not be seen by ordinary people.

The cult had no initiation rites or communal rituals. It brought together diverse tribes in Africa against European rule and was unique because of its effective resistance to colonial rule, utilizing traditional African religious beliefs to paralyze colonial administration.

That a traditional possession cult without a significant ideology could maintain such a tenacious and effective vehicle for opposition to alien rule ensures the Nyahbinghi cult a distinctive position in the history of Africa. In spite of the seemingly strong parochialism of its method and purpose, the Nyahbinghi cult succeeded in immobilizing the administrative efforts of three colonial power for nearly two decades until its suppression in 1928.

The name Nyahbinghi means “she who possesses many things”. The cult was outlawed by all colonialist powers under punishment of jail, beatings and ridicule. Adherents to the cult were often killed. However, when a person who was possessed by the spirit of Nyahbinghi died, Nyahbinghi’s spirit traveled on and possessed someone else, making it impossible to destroy the cult.

Queen Njaving (Navingi) seems to have been the woman after whom the Nyahbinghi was named. Queen Kitami and Queen Muhumusa were the two women leaders who pioneered the spread of the Nyahbinghi cult after the death of Queen Nyahbinghi under tragic circumstances. However, some historians felt that Queen Kitami’s name was just an alternative title for Nyahbinghi and that she was Queen Njavingi.
Queen Kitami was an “Amazon Queen” whose royal drum was stolen by a man named Kamuraral and with it control over her country of Mpororo. After her death she was said to become immortal and continued to issue commands through the mouths of her bagirwa, urging them to regain control over their homeland from alien rulers.

After being suppressed in 1928, the cult rose again during the 1930s with Mussolini’s threat to Ethiopia. It rapidly spread from Ethiopia to every corner of Africa and to the United States. The Congo was one of its main strongholds and many raids were made against the colonialists. Queen Muhumusa was recorded as the fiercest anti-colonialist leader of the Nyahbinghi.

Under her leadership the Nyahbinghi made a determined effort to drive the colonialists from the shores of Africa. She proclaimed herself Queen of Ndorwa and liberator from European domination and launched a war against European occupation of her land. The cult was eventually controlled by placing her under house arrest and lulling the Africans with pacification methods of better education, rival possession cults, better jobs and opportunities.

On Dec, 7, 1935 the Jamaica Times reprinted an article entitled “Secret Society to Destroy Whites” on the Nyahbinghi cult in Africa. The article claimed that the Nyahbinghi had organized a “Pan-Negro” conference in Moscow and that Emperor Haile Selassie I had been appointed officially as the head of the Nyahbinghi.

It reported that his words upon accepting his post were “Death to the enemies of the African race.” The Nyahbinghi was pioneered in Jamaica after this article and the meaning of the Nyahbinghi translated from the Emperor’s words, and the fact that the article said that the word meant “death to the colonialists.”

The Nyahbinghi was begun as a theocratic, active non-violent, control-of-good-over-evil-way of life on the island. It answered the call of the Nyahbinghi in Africa for the evolution of the Nyahbinghi into a way of life that could withstand colonial gunpowder with spiritual might and certainty of the victory of good over evil.

Messenger: Za-Za Sent: 3/5/2004 9:52:24 AM

WOW! Nefertiti I bet you that so many OTHER rastas thought Nyah was just a sect of rastas in JA that named themselves after the conference and the order. Rwanda and Uganda are Brunde they are cousin of the Habshea (Ethiopians) if you ever see them they look like dark skin ethiopians. I know many Brundes in America in they always know some ethiopians. I personally love the so-called "cult" of Nyah. She , I believe, is known as Orshira, another African Goddess that known thoughout Central and West Africa. That was again a beautiful piece about the TRUTH of Rastafari thru African eyes/history. "Death to the enemies of the African RACE or "Death to the colonalist" now that a BIG statement to come from HAILE SELASSIE I
HAIL HAILE SELASSIE I the guardian of the foregein adventurers!
And so many rasta still think Rastafari is NOTHING of race.
You did it to me again Nefertiti.....smile that is! Get 'em girl!

One
ZA-ZA
P.S. Ark I thought you trod with Nyah and your teaching was lacking to what she said. Actually I thought that Nyah in Rasta still worship the Goddess (Nyah)and Selassie as King of Kings upon the earth, and not as JAH or God, maybe my mistake...

Messenger: Ras John Sent: 3/5/2004 11:06:33 AM

Thanks a lot Nefertiti... that's so fascinating!!! I can't get over it... I really want to learn more about it, still. Do you have sources or anything where you got that information that I can read more about it from??

One love - bun downpressors!

Ras John

Messenger: Bro Jahphet Anbesa I Sent: 3/5/2004 12:29:36 PM

Greetings I

I have not time now to read this article, Nefertiti.... but shure I will.

I just want to tell you people not to believe the Fascist Propaganda!
I was taught about this by some Bredren who are well informed about this, one of them is a EOC.

From that they told me:
Selassie I was never the head of this Nyahbinghi Order.
When the Fascist invaded Zion Land in 1935 they needed an excuse.... so they tried to destroy the reputaion of Ethiopia in Europ beeing a civilized and "european-standard" state.
So there was this fascist reporter... and it is he who is blamed for this whole story.
They made it seem as if Selassie I and his people were white-hateing uncivilized warriors .... and named him a COMMUNIST by telling the world that there is a connaction between the Nyahbinghi and the Communist Moscow... so they created the perfect "european-enemy".... and this news widespread on the whole globe and also reached Jamaica.

But still there is a true part of this story... first, the Nyahbinghi did really exist, although there was no connaction to Selassie I and it wasn´t a very good picture the fascist painted about them.
And second, Selassie I was really the Head of such an anti-colonial freedom fighter guerilla Army.... the Tiqur Anbessa, Black Lions...
When Selassie I left Ethiopia in ´36... from that on until ´41.... the Tiqur Anbessa Guerilla stopped the Italiens from turning Ethiopia into a colony.... and kept them WEAK!
Because of there work the Italiens were not able to get strong in Ethiopia and use it as colony.
And it is also said, that this Tiqur Anbessa were Ethiopian Nyahbinghies....
But still the article of this Fascist Reporter who tells all about this Binghi-Selassie-Moscow-Story is not true and was only a trick.

That is what Iman was taught...
Bro Gad I

Messenger: Za-Za Sent: 3/5/2004 2:24:17 PM

I thought that the OAU was the Nyah order? Yes they didn't call it that but with ties with the Rwanda ,Ughanda, and Kenya I thought was one of the reasons why that label or name was put on OAU. Cause actual leaders of the lands they Nyah worship existed were a part of the OAU.

One
ZA-ZA

Messenger: ijah Sent: 3/5/2004 3:26:36 PM

Zaza,me haffe this question for the I.

"Death to the enemies of the African RACE or "Death to the colonalist"
Utterance of His Majesty...But do you think that all white people are minded like the colonalist,or all not African people ARE enemys of African people????
Me say NO....That would be a very foolish way of thinking.
``And so many rasta still think Rastafari is NOTHING of race.``
Now that is one of Zaza s utterings....If His Majesty would have liked that the purpose of the order was more for the black than any other race,and in using ``Death to the whiteman``,than Him should have used these words.But HIM didnt.It says`` death to all colonalist``.And it is nah right fe count evry not african to be one of the colonalist...That is selfishism,egoism. And in presence,iman consider all people that nowadays still support what them already did the last 5 centurys,as colonalists...Them ``right`` thinking people,death to them all..these are the treu colonalists of this iwa
Leaders of Babylon{Babylon is one big happy family ,in one colonie},death to them too....inI want a New World Order,there where evryone is free to go as him wan.No hatre,no deceit,none of those....
Wan fe go home...

Selassie I Lives

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 3/5/2004 3:27:06 PM

Greetings,

Za-Za, Ras John asked about the meeting and I told him what I knew about the meeting.

You think I don't know the history of Queen Nyahbinghi??? At first, I was going to include some of the history of the Queen in that statement, but I decided to leave it out at that time and just address his question about the meeting. Also, there are many places on the Internet that speak about Queen Nyahbinghi, so it is not some big secret.

What are you really dealing with Za-Za? All you did was display your own immaturity by your statement.

And in regards to:
--------------------------
Actually I thought that Nyah in Rasta still worship the Goddess (Nyah)and Selassie as King of Kings upon the earth, and not as JAH or God, maybe my mistake...
--------------------------

Yes, this is your mistake, and I already showed you this a while ago. Nyahbinghi doesn't worship a goddess, they worship Haile Selassie I as Jah.

If your only intention Za-Za, is to attempt to slander I, then let I know, and I won't bother addressing any more of your statements. I am here to reason, not play games with you.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: Za-Za Sent: 3/5/2004 5:12:41 PM

Ijah Yes I do think that all whites are colonalist they have not show me any differ! At least your white leaders are that you the whiteman choose and pick. I don't blame the leaders but the people who put them in power! They weren't my leaders. Even though my leaders are whiteman leaders NOW. So I think that maybe the mind set of whiteman is changing but to what. The fanasty of the blackman! The reason why America didn't get in on the deal directly with Europe in Africa we had enough black pussy here and didn't need to go searching for more! But all them Europe country were at the time colonalist. Thats all they know beside Communisn. They don't respect Monhary cause the Queen of England is a firgure head a decorantion like what you hang on X-mas trees! Whiteman made up the ways and practices of colonalism not Africans. Everything the African made was always for the betterment of others and nature. Never just to enprison in some ways others, relgion, colonalisn, etc... I can go on for days tell you all the bad stuff that the whiteman has done to the world. But name one bad thing that Africans done to the world.....ONE. I know one.....ha ha.............
Revealing to the world the ways of the TRUE GOD! We should have kept that one to ourselves. We thought it would make others think and do better for the world and it f*ck it up so bad. That you you can ask me a question about my African people in ANY way! My knowledge of Africans pre-date Christianity to Rastafari by 28,000 yrs! We have knowledge of. If you know this type of knowledge or even just 5,000 yrs of the knowledge before Christ. Or knowledge before Adam. Basically TRUE knowledge of JAH himself you can ask me a question on Africans and Hue-man race. My thinking is only foolish to a ignorant mind. That the only way you can understand it. Do you realize that the BLACK/African are GODS! Can you understand that. I AM GOD! this is not a foolish statement but again your mind can't understand. Scientist agree with this but you cannot. So it not my job to lower my thinking for anyone. That why Selassie was brought here to help you. You believe the bible when it said the hebrew built the Prymids and DO you know thats phyically impossible! Do you know that the stones used for the prymids came from 10,000 miles away from Egypt and Rastafari claims his bloodline from that type of GREATness and I do too! Please know need to challege my knowledge on MY culture but I bet I can challege you on yours? That Overstanding. taking my elders words in my heart and realizing the meaning in the African mind and heart. Babies animals knows their mothers cry when they can't see

One
ZA-ZA

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I