Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=2376&start_row=1

Sarcophagus of His and Her Majesty

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 53
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 11/6/2007 7:39:49 AM

Greetings...

I would like to start by saying that I'm not trying to antagonize Ones, but rather build on a concept which I see rarely examined by Rastafari People.

His Majesty Girmawi Qedemawi Haile Selassie after having completed the construction of Kidist Selassie Beta Chrisitan (Trinity Cathedral) in Addis, had two sarcophagi constructed for Him Self and Her Majesty, as well. The original two were not to His Majesty's liking and He decided to have new ones constructed. A priest in Kidist Selassie had told me that the sarcophagus that His Majesty intended to have permanently used were of granite from Ethiopia sent to Greece to be cut and carved and then sent back to Addis. His Majesty as we know was never put into His own sarcophagus, and the scarcity of any tangible remains of His Earthly Self remain a mystery. I for one am not of the belief that people just up and vanish, but who knows? I do feel that His Majesty is immortal in the same way we all have the potential to be, however our bodies become immortal as from dust springs new life, but the Self of a man and His body are two things which must part. I feel that His Majesty was well aware of His Human character and did feel about His Self and His body in the most particular way, in that through our bodies we find a way into the New Jerusalem. Now, before I go way off the deep end, let me leave it here for now and should the I's choose to we can talk more about it.

SELAM

Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 11/7/2007 7:43:37 AM

In order to understand why His Majesty would build such a sarcophagus for Himself and His Empress would mean looking at the construction and also study of Ethiopian burial practice, since the beginning of civilization. The top of the tomb is clearly of the Aksumite style in the head of phallic stelae. Amongst other things it is a representation of the Sun/Son. The Rising and Setting Sun were worshiped in pre Christian Ethiopia, and again in Christian Ethiopia as the risen Son Christ. Through the Son one can know the father (not forgetting the mother of course), and it is through His Majesty of course that we see the Son of God, or God Himself risen on Earth. The top of the sarcophagus is a symbol of His own Self.

originally the Sun was seen born of a vrigin (the Moon)every day, it was His death (for lack of a better word) Resurrection, and vrigin birth, that was observed and worshiped days over by the original peoples and through this cycle His immortality was determined and His Kingdom was known to also comprise the Earthly and Celestial Universal plane.

The next phase of the sarcophagus construction is of the Lalibellian style, in the bottom half of the sarcophagus are four squares which form are the symbols of windows and doors (amongst other things)

and through windows One can see and through doors One may come and go. This is not to say that His Majesty thought He would be sitting in there peering out, or that some ghost would pop out through the door. However, through more examination of burial practices of the ancient and modern Ethiopian Kingdom One could draw a conclusion....more later, back to the grind...love Kings and Queens...
SELAM

Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 11/8/2007 7:40:54 AM

If we imagine Ethiopia in its ancient days we can know that her borders were vast. Should we read the first verse of Ester, we can see that Ethiopia rule reached as far as India. A map from 1870 shows Ethiopia encompassing what later became Nubia
It would be easy enough to go as far as to say that Ethiopia had once easily encompassed what is now all of Egypt as well, although we might not find a map that directly says so, Ethiopian rule no doubt went as far as the Nile, if it was to ever reach to India.

So while it may be seen as a commonality between modern Ethiopia and ancient Egypt to place a body in a sarcophagus in preparation for the next phase of life, I don't think it would be such a stretch to say that it is really a custom from ancient Ethiopia, which the Egyptians, who were really just migrated Ethiopians, inherited from their Ethiopian forefathers, and is still preserved today...more later...Love
SELAM

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 11/8/2007 1:51:06 PM

This might give you an idea why RasTafarI don't usually discuss things like this.

From an interview with Selassie I
---------------------------------------
Fallaci: On the whole, your Majesty, yours has not been a very a happy life. Those you loved have all died: your wife, two daughters. You have lost many of your illusions and many of your dreams. But you must, I imagine, have accumulated great wisdom, and of this I ask: How does Haile Selassie view death?

Selassie: What? View What?

Fallaci: Death your Majesty.

Selassie: Death, Death? Who is this woman? Where does she come from? What does she want? Enough, go away, ca suffit! Ca suffit!!
---------------------------------------

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: ROOK FARI SELAH Sent: 11/8/2007 7:50:09 PM

THE THING IS FUNNY TO ME REALLY
I SAID IT ONCE TWICE
HERE AGAIN
U COULD OPEN A COFFIN AND SHOW ME HIS ERTHLY REMAINS PERSONALLY
AND I STILL SAY HE IS WAS AND ALWAYS WILL BE CHRIST IN HIS KINGLY CHARACTER
CHRIST JESUS
DIED TOO IN FRONT OF PEOPLE
I DONT CARE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HE IS THE SON OF GOD
I DONT NEED
A VIRGIN IMMACULANT CONCEPTION I DONT NEED MAJIK VANNISHING ACTS OR ANY THING MY FAITH IS WITH HIM IN SPIRIT
IN HIS WORKS

I SEE HIM EVERY TIME I LOOK IN THE MIRROR
SAVE YOUR COFFIN STORY MAN
HOLY IMMANUEL I SELASSIE I JAAAH RAAASTAFARI

Messenger: Ras Bredren Nicholas Sent: 11/8/2007 9:21:42 PM

HIM Haile Selassie I cyant die.........

He Lives within InI all.

Bless. Selassie I di First!!!

Messenger: Ten Sent: 11/11/2007 6:51:19 PM

Greetings I n I
Sun of Man you begin by saying you don't want to antagonize RasTafari children by the post, but Aya some of the things said are cause for controversy. You wrote,
"I for one am not of the belief that people just up and vanish, but who knows? I do feel that His Majesty is immortal in the same way we all have the potential to be, however our bodies become immortal as from dust springs new life, but the Self of a man and His body are two things which must part."
Yesus Christ was buried in a tomb but rose on the third, His Majesty was detained by Mengistu and three times they searched for His body and in spite of a funeral in His honour,there's insufficient proof the remains found were HIS Majesty. The King Lives Aya, HE did not die a human death and neither does HIS immortality fit into the description you give above. I think our abilities are slightly different from HIS Majesty's we have potential but HIS Majesty actualised and materialised the fullness of HIS mystics as Man and as God. Us as people living in the way of HIM as Man are still on that path to full self-actualisation. I question to you then is if you don't believe in mystic abilities to "just up and vanish" what are you saying of His Majesty???
And regarding the Sarcophogus, its part of Royal Ethiopian tradition as you said, but I wouldn't take it as an affirmation of the mortality of HIM. This has been an ancient practice in both Ethiopia and Egypt. For I, I look to HIS utterances to give a true reflection on "death".
Give Thanks

Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 11/12/2007 1:36:02 PM

Give Thanks for the responses Kings and Queens...

ArkI, I would love to reason more, however, the quote the I provided is kind of out of context, no? Sounds like His Majesty was charged by some reporter, of course He threw them out, it seemed like an attack, please provide the context of that quote.

Hon Rook Fari Selah, I feel as though I and I are almost on the same page. Already the I is dropping myths to back miracles and moving on to fact, give thanks for that. And as the I manifests the fullness of the I's own individual potential there is no one else to see in the mirror except the image of the Creator. In I and I He lives, no doubt, Christ in His Kingly Character, is the truth. Now should we feel inclined to delve deeper into truth we can clearly see that His Majesty put a great deal of thought into His sarcophagus, He ordered the construction of One, received it, wasn't pleased with it, had that One disassembled, designed a new one, ordered it to be cut in Greece of all places, received it and placed it in the cathedral of His own namesake. Not only that, His sarcophagus and Her's were initially going to be on opposite sides of the Cathedral's inner sanctum, as would be customary, however His Majesty ordered His and Her's to be placed next to eachother. If His Majesty put as much thought into this process as we can clearly see, why should we not think about it. It's not my coffin story, it's History of Immortality.

What are the I's definition of death, and through what stages of a mortal life does One prepare for Immortality?

Ras I Bredrin Nicholas, I never said His Majesty could die, know that.

Empress Ten, I am also not of the belief that His Majesty's remains were ever found, and I don't beleive they're in the sarcophagus. However, there is enough tangible evidence for I and I to see that His Majesty intended for His Earthly remains to go into that sarcophagus. And please let I make it clear that it's not about antagonism, but if One chooses to believe in a myth such as a body just up a vanishes well, roll with it, I am not the final say, nor would I ever claim to be, but I do feel that there has been a system of making the myth into the miracle to keep I and I in some serious bondage. Ten does the I really think that One can vanish, is the miracle not a myth which is a code to the path of Immortality in a reality. Do we not have the ability? Did He not show I and I we have the ability? Was His Earthly example of Christ in Kingly Character not put there for I and I to witness and interanlize, embody as the path for all humankind to enter into Immortality? this is Self examination, and I have yet to see a contradiction, but show I if there is, my eye is not closed, I am wide open.

The tomb is nothing but a symbol of the eternal womb, the cycle of birth and rebirth is one which we witness everyday, it is written in the stars, Sun, Moon, and in His Majesty. Whether or not He returned to the womb He prepared for Himself in Kidist Selassie, or the womb He prepared for Himself in the Earth, I am One to say that He did go there, He knew He was going there, and there He is forever Immortal.

SELAM ENA FIKRE

Messenger: Ilee Sent: 11/12/2007 4:43:19 PM

Tribulation and Fiyah,

Are the molecules that constituted the structure of Tafari Makkonnen alive in the form we saw in pictures, or perhaps blessedly in person, No. Upon ascension to the throne as King of Kings, Ras TafarI Inited with and took command of ALL. Therefore "Haile Selassie" is the correct way to identify "reality" or "life itself". A truth further illuminated when personality and imagination are overstood as the building blocks of creation.

"Man was born into suffering" HIM Haile Selassie I.

Messenger: Ras Bredren Nicholas Sent: 11/12/2007 6:09:52 PM

Blessed Love I Idren.
One nah haffi defend Oneself. Iman Just Ises Inna space.

RasTafarI

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 53

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I