Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=2374&start_row=1

Smithsonian Exhibit

1 - 3
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: kglass1 Sent: 11/5/2007 10:27:12 AM

Greetings. I was at a Coronation Celebration over this past weekend and one of the Bredrens told I that the Smithsonian Museum in Washington D.C. was having an exhibition on Rastafari history and culture. Just wanted to share that in case anyone lives in the area. Also, if anyone has seen the exhibit maybe they could share the experience with the rest. I believe it will run until Nov.7. Jah Bless.

Messenger: emaye_to_2 Sent: 11/6/2007 5:19:11 PM

Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History Presents
"Discovering Rastafari!"
Oct. 30, 2007

"Discovering Rastafari!" charts the origins of the Rastafari culture in colonial Jamaica and its subsequent development into a multilingual movement throughout the African Diaspora and the world. The exhibition uses artifacts, rare photographs and ephemera to explore the emergence and development of the movement in Jamaica, taking viewers beyond the popular Jamaican music known as reggae to the deeper roots of the Rastafari culture. Using the museum's unique Rastafari archives and an extensive collection of Rastafari ritual objects, art, clothing, drums, recorded sound and video, banners and material culture, the exhibition will present Rastafari's origins and signifigance. "Discovering Rastafari!" is the first exhibition on Rastafari culture ever presented by a major museum.

The exhibition opens at the National Museum of Natural History Nov. 2 and will remain on view for one year through Nov. 7, 2008.

"We are excited to bring aspects of this fascinating yet often misunderstood cultural movement to the public," said Paul Risser, acting director of the National Museum of Natural History. "With the benefit of rare artifacts from Smithsonian collections and the expertise of our own curators, ‘Discovering Rastafari!' shows the breadth of Rastafarian culture, and emphasizes the museum's eminent role in cultural anthropology."

The Rastafari movement is cultural and religious and traces it origins to Jamaica in the 1930s. Rastafari also refers to members of the movement who are dedicated to the development of African consciousness, heritage, identity and repatriation to Africa. Resistance to colonialism and racism became the cornerstone of Rastafari culture, inspired originally by Ras Tafari Makonnen who was later crowned His Imperial Majesty Emperor Haile Selassie I of Ethiopia.

The exhibition uses video footage featuring first-person testimony from male and female Rastafari of different ages, nationalities and ethnicities, and socioeconomic classes to emphasize the unity and the spread of the movement. A presentation on the three major "mansions" (organizations) within Rastafari provides visitors with a sense of the movement's complex diversity, as well an understanding of the core of sacred practices that inform their daily lives. The exhibition focuses on the origins, practices and beliefs of the 77-year-old Rastafari movement in Jamaica and introduces His Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie I of Ethiopia, explaining his influence on the movement.

Exhibition curator Jake Homiak of the Department of Anthropology has been working with Rastafari for 30 years and has created forums for Rastafari elders and culture at the Smithsonian on previous occasions in order to enable the movement's strong ambassadorial tradition of traveling elders. Along with the influence of reggae music, this practice has been central to forging and strengthening bonds between far-flung communities and reaffirming their commitment to orthodox practices. This project began with a convening of an advisory team of leaders in the Rastafari community from around the world that has consulted on all details of the exhibition to ensure that it communicates the most important aspects of Rastafari to the public.

To celebrate the opening of "Discovering Rastafari!," the National Museum of Natural History has partnered with The Smithsonian Associates to present roots reggae legend Ras Michael and the Sons of Negus Nov. 2 at 7 p.m. in Baird Auditorium.

Messenger: ROOK FARI SELAH Sent: 11/13/2007 4:57:46 PM

A MY SPACE BULLETIN

Ethiopia Africa Black International Congress
Body: I have been asked to issue a notice to ones and ones inna the Rastafari family by a EABIC committe member elder, Priest Stewart.

"While it is a glory to see that HIM words and works are being represented to some degree for the world to witness during these historic moments in time, at the Smithsonian in DC, the exhibit slated and purporting itself as representative of the BoboShanti Order was in fact outright folly. King Emmanuel did not embrace or endorse the imagery in use. While InI understabd any Man his right to embrace and express his faith practise or life to his suiting, the EABIC stands for the Red Gold Green, Red Black Green, Red up, Black 5 point star and the R, as InI are the R man. The Man of Right in a world so full of wrong or x. No apologies. It is even more appalling to see that in the exhibit there was very little if any representation of InI Black Christ, Melchezidek, Black Moses, King Emmanuel Charles Edwards. This exhibit was put together by the one Jah Dougie in con-junction with the white boy brother jakes. Dougie even went so far as to use the exhibit to promote his brand of roots drink. Man is free, Woman is also free. I have no motive to remove any Man or Woman from their trod, only to clarify the matter. BoboShanti are Sabbath keepers. It is a shame that as a committee member and elder, secretary to King Emmanuel HIMself, that I have to pull ranks. InI would just like to show any Man Woman and child interested learning more about the Ethiopia Africa Black International Congress Church of True Divine Salvation, to make their way to a Sabbath service in Jerusalem school room. Any of Jah Angels can direct you in your area. And if no School room is available, remember wherever 2 or more Angels gather, Jah is present. Iron sharpens iron. I leave you with seven words of peace and love, "Jah is love, let us all love."
King Emmanuel the 7th"

Rt. Hon. Priest Trevor Stewart, Parliament member,Committee member, Treasury member and Ambassador to the United Nations Ny,Ny

Heart of love
Heart of Sabbath
Prophet Courtney

Messenger: ROOK FARI SELAH Sent: Today 4:39:28 PM

MY LORD
GIVE THANKS FOR BEING FIRM IN HOW THE I FEELS MY LAWD
HOW EVER ,
I DONT FEEL PREIST AND PROPHETS OF THE MOST HIGH GOD,
SHOULD USE DIREGOTORY WORDS AGAINST OTHERS ...LIKE "WHITE BOY""
ESPECIALLY WHEN HE WAS TRYING TO DO A WORKS
THAT IS FOLLY ISIDERING THERE IS WHITE FLESH WHO ARE PREIST AND PROPHET AND EMPRESS ON THE HILL IN JAMAICA "I HAVE THE VIDEO "MY LAWD
THE TABERNACLE IN PHILLY PREIST IMSLY
PREIST RUBEN PREIST LEGEND THEY DONT TALK LIKE THAT I WAS KIND OF SHOKED TO HEAR THE LAWD SAY THAT
I DO AGREE,INI SHOULD BUN DEM OUT FOR PROMOTING PRODUCTS USING THE EXIBIT THE WRONG WAY
I TOO ,WOULD LIKE TOO SEE MORE EMPHASIS ON THE LAWD AND KING IMMANUEL
BUT I GIVE THANKS THAT BABYLON PUT ANY EXIBIT IN THEIR MUSEUM ABOUT RASTAFARI AT ALL
FOR YEARS INI WERE KNOWMN AS JUST A CULT AND THATS IT NOTHING MORE THAN A BLOODY CULT
FROM WHAT I SEEN ....THE THING COULDVE BEEN BETTER ,BUT 12 TRIBES BINGHI AND INI EABIC WERE GIVIN ABOUT THE SAME AMOUNT OF SPACE
THE EXIBIT WAS MOSTLY ABOUT THE HISTORY OF THE MOVEMENTS
INI ARE BLESSED IN THIS TIME THAT CHILDREN IN PRIMARY SCHOOL WILL SEE RASTAFARI ON THE FEILD TRIPS FROM ALL OVER THE STATES
7 WORDS OF LOVE GOD IS LOVE LET US ALL LOVE
HOLY IMMANUEL I SELASSIE I JAAAH RASTAFARI

1 - 3

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I