Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=2165&start_row=71

run to BABYLON for safety

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 86
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: prophecy Sent: 9/11/2007 3:03:58 PM

Rastafari is no religion, but a way of life. Religion only separates, but if Rastafari is rooted in ur spirit then it is not just something u can walk away from. Eventually, u will have to face it and accept who u are, generally speaking.

Messenger: knowledgeseeker Sent: 9/11/2007 7:27:21 PM

what or who did we as nubians worship 1000s a years before jesus christ or selassie when we were in our own home land long before being scattered all over the earth ?

Messenger: ROOK FARI SELAH Sent: 9/11/2007 8:28:45 PM

YORUBA
WAS ONE OF THE FIRST RELIGIONS IN THE WORLD FROM AFRICA
ALL MOST ALL RELIGIONS WERE TAKIN PEICES OF IT
EVEN THEN THEY SPOKE OF GOD IN MAN GOD HIS OWN POWER
SPIRIT IN FLESH KING SHANGO WHOLE HEAP OF THEM

Messenger: Ten Sent: 9/11/2007 11:27:00 PM

Greetings

The anciency of African spirituality goes far back, perhaps 200 000 years before today and there are so many different elements to it we could reason about it for a lifetime. Specifically regarding Nubia, the Pharoahs were thought to be the incarnations of God so the system of the divine right of kings began in the 1st Dynasty with Mene. According to the Egyptian mythology, the ocean was the first thing to come into existence. Then Ra, the sun, came out of an egg (and some books say its a flower) that appeared on the surface of the water. Ra had four children, the gods Shu and Geb and the goddesses Tefnut and Nut. Shu and Tefnut became air.

They stood on Geb, who became the earth, and raised up Nut, who became the sky. Ra ruled over all. Geb and Nut later had two sons, Set and Osiris, and two daughters, Isis and Nephthys. Isis and Osirus were brother and sister but became husband and wife and had a son Horus. Together they embodied the trinity. Legend has it that Isis and Osiris took over Ra's role as ruler of all but Osirus became the god of judgement in the land of the dead because he had been killed by Set but Isis resurrected him through her powers. Horus later fought Set and became king of the Earth. Out of this came the nine divinities and each temple acknowledged the trinity as father, mother and son. Cultural influences resultant of interaction with other peoples created the animist aspect of Egyptian religion.

Regarding Ethiopia the Book of the Dead is a sacred Geez text here too that contains ancient prayers between Mary and Yesus. It contains prayers for death and sorrow as well as for a safe passage to heaven and was used in the burials of ancient Christians. On the parchment that one was buried with are the seven names of Jah as prayers for good passage - He is called Igzabhier, Iyawadah, Iyasus, Yhwh, Yahovah and Imannuel (I have to check the last two though cos its really really late here and I can't remember : ) )

Anyway other African peoples also had systems of divine worship hundreds of thousands of years before Christianity spread through European missionaries - some of these rituals continue to this day and if you want a general overview there's a book by JS Mbiti called African Religions and Philosophy. Its useful for a basic overstanding of African cosmology. And the Egyptian Book of the Dead was translated by Walter E Budge as well as the Bandlet of Righteousness: Eth Book of the Dead (ignore the things he says in his preface though - an ill-informed European historian just demonising the Queen of Sheba and Solomon and Isis and Osirus) Cheikh A Diop is a faya Senegalese historian all of I n I must read because he sets the record straight on ancient Africa and disputes European twists of world history - I'd recommend the African Origin of Civilization this book opened my eyes. I've read parts of the Monogenetic Theory of Race and its more faya too.
Blessed Love

Messenger: ROOK FARI SELAH Sent: 9/12/2007 3:45:14 AM

SELASSIE I KNOW
I WISH U COULD HERE I CLAP 4 U
LOL
I TRULLY ENJOYED THAT ONE DEH
RESPECT
WELL WELL PUT
MISS TEN

Messenger: Yaa Asantewa Sent: 9/13/2007 6:44:25 AM

Yoruba is a culture, not a religion. That is a slight myth that has been perpetuated by African America... with the best intentions though.

The 'Yoruba' are an empire (of modern day Nigeria), dominated generally by the Oyo people and the fundamentals of their livity. They break down their overstanding of their environment and of creation in general according to chracteristics of deities (or 'orishas').

As the I them are saying, many African cultures do the same. But yes, the essence of monotheism exists in all of them, as even the deities are submissive to a supreme, powerful, good & terrible Being. For the Yoruba, his name is Olorun.

My feelings on the "Yoruba Religion" that is present in America currently is that the anciency of the culture resonates with it's lost sons & daughters, so in order to re-emerse themselves in the order they take onto it as a religion, an organised set of rules...

Messenger: Prince Hotep Sent: 9/13/2007 9:48:14 AM

Blessed love.
Not to forget the existance of such nation as Israel, The Hebrews whose children are scatered all over the Africa and western hemisphere, with their Covenant with JAH and their curses and their(Rasta too) spirituality with One Supreme Being... One should know that Judaism is man made religion ,with the existance of a Talmud, man written laws.
Holy Immanuel I Selassie I JAH Ras Tafar I

Messenger: Ansarullah Sent: 9/13/2007 11:58:03 AM

Raahubaat 'Greetings' bredman knowledgeseeker

The Koran (34:2) implies that their God, Allah, Yahweh lives in the heavens beyond the stars. The Torah of the Jews gives the same meaning, so does the New Testament (Matthew 6:9) for the Christians, the Buddhists, the Hindus, the Native Americans, even the Yoruba and people of Voodoo beliefs hold that the forces came from beyond the stars. They are called Ginwins, Shushukiy and Umarway by the Yoruba (Read The Conflicts Between The Gods Scroll #130). They are known by the Native Americans as Thunder Birds. The Hopi Indians call them Kachina. The Dogon tribe of Africa call them Nummos. The Koran calls them Maalaikat. The Bible calls them Angelos/Aggelos. The Torah calls them Nephileems. The Sumerians call them Anunnaqi.
All in all people the world over acknowledge superior beings or a being who has come to this Earth many, many thousands of years ago, with the ability to travel from either dimension to dimensions or place to places, something that Preachers, the Rabbis, or the Imaams themselves can not do, which is an admittance of these beings superiority.

We as African nubians used to give thanks to many gods beyond the skys above, many many years before the biblos 'bible' qu'raan and other religions.

Judasim, Christism and Islamism all speak about star people seen, they are call Eloheems, angelos and malaikats.

Our Ancient fore-fathers before religion as wi know it today called on ancient gods in there own tongue they spoke at that time in which they lived in seen.

Messenger: Ansarullah Sent: 9/13/2007 11:58:03 AM

I hope that give you pieces to the puzzle knowledgeseeker

Hotep Wa A'ashug

Messenger: ROOK FARI SELAH Sent: 9/13/2007 1:11:09 PM

YES I GOOD POINT EVEN IN YORUBA{ WICH I LOVE TO STUDY EVERY THING }
IT IS BETTER TO KNOW THAN BELEIVE
ALL DEITYS
STILL BOW TO ONE SUPREME BEING
WHEN THE MAIN GOD "SUPREME BEING" SENT A NEXT BEING, TO CREATE HUMANS DIDDNT HE GET DRUNK AND MESSUP THE PEOPLE AND GOD SENT A NEXT ONE TO FIX IT ????? LOVE DAT STORY IM GONNA LOOK IT UP AGAIN TODAY
I HAVE BOOKS BUT MY TERMONOLOGY ISNT GOOD YET IM STILL LEARNIN IM NO EXPERT
ON ANTY MATTER
IM LEARNING THOUGH
ANY WAY HIS MAJESTY GAVE FREEDOM IN ETHIOPIA AS FAR AS RELIGION SEEIN RELIGION
AS OPPRESSIVE IF IT IS FORCED ON ANY ONE IT ULTIMATELY SEGREGATES AND DISCRIMINATES
SO U KNOW???
IM FEELIN BLESSED TO SERVE THE KING OF KINGS IT WASNT FORCED ON I BUT THE SPIRIT MOVED I TRU THINGS HAPPEN AND MY MOTHER COULDNT DO FOR I AT THE TIME
MY FAMILY WHO HAPPENS TO BE RASTAFARI HELPED RAISE I UNDER THE BANNER
AND I NEVER SEPERATED FROM OUR FAITH IT WAS NO COINCEDENCE THAT TRAGEDY TOOK HOLD OF I AND BRING ME AT 14
TO SEE THE KING
I WAS A MUSLIM AT 12 GOIN TO MOSQUE BY MY SELF ,ON CLEVELAND AVE
I WAS ALWAYS SEARCHIN FOR TRUTH I LOVED GOD BUT LIKE I SAID
TRAGEDY STRUCK
JUST TO SET I FREE
I KNOW IM VERY VERY MUCH ONE OF A KIND
AND HARD TO UNDERSTAND SOME TIMES BUT SO IS GOD
IM MADE IN HIS IMAGE
ALSO I WANT TO POINT OUT ,IN BENIN BLACK AFRICA
U HAVE MANY SPIRITS, TO GRANT YOUR REQUEST
BUT THEY TOO HAVE TOO ANSWER TOO A HIGHER POWER
I COULD ASK ANY ONE FOR HELP BUT THEIR HELP COMES FROM THEIR POWER SOURCE