Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=2081&start_row=11

the sad state of man

1 - 1011 - 14
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Osiris Sent: 8/17/2007 1:40:41 PM

Yes Empress,
Those insights ring with truth and strikes a blow to the arrogant mentality that much of white society embraces. As brother Tosh says: "I don't want no peace, I want equal rights and justice".
As a white man trying to dismantle these foundations of cultural injustice I see the word tolarance with the definition reversed.
I hope that as I interact with Rasta that my presence can be "tolerated" so Idren will sight my genuine sincerity to learn the truth and my willingness to spread it to situations that will do the most good.
I come to this reasoning board to share my opinions and perspectives on various subjects, but mostly I come to read and learn.

Blessings

Messenger: Empress Nzingha Sent: 8/17/2007 2:15:43 PM

The word 'civilization' has two origins: (1) "civis" (Latin word for citizen or townsman), and (2), civilis (the adjective form of "civis"). In this sense, being "civilised" means being a citizen, who is governed by the law of his/her city, town or community. Civilisation may also refer to the culture of a particular community.

Literally, a civilization is a complex society, as distinguished from a simpler society. According to Richard Leakey's Origins: "The hunter-gatherer is part of the natural order: a farmer necessarily distorts that order. But more important, sedentary farming communities have the opportunity to accumulate possessions, and having done so they must protect them. This is the key to human conflict, and it is greatly exaggerated in the highly materialistic world we now live in."

Everyone lives in a society and a culture, but not everyone lives in a civilization.

Epidemics among both humans and animals are also characteristics of civilization.

By this definition, some societies, like Greece, are clearly civilizations, whereas others like the Bushmen or the early nomadic Native Americans clearly are not.

As discussed above, "civilization" has a number of meanings, and its use can lead to confusion and misunderstanding.

However, "civilization" can be a highly connotative word. It might bring to mind qualities such as superiority, humaneness, and refinement. Indeed, many members of civilized societies have seen themselves as superior to the "barbarians" outside their civilization.

The earliest known civilizations (as defined in the traditional sense) developed from proto-civilized cultures in Mesopotamia between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers in modern-day Iraq, the Nile valley of Egypt, while smaller civilizations arose in Elam in modern-day Iran, (Especially those parts considered to be the "Fertile Crescent"), the Mehrgarh and Indus Valley region of modern-day Pakistan, and the parallel development of Chinese civilizations in the Huang He River (Yellow River) and Yangtze River valleys of China, and on the island of Crete and in Mycenaean Greece in the Aegean Sea, Persia in modern-day Iran, as well as the Olmec civilization and the Caral civilization in modern day Mexico and Peru. The inhabitants of these areas built cities, created writing systems, learned to make pottery and use metals, domesticated animals, and created complex social structures with class systems. Proto-civilized cultures developed as a late stage of the Neolithic Revolution, and pioneered many of the features later associated with civilizations.

Wikipedia:Civilization

Messenger: still looking Sent: 8/17/2007 2:59:48 PM

much respect yaa,

and hitler took the idea from what america was already doing -- this is a hugh eye opener in class when the students hear this.

i understand your justified concern with the white black issue, when i first started the unit it was basically a racism unit and it was aimed at trying to get the white kids to hear the most. but as time went on it has really become a unit on how do you (the student individually) deal with differences. because what i've noticed is that there were students that had no problem with other races, but they would discriminate against another religion. then there was some kid that had no problem with different religions or race, but sexual orientation was their issue. some have no problem with any of those things but they won't think twice about teasing some kid who dresses different ---- and on and on it went. I try to touch on as many ways as possible that humans tend to discriminate against each other and get them to question why?

the puerto ricans don't get along with the dominicans, the irish don't get along with italians, the christians don't get along with the jews --none of these are color issues--- i know it would be easy if it was as simple as black and white and i respectfully know that that is close to your heart ---- i look at the why do differences create such tension?

a couple of times i was called down to the office to help mediate between girls from africa and black girls from america ----all black, but some differerence that they can't or won't accept.

yes racism and the ignorance of whites is an extremely important issue, but to that kid in school who gets ridiculed for the way they dress or talk their issue is just as big (i guess it is the "he who feels it knows it").

have you heard of the women jane elliot? she is the lady who did the brown eye blue eye experiment to teach her students what it felt like to be discriminated against. well i spoke with her on the phone 2 years ago -- we spoke for over an hour and she told me she only deals with three types of isms ....racism, sexism, and ageism. her reason makes perfect sense to me and i understand completely --- she says that those three groups of people can not really hide from what it is that gets them discriminated against.

a gay person could not tell anyone ---- a religious person could stay quite or convert possibly ---and me with all of my tatoos can keep them covered ----- so i agree with her, except that i don't think a gay person should have to stay in the closet to be accepted --- a person shouldn't have to convert ----- and i should not have to hide my tatoos.

when i do my unit i challenge the kids to question their area of difficulty ---- when we are on racism -- i want the white kids to think -----when we are doing women's rights -- i want the males to think ---- on homosexuals rights -- i want the heterosexuals to think ---and so on

yes racism is hugh -- but as i said in the other post -- the oppressive whites tended also to be male, heterosexual,religious, and wealthy ---it may be to easy to say it is their whiteness when in reality it maybe one of the other qualities. for i when i see how many people have died in the name of some god -- i tend to lean towards that being more of the problem than the color of their skin. the sudan is not happening because of skin color--it is religion.

i do not want to diminsh the importance of what i know cause you much stress and i hope that i have not done that.

well i've rambled enough ----

peace

Messenger: still looking Sent: 8/17/2007 5:20:18 PM

respect yaa,

sorry that i did not address your question of.....

"Have you ever conducted a class where the class is encouraged to be free, free their minds, free their expectations... exist for a second in non-partiality... then they themselves nominate the division of the classroom into power groups that represent those dominant in society? Then deconstruct the foundations of the respective power groups in order to understand one group in relation to another. Then challenge the foundation! Challenge the validity of each group's stake of power!"

let me tell you what i do and you can determine if i am getting to that issue -- i think i am, but here it goes.

first off --- i encourage a free exchange of ideas in class no matter which topic we are on --- i want the kids to learn how to think and express their views. they are free to agree or disagree with anything said by anyone ---myself included.

now - on the first day of the discrimination unit there are three key things that i wish for them to start to consider ....

first --- i start off talking of lauryn hill's miseducation album, and the half truths and out and out lies that take place in our schools when it comes to dealing with the history of blacks.

i then tell them however that i would call the album "the miseducation of jessie and me" jessie was my best friend in grades 5 -7...he was black. i tell them that jessie was not the only one who was miseducated or lied to-----so was i. we then discuss how this misrepresentation of education could possibly lead some to feeling superior or inferior.

second..we now get into placing a face on the power structure in america. and what typically comes up is ......white,christian, heterosexual, wealthy males. sometimes educated and political will come up. i now speak about that the more of these characteristics you have --the less obstacles you will have to deal with in life.

and finally...then i place a question on the board that stays up for the duration of the unit..and it says ..

"if those being discriminated against are not in a position of power to create change then how will change occur for them?"

through the entire unit..whether it is racism or women's rights, or religious intolerance or whatever they, challenge each other and themselves on how they view the system of which they are a part of.

it is a very uncomfortable unit for many kids (and even the teacher sometimes), but to alomst every student,it is a discomfort that they are glad they went through.

if you have an activity or an idea for an activity i would love to hear it.

peace

1 - 1011 - 14

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I