Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=1984&start_row=1

Tattoos in Ethiopia

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 6/25/2007 7:58:21 PM

Greetings All...

I was reading the I's reasonings on tattoos in the shotta's thread and felt obligated to point out the fact that tattoos have long been a custom amongst Ethiopian Orthodox women, ranging from patterns of shapes to crosses along jawbones, cheeks, foreheads, collar bones, and hands.

I wanted to point out that Her Majesty Woizero Menen has at least two tattoos on her hand and this means that His Majesty was accepting of this practice as well, just thought it worthy of mention....anyways let's see if I can get this picture thing working...

Selam

Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 6/25/2007 8:03:04 PM

Well that didn't work, I'll keep trying, also wanted to mention that this is in no way an attempt to advocate tattoos, for I it is a definite no, but we are all individuals and so it goes, for some it is very much a part of their culture and for others its pure vanity....
Selam

Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 6/25/2007 8:05:14 PM

RAS TAFARI!!!!

Beautiful Empress Woizero Menen, words are not enough!!!!BETAM KONJO!!!

SELAM

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 6/25/2007 8:33:38 PM

Give thanks Idren

Messenger: Ten Sent: 6/26/2007 3:34:06 AM

Give thanks for the images Aya, a most holy sight to behold. Its a wonderful thing to see the Lion and Lionness, as beautiful and regal as always. And true I body art is a part of African culture. I'm unsure of fashion ones so I guess more reasoning shall bring light to the subject.

Messenger: Bro Dominiq Yehyah Anbesa Sent: 6/26/2007 5:49:14 AM

Give Thanks Iyah

So often I have seen tha Picture, but never realised these christian tattoos. Yes it is very widespread and common among Ethiopian Christians. Also you have in Ethiopia all kinds of earrings and piercings. (I don't speak of the Surma or Mursi who do that for slave reasons)

So in general: Who I am to judge that? I can only speak and act for Iself, and I would not like to have things through my skin, as a Nazarene. But my Queen she has earrings. It's her choice.
Like in the Itation Books I saw two Sisters both with a nose piercing. First I thought, is that really necessary?
But then I thought, why not. When we see such things in African tribes we like these ancients cultures. But now when you do it in the west, just because it's done medically more safe by doctors and so on, now we condemn it?
Or when it comes to tattoos same thing. As long the colour is not chemically artificial but a natural colour, where's the difference? Just because in the west it is done more professionally?
It is a personal decision, but still we should not be hypocritical. And to say that African tribes did never such things for pure vanity is just not true. All tribes, all cultures, all peoples from all times always liked to look good, you have many african customs which have no purpose but looking beautiful for them.... which you could call vanity.

Selah

Messenger: JahWoek Sent: 6/26/2007 1:01:14 PM

Blessings..

Give Thanks for the picture..it was especially comforting to I considering that I am a tattoo artist by trade, but a Rasta by heart.
See I was poppin in to read up on the reasonings and saw the mention of tattoos in the shottas tread and was sad to see the fyah being flung on tattoos...cause I too when first sighting up H.I.M. years back, questioned my practices cause of what I read in Lev., and tattooin being a permanant thing, had me going through a phase of confusion and self-hatred, but as I read more and expanded on other literture other than the kjv of the bible I began to realize the tattooin was an ancient practice that dated back before columbus and his bible toting pilgrims with there corrupted scriptures tryin to erase the culture out of the indeginous...like said before. tattoos and piercings where adornments worn by members of tribes symbolizing different things like rites of passages or status amongst the tribe or commeration of certain events..
Also The Honorable Marcus Garvey taught if man has no work that man should make work...and to be more independent and self-help...so I look at my trade a one that allows I to do that. I am my own boss.. control my assets and make a good livin helpin people in different stages of their lives. also in the western world, where I livin at the present moment, you cant be down with babylon(get a "good" job) if you have exposed tattoos, so I neva wanted to be down with the babywrong shitstem even before livin an Ital lifestyle..so when I create my artwork I also help create a front of people who also are tellin babylon that they will not be controlled...in New Zealand, Indeginous tribes fighting modern colonialism took on rasta beliefs while inprisoned and grew locks and tattood there faces like ther ancient Maori ancestors in protest to british rule and to this day lives a Rastafarian community in new zealand that tattoos demselfs so as InI grow and develop InI realize that alot of the things InI judge upon are comin from shady resources...Id like to know what the ancient Ithopian scriptures translate to on certain matters...anyways only Iman views, observations and expierences.. so peace and love everytime
~JahWoek

Messenger: Young Lion Sent: 6/26/2007 2:50:38 PM

Tatoos by ethiopians are relating to the faith, and is not hidden but visible for everyone to see. Usually on there head, and arms. My grandma has a tatoo of sun on top of her hand, and another tatoo on her arm relating something about life. The tatoo of the cross of iyesus kristos on forehead is a big one that they use. it shows their commitment to the following Christ. Here is a picture of my grandfathers sister of the cross on her forhead.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Bless

Messenger: Ten Sent: 6/26/2007 3:16:40 PM

mystic image I, thanks for sharing. Praises.

Messenger: Yaa Asantewa Sent: 6/28/2007 11:34:20 AM

Wow... is it just me (it probably is) or have you guys just managed to put into comparison the bodymarkings of the Incient iawta (on the photo), and those of the Empress, with folks who get a cartoon baby dolphin tattooed above a belly button!

I don't see anybody going through a spiritual initiation, or experiencing some meditational inspiration before getting their Babymommas name across the top of their right arm on a loveheart banner! What type of iritical livication to the Irits does one have to make before getting their dead cousin's name tattooed in chinese lettering on their left shoulder?

Oh, it's ok to get a tattoo down at Al's tattoo parlour in Chinatown, cos the rebel Maori wore them to invoke the strength of their ancestors in combat! Oh purleez. It's almost disrespectful.

I wonder what the Maori warriors, the Iawta in the image, and Empress Menen herself would think of the types of tattoos being scraped permanently into the skins of people (predominantly in cities) in this iwah, and this context. I wonder if they would appreciate you guys acting like they're all the same thing?

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I