Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=1882&start_row=11

What u should eat and what u shall not eat.

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 28
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ten Sent: 5/25/2007 6:23:40 PM

Correction Osiris, the I classified Ethiopia as one of those places where people eat meat because of the climate - on the contrary Ethiopia is arid and hot, its difficult to keep large herd of livestock, their diet mostly consists of cabbage and ground grains that are made into breads and stiff porridge. They drink alot of goat milk because goats are adaptable to that climate. On a religious level 252 days of the Ehtiopian year are days of fast, some fasts call for abstainence from meat like lent. Some sects of the Ethiopian Churches are vegetarian and in the daily diet of Ethiopians there are alot of vegan/vegetarian (lacto and ovo) dishes. I do agree that some places it is the livelihood of the people to eat meat, like the KhoiSan bushman (or rather Khoi indegenous peoples) of Southern Africa. Or for eskimos. But within those communities there is a livity, its not mass consumption....Within the daily lives of urban and rural people of Africa (I speak of Africa only but not to the excl of other places) eating patterns have changed as a result of colonial contact and its resultant impact of modernity and postcoloniality...And the religious aspect, well the index of I Ible says that meat is a general term used to refer to food so I'm not sure when it says meat it refers to flesh or it refers to food in general. But one thing that's clear is that its about the soul of I n I no matter how much spinach, lentils and cauliflower I's eat, if your spirit is not good and you don't put JAH first - aint no use in chanting ital livity as sacred. Its about JAH works above all, for I n I its that road to a higher connection with the Most High but still I n I must do good and manifest JAH will...One final thing - don't always assume the writer of a reasoning is male, and I don't think Idren is being used in the generic sense here (I stand corrected if I am wrong) BUT there are some sisters in this here forum too! Bless.

Messenger: Osiris Sent: 5/25/2007 6:56:04 PM

Give Thanks Sistren!

Taken from www.everyculture.com
The food taboos found in the Old Testament are observed by most people as the Ethiopian Orthodox Church prescribes them. The flesh of animals with uncloven hoofs and those that do not chew their cud are avoided as unclean. It is nearly impossible to get pork. Animals used for food must be slaughtered with the head turned toward the east while the throat is cut "In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost" if the slaughterer is Christian or "In the name of Allah the Merciful" if the slaughterer is Muslim.

Meat, specifically beef, chicken, and lamb, is eaten with injera on special occasions. Beef is sometimes eaten raw or slightly cooked in a dish called kitfo. Traditionally, this was a staple of the diet, but in the modern era, many of the elite have shunned it in favor of cooked beef.

Messenger: Selahssie i son Sent: 5/25/2007 8:21:06 PM

Well osiris, rasta no deal wid ghost,we dealing with the holy one,u
Said holy ghost like u is a roman who looking for a ghost,we the rastas know the holy one.we dont call ghost holy.u said my king ate the fowls and four footed animals in common sense can u prove that where and when did haile Selahssie ate manners of meat?please dont try mix up rasta life with the gentiles life.
You eat what u want to eat Iah,but
Know this most meat eaters will see the long term effect cause by the manners of meat they eat

Messenger: Ten Sent: 5/25/2007 8:23:49 PM

PRAISES, JAH BLESSING BE UPON THE I

everyculture.com also goes onto say
During Christian fasting periods, no animal products can be eaten and no food or drink can be consumed from midnight until 3 P.M. This is the standard way of fasting during the week, and on Saturday and Sunday no animal products may be consumed, although there is no time restriction on the fast.

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 5/26/2007 12:45:11 AM

In the beginning, herb was meat for man. After the flood, the vegetation was killed and the only way the people would survive was to eat of the offspring of the animals that they saved from the flood.

This was just to be for a time, until the vegetation came forward again, which probably didn't take that long to come.

But people continued to eat flesh, even though it was unnecessary. So because they continued to eat flesh, they were then instructed of what kind of flesh they should avoid. And if you research the animals that are considered unclean, you will see why they are considered unclean. Those animals collect alot of filthiness and are more likely to have viruses and bacteria.

The technology of today makes some of the unclean flesh less dangerous to eat, but doesn't make it necessarily safe to eat.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: Ten Sent: 5/26/2007 5:27:26 AM

Greetings. I am not sure I agree fully with what Ark I is saying, firstly before the time of the flood, people ate meat, they had flocks of livestock that they herded as you read in the times of Cain and Abel. Abel was a sheep herder and Cain a planter (Gen 4 v. 2) Abel offered the young of his flock to God and the Lord blessed this. Even their descendents described in Gen 4 v. 20 says they herded cattle. Herding animals has been a part of human culture since after Adam and Eve's exit from the Garden of Eden, maybe after the Fall is when eating meat became a part of the lifestyle - I don't know for sure. Secondly assuming that Ark I is referring to pigs as unclean by virtue of what they eat, and perhaps chickens too because they eat all sorts as well, I think there's a longstanding misconception of these animals. Chickens have a small digestive tract that enables them to digest food very quickly, it passes out of the system in a short time. They like pigs are omnivores, so are some humans. Pigs have a highly sophisticated digestive system that can quickly convert what they eat into flesh, they cannot digest grass because they are not ruminants. They are however difficult to herd as animals so for the nomads of Israel in Biblical times, pigs were not a favoured animal in the herd. These animals are very intelligent and their ability to convert grains into food in a short space of time is something that scientists marvel over. In spite of what they eat they still have a remarkable cleansing system and I think the risk of bacteria and viruses the I speaks about is just as great in any animal regardless of what it eats. Its how that animal is reared, slaughtered and preserved in order to prevent disease. If animals were simply unclean based on what they ate, the human race would have died a long time ago. And modern technology providing better methods of cleaning animal flesh??? I think with all the genetically modified chemicals pumped to make pigs and chickens bigger faster, people are being killed in the most silent and lethal ways...But back to the value of pigs, they are one of the animals with the closest resemblance to the human anatomy and physiology. For modern science this has meant pigs can be used in human transplants, provided genetic manipulation is possible. If a pig can save a life I personally doubt it can still hold title as an unclean animal.

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 5/26/2007 1:14:31 PM

Here is some information about Pork

---------------------------------------------
Authorities in Malaysia are testing more blood samples from pig farm workers after four people were infected by the deadly Nipah virus.

* Nipah virus can lead to deadly encephalitis in humans.
* Fifteen pig farms on Borneo Island had been put under quarantine pending the results of the blood tests taken from pigs.
* An outbreak last year caused over 100 deaths and the slaughter of more than 1 million pigs.

The re-emergence rattled many Malaysians, especially the Chinese community, which consumes pork, unlike the Moslem community, which does not.
Some diabetics and others with weakened immune systems may do well to steer clear of chitterlings, a dish consisting of boiled pig intestines that is served up as traditional holiday fare in the Southern US. A 12-year-old boy with poorly controlled diabetes became seriously ill after eating the food in three separate Christmas dinners.

The child was hospitalized with enteritis necroticans, a potentially life-threatening intestinal infection that is rare in America and causes severe stomach pain, vomiting of blood and low blood pressure. The boy eventually had to have surgery to restore his intestinal function. The culprit turned out to be a chitterlings-contaminating bacterium known as Clostridium perfringens type C, which produces a toxin that is lethal to tissue in the digestive tract. Even cooking the chitterlings, however, may not rid them of bacteria.

More common in developing countries, enteritis necroticans can occur in children who eat large amounts of pork or in those who consume large meals after a period of starvation. Other factors that can contribute to the illness are protein malnutrition, and the consumption of sweet potatoes, which can interfere with the breakdown of the bacterial toxin in the intestines.
Hepatitis E virus (HEV) is the primary cause of epidemic and sporadic enterically transmitted non-A, non-B hepatitis worldwide, according to the Mayo Clinic Until this report, the US had been spared infection with HEV. In the case-report of a 62 year-old Minnesota man, both the pathologic findings in the liver biopsy specimen and the clinical course were characteristic of acute hepatitis E, as confirmed by nucleotide sequencing. The source of the infection could not be identified, although the man had eaten food at a California restaurant where the workers were not screened for HEV.

HEV infection should be considered in any person coming from an HEV endemic area with hepatitis and negative serologic markers for hepatitis A, B, and C .Pork may be the reservoir responsible for sporadic, locally acquired cases of acute hepatitis reported in regions with relatively mild climates. The comment is based on two recent isolations of HEV from American swine that suggest that, .in the United States, hepatitis E is a zoonosis with the swine population as one of its hosts.
Of all the species that might provide organs for humans in need of transplants, pigs have long been considered the most promising candidates.But a wider array of pig tissues appear to be infected with strains of a virus that could spread to people than previously thought. The virus,
porcine endogenous retrovirus (PERV), may actually spread to people receiving pig organ transplants. Until recently, scientists believed pigs were more or less free of pathogens that could spread to people. But last year, researchers in the UK discovered that PERV genes are scattered throughout pigs' genetic material. Researchers also found that pig heart, spleen and kidney cells release various strains of the virus. And test tube studies in the laboratory show that these strains can infect human cells.
New studies on food safety have found pork may contain even more dangerous germs than poultry.

The findings were presented at the 2001 Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy in Chicago.

A team of researchers at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention tested nearly 600 packages of ground pork purchased from different grocery stores in five states.

They found high levels of Enterococci bacteria, a common cause of food poisoning that is resistant to antibiotic drugs.

Scientists say patients who have antibiotic-resistant enterococcal infections have a death rate of 37 per cent.

Enterococci were found on three per cent of ground pork.

"With pork chops or steaks, you've got bacteria contamination on the outside," says lead researcher Jennifer McClennan.

And with ground meats, the bacteria are found throughout, making them more dangerous.

"You've got to make sure to cook (pork) thoroughly."

As a result, McClennan says cooks should follow stringent practices when they prepare pork and anything cooked less than medium is probably not a good idea.

Another study presented at the symposium raised further concerns about pork.

Dutch researchers found the Enterococci bacteria in pigs cause more trouble for humans than the same type of bacteria found in poultry.

The researchers recommended farmers use antibiotics sparingly on their animals.

About half of the antibiotics given to animals worldwide are used so they can grow bigger and remain disease-free.

The continuous exposure to antibiotics can also alter the balance of good to bad germs, promoting the antibiotic-resistant strain of bacteria in the animal.

Resistant strains can be passed on to humans when they consume the meat of the animal. Researchers found these bacteria in pork seemed to survive and thrive longer in humans than those found in poultry.
The meat and fat of a pig absorbs toxins like a sponge. Their meat can be 30 times more toxic than beef or venison.
When a pig is butchered, worms and insects take to its flesh sooner and faster than to other animal's flesh. In a few days the swine flesh is full of worms.
Swine and pigs have over a dozen parasites within them, such as tapeworms, flukes, worms, and trichinae.
The trichinae worm of the swine is microscopically small, and once ingested can lodge itself in our intestines, muscles, spinal cord or the brain. This results in the disease trichinosis. The symptoms are sometimes lacking, but when present they are mistaken for other diseases, such as typhoid, arthritis, rheumatism, gastritis, MS, meningitis, gall bladder trouble, or acute alcoholism.

Those are just a few of the points about pork. And if you research any of the other animals that are considered unclean you will see why.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: Ten Sent: 5/26/2007 2:22:34 PM

Give thanks for the info I, knowledge is power.

Messenger: Empress Nzingha Sent: 5/26/2007 2:47:09 PM

Just because you herd an animal doesn't mean you eat it's flesh. In fact more often than not, people who herd animals only eat animals that die of natural causes, except on occasions of celebration. Most cultures herd cows and goats for the milk. Sheep are used for wool, chickens are used for eggs. People who keep animals use all parts of an animal; milk, skin/fur/wool, eggs, manure, teeth/horns/bones, in some cases even blood (which is milked from a live animal rather than drained from a dead one). Many animals that are unclean are unclean not because they don't process their food well but because their flesh is not sutable for human consumption. Take for instance the Monarch Butterfly, by eating a poisionus plant it becomes itself poisonus. Flora and fauna develop amazing adaptaions in order to survive the food chain. It is not wise to extend ones food supply when food is not scarce. Not only can it have a harmful effect on ones digestive system, but it can also upset the delecate balance of the planet we live on. If humans were to start eating grass, or if humans were to eat chimpanzees instead of chickens, what would that do to the world we live in. How would grazing animals compete with humanity for their food source. Humans tend to operate in a way that assumes God made this planet for our exclusive use and because of that we have the right to abuse the natural order of things as we see fit. No thing is outside of our reach, if God has placed something on the top shelf, we simply build a ladder. Could you image if children acted this way toward their parents? It's called disrespect or, if you prefer, being spoiled. It is the refusal to accept no as an answer. It causes one to take an antacid instead of changing one's diet. It causes one to sue a fast food company for making one morbidly obese. God didn't invent hamburgers, humans did. If a lion becomes a "man-eater" that lion is killed by humans; if a man becomes a lion eater, should it not reason that lions should kill that man? Society operates on a basic understanding that the fittest and strongest survive, with the stipulation that humans are the fittest and strongest. Anything that threatens humanity's survival is removed. Beside the fact that the human digestive system is not carnivorous (we are omnivores at most) the fact of the matter is if something makes you function less well, then you shouldn't be eating it. When was the last time you saw a cow determined to eat a cactus? If you believe in overpopulation (as in too many humans for the Earth to sustain) then you must also believe that some things just shouldn't be eatten. If everyone ate as much meat as Americans there wouldn't be enough room on the planet to feed us all. (By the way cows make methane, which is the number one "greenhouse gas") Cows have mutiple stomachs to digest grass, humans have one stomach that is expected to digest a cow. Personally I believe in my bodies ability to maintain itself, I don't force it to digest the undigestable simply because it tastes good.

Messenger: Ten Sent: 5/26/2007 4:52:26 PM

"If humans were to start eating grass, or if humans were to eat chimpanzees instead of chickens, what would that do to the world we live in? How would grazing animals compete with humanity for their food source?"
If humans became grazers then all those tracts of land belonging to billion dollar estates would be land for ploughing, millions could be fed on that food. The strain that large herds of animals cause on the earth would become a thing of the past. Animals would not have to compete with humans because there'd be more than enough for all to eat, new species of animals might even develop out of the sharp increase in green plants. But then the danger is that the herded animals would now be wiped out to make more room for planting fields - such is the exploitative and greedy nature of humankind. And even sadder is that although the world produces more than enough to eat, it is thrown away, but there are still millions who go hungry because food is essentially about economic politics.

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 28

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I