Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=1842&start_row=1

Dreadlocks

1 - 1011 - 17
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: FarI-Sight Sent: 4/24/2007 10:21:43 PM

Blessed

I am wondering how people with straight hair can lock their hair naturally without putting any chemical products in it or even braiding it. For some people have straight hair, dont comb it but wash with water,even without shampoo, and still their hair dont grow into locks.
African Wool doesnt need anything for it to locks, it may take long to grow lengthwise but Africans just simply dont comb and the wooly hair locks naturally.

Anyone who has straight hair and now has locks can answer this question for I?
I would like the Hon Ark I to comment on this as I have seen a picture of the I with some very thick rootsy dreadlocks.
Give thanks

Messenger: I'n'I mloyi Sent: 4/25/2007 5:03:25 AM

What do you mean? say it straight!
That is creation of the creator, is it creators?, and we cannot question it, although we are lured to question it by the history (Reality of what had happened) of the world.
We got to live in peace and harmony.

Messenger: JahWoek Sent: 4/25/2007 8:19:50 AM

Greetings in H.I.M. Name.

Not to say that RastaFarI is a hair doctrine..but I ovastand ya urge to take the Nazarene vow...Far-I-Sight,...I kno cuz Imon was born in Puerto Rico so InI have AFRICAN/Indian/Asian traits....asian bein my hair....so I know that if ya really waan ya hair to lock ya have to give it a jumpstart...1st it haffi to be a least 6-8 inches before ya start deh locks...then BACKCOMB it..if ya dont kno wha BACKCOMBING is...do a search on computer for it...then it take a least two years of not combing it to set the locks....then its up to JAH....after some time they will start takin there own path...forming and conneting...It take Patience and Perservence...which is a vaulable life lesson....ya definately need a Tam or a turban to make things easier....good luck...and no Babylon soaps....keep it Ital...all natural...dr bronner's is good for InI hair texture...
Blessings Always
~Jah Woek

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 4/25/2007 9:55:11 AM

When I first started growing locks, I knotted it by rubbing I hair with I fingers to get it started, but I didn't use any wax or things like that. Once the knots started, I hair knotted itself and I didn't do anything anymore. As I locks grow, I sometimes get some straight strands that grow, and they eventually lock theirself without I touching them.

I do know some white RasTafarI with straight hair that didn't do anything to start their hair locking. Their hair eventually locked on its own, but for a long time before this happened they just looked like they had messy hair.

One thing I noticed is that even though black people don't have to do anything to lock their hair, most people I see that start locking it braid it until it gets locked. I assume this is so they get the thickness of locks they want.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: Bro Dominiq Yehyah Anbesa Sent: 4/26/2007 11:04:55 AM

Ises

You know, I would have curly hair and not wooly hair. So for my part it's easy to answer... maybe the I is not often amongst (real) european Rasta. It's just a matter of HOW the locks will knot... but they definetly will knot no matter where you come from. I have some totally white Idren with straight hair... and their locks won't just look that "neaty". You have much loose hair in between but that's natural... I personally love to see such natural hair. You know amongst whites this is similar to in the early days in JA now... because today a black man with locks is quite fashionable... it's "in" .... but a whiteman letting his hair grow FREELY is even today very DREAD.

For my part I can't say much about that... for I am somewhere in between as I said with very curly hair.
The thing is, as I believe, you don't dry your hair with the hairdryer after washing it, but rubbing it dry with the towel. It will absolutely start to knot... but of course it will not look that "good". But that's fine... like I myself I like how I am and I like my curly and natural look.... and I like to see real dread whites for then you know WHO IS WHO if they don't sell out for vanity. I just can't stand fashion dreads nomatter in what colour they might come.

I have a white brethren who was a locksman for more than 14 years even before I started to grow´I locks. And now when he started to grow them again (due to Nazarene reasons) I saw he really left it naturally and they knotted together quite amazingly.
In fact the problem is for most white people the other way round... they TOO spend lots of time combing their hair and getting the knots out of it. But it is perfect as JAH created it. SELASSIE I

Selah

Messenger: prophecy Sent: 4/26/2007 8:48:07 PM

blessed heart of love, I am native and white. I have curly hair. When I locked I hair I started by praying to Jah to accept I covenant again, and I just wrapped I hair, put an all natural or organic oil in i hair and let it grow. It has been a year and I dreads are to I shoulders. I guess jah was experimenting with I, cause at the end of (1/2 of I locks) are about an inch of hair that didn't lock- its just curly hair. then i have some hair that grew in that didn't even dread. Jah is a real artist..wink. I personally feel if jah want ur dreads to lock they will lock, but I could be wrong.

Messenger: HIMrulesWEall Sent: 5/14/2007 7:34:23 PM

Blessed Love Idren

ya nah wrong prophecy, the Will of HM Jah RasTafarI is strong and definate.

If meant to have a natty dread, then by golly the I a have some natty dread.

I locks cyant be explained, them just grow, dig it?

Rasta have locks, its the way Jah make InI the Blacksheep of society, even Damian Marley say this, "ya cyant go a Zion and a wear Jerry-Curls, cyant tell da boys from da girls."

there is an Ivine manner to erything.

Its all up to InI Lord Jah RasTafarI Haile I Selassie I.

Jah Bless

Messenger: Ras Sistren Khamyl Sent: 5/15/2007 1:24:38 PM

I have a mixed texture. I cut my locs to set myself apart because the youth wearing locs like they wore the jheri curl in the 80's. I washed my hair, conditioned it with shea butter, and left it alone for 3 days; when I got ready to braid my hair, it had sectioned into 7 portions

just an interesting tidbit as evidence of JAH works

RSK

Messenger: Eleazar1234 Sent: 9/17/2008 11:37:21 PM

I and I am in college now and I want to grow locks. I have about 3 to 4 inches of hair and a beard. I don't comb my hair at all. I saw on youtube that I should only wash my hair one or two times a week and use only organic shampoo. It also said not to run my fingers through my hair so I won't do that. It said to get a beenie or hat to put my hair in. So with time I should get knots in my hair but it will probably won't look too good for a while. I don't want to use wax or backcombing, I want to grow it naturally. Should I twist my hair or something like that to get it started or should I just let my hair grow? I'd appreciate any advice on growing locks with straight hair naturally. I do take a shower ever day though, I only wash my body and my beard. I like to run a lot so I will wash my hair after I run so I don't get sweat built up in my hair. Hopefully I will have locks in a year or so!

HOLY SELASSIE I JAH RASTAFARI
KING OF KINGS
LORD OF LORDS
CONQUERING LION OF THE TRIBE OF JUDAH
ALMIGHTY GOD AND KING
MIGHTY REDEEMER

Messenger: Eleazar1234 Sent: 9/21/2008 10:19:59 AM

I and I got this organic shampoo called Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps 18-in-1 Hemp Peppermint PURE-CASTILE- SOAP made with organic oils its all organic and has hemp oil in it.

1 - 1011 - 17

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I