Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=1827&start_row=11

why all this christ talk?

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 23
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: still looking Sent: 4/19/2007 7:32:06 AM

respect Osiris,

Honestly I can't tell the I what to do, and i don't mean that to be evasive. We all walk this life and come across all of its teachings and then decide what feels right for us. No one has authority over us or has our exact experiences. As bob said, "Every man was a baby one time". to me that means to look to myself for guidance more than another --- i will listen however, but never will i blindly just go.

I hope you can tell from i post InI have the utmost respect for Selassie I and Africa -- but because HIM claim christ does not mean I must.----- EVERY man was a baby one time ---

I have much love and respect for gandhi --- but INI would not claim his god to be mine.

I have much love and respect for the Dalai Lama ---but again I will not claim his buddha as mine.

like someone posted recently on this thread ----the character jesus was jewish, but those upset or frustrated with me don't talk of judaism, they talk of christianity.

shouldn't in reality, if they do not wish to be guilty of what they say to me, claim to be jewish because jesus was?

much respect

Messenger: still looking Sent: 4/19/2007 8:12:03 AM

Respect sunofman,

"Please articulate an answer, to all of the I's question's." Are you a teacher?

In the story of jesus there were 2 groups that had questions for him. 1) those that wished to listen and think about what he was saying and 2) those that were looking for a particular answer.

out of the first group came his disciples and out of the second came the politicians and clergy who crucified him because he did not give the answers they wished to hear.

you are of the second group. you are not asking questions to overstand --- you are asking questions to cast judgement on the answers that do not fit into your current views. A very fundalmentalist christian approach.

Why do you have questions? I have not written in code. InI views are very clear.

I love and respect Selassie I and have learned much from HIM. I love and respect Mother Africa.

the I is upset or frustrated with I however on the issue of jesus, which by the way I never said "the myth makes you sick to your stomach".

And actually you in your last post basically have said what I have said, but you think by changing words your view is somehow different. I call it a myth, and you say, "I can't prove that Christ existed in a physical sense, but as a "concept"....".

is a concept really different than a myth? or does a myth teach a concept? does the santa myth teach the concept of giving. does the tortoise and hare myth teach the concept of persistence. The jesus myth teaches the concept of love. I have no problem with that, but the reality is, the jesus myth is a european myth.

When I am in Africa and I see pictures of a white jesus in the houses of Africans it hurts my soul. As the Spear cries out every other nation has their god, Why can't InInInI.

To 99% of the people in the world, when they hear the name jesus they think white. Yea-- a tiny fraction of rastas have found the bible passages that seem to describe the hero figure as black. But to the vast majority he is white.

When InI own children go out in the world -- if I have been chanting up the mythical figure jesus (even if I tell them he was black) they will run into the opposition that speaks of him as if he is white. They will then either argue with them or start to question what they learn at home.

When InI children go out in the world from a house that chants up Selassie I, they will not run into any opposition that speaks of HIM as white. There will be no question. HE is no myth. HE is real and HE is African

"the first light becomes brighter the longer we close our eyes so our first reaction is to shut them again".

Respect

Still Looking ---- with no intent to stop

Messenger: J_72 Sent: 4/19/2007 9:42:16 AM

still looking,

I hear what you are saying loud and clear. Mutabaruka has brought up this very issue regarding Yshua and Haile Selassie I. And I ask that question also: if ones are telling ones that we follow Yshua because HIM did, then those same ones should be Jewish because Yshua was a Jew.

I think they are missing the point that Africans have an image of JAH right here in today's age, through Haile Selassie I, and pictures and words and current reports of his actions...whereas Yshua lived 2,000 years ago and we have next to nothing as far as words, actions, etc. This is in no way discouraging following the teachings of Yshua, but we can't take on the Christian colonial mindset when it comes to differing p.o.v. within the Rastafari Movement regarding Yshua and HIM.

Peace

Messenger: Osiris Sent: 4/19/2007 12:07:37 PM

still looking,
The I says that the same god as gandhi or the dalai lama is not yours, but I sight that they are all the same god. There has always been One God and One people no matter how one chooses to worship him.
I once heard a wise man say: "God created man in his own image, and man was kind enough to return that favor". He was joking, but I saw the point.
At one point in time we all shared the same physical characteristics, because we all have the same central origin- Africa. So in reality, we are all children of the same father. When we look at each other, regardless of skin color, texture of hair, or shape of the face what we are seeing is the image of the Almighty.

reason forward

Messenger: Selahssie i son Sent: 4/19/2007 12:17:28 PM

The fool says in his heart there is no christ.christ is the one who the one the world didnot know,if they had know him they would have accepted haile Selahssie the lion of judah.the conquering lion said we should fallow christ (Jah) and christ said look for a king to reign in righteousness,sitting upon the throne of glory
In the last days.the lord said unto my lord sit a sit at my right hand until i make thy enemies thy foot stool,in ethiopia this one and that one was born there,the two standing before Jah

Messenger: still looking Sent: 4/19/2007 2:26:21 PM

Respect Osiris,

to the first part, the hindu has hundreds (if not thousands) of gods. and to the dalia lama there is no god. my point was however that as much as i love and respect them InI need not choose to believe all that they do.

and yes i agree completely that we all came out of Africa and so that is the glue that bonds all of us.

now be careful of the propaganda that has kept women as second class citizens up until this very time ---- we all come from the same source. But if the I wishes to give the source a personal feel shouldn't we say Mother and Father? we can't have children without both so both are equally important.

peace

Messenger: still looking Sent: 4/19/2007 2:28:33 PM

seen J_72,

the image of JAH right here in this time.

respect

Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 4/20/2007 6:20:00 PM

Give Thankhs Still Eternally Looking (as am I)...

"Please articulate an answer, to all of the I's question's." Are you a teacher?

***Student and Teacher, as we all are, and please articulate an answer to all of the I's questions (this time)

In the story of jesus there were 2 groups that had questions for him. 1) those that wished to listen and think about what he was saying and 2) those that were looking for a particular answer.

out of the first group came his disciples and out of the second came the politicians and clergy who crucified him because he did not give the answers they wished to hear.

you are of the second group. you are not asking questions to overstand --- you are asking questions to cast judgement on the answers that do not fit into your current views. A very fundalmentalist christian approach.

*** In trying to overstand where the I is coming from, of course my questions are judgmental, because you're making statements that are very difficult to back up, and the I has still not backed them up. Granted, I do have a point of view, but I'm not trying to base mine on half truths. Christ said to follow Him, the Jews said He was full of it, I'm not trying to crucify the I but just like the disciples how can I believe if the I doesn't answer the questions

Why do you have questions? I have not written in code. InI views are very clear.

***Like I said, you're basing your views on half truths, thus, they're about 50% clear, so I simply asked the I to articulate, something you seem afraid to do. His Majesty is a Christian and a great African leader, how can the I separate the two? this is my question, and you have not been clear about it at all.

I love and respect Selassie I and have learned much from HIM. I love and respect Mother Africa.

***I'm glad to hear it, but what has the I learned from the FACT that His Majesty was a devout christian?

the I is upset or frustrated with I however on the issue of jesus, which by the way I never said "the myth makes you sick to your stomach".

***I'm sorry, you are right, you said it hurts your soul, my bad

And actually you in your last post basically have said what I have said, but you think by changing words your view is somehow different. I call it a myth, and you say, "I can't prove that Christ existed in a physical sense, but as a "concept"....".

is a concept really different than a myth? or does a myth teach a concept? does the santa myth teach the concept of giving. does the tortoise and hare myth teach the concept of persistence. The jesus myth teaches the concept of love. I have no problem with that, but the reality is, the jesus myth is a european myth.

***I see where the I is coming from, and I never said all myths are bad, many myths are there to teach a concept of righteousness and I love them for that. Now, jeezus is a european myth, IYASUS, however was not created by the minds of europeans. If the I is trying to say that you're just not comfortable with using the example of Christ outright because of european perversion, that would make perfect sense, and I wouldn't judge the I in the slightest for saying so. Yet, europeans did not write the original Bible, and unless I'm crazy I read one of His Majesty's speeches in which he states "we Ethiopians have the OLDEST version of the Bible", what does that mean to the I?

When I am in Africa and I see pictures of a white jesus in the houses of Africans it hurts my soul. As the Spear cries out every other nation has their god, Why can't InInInI.

To 99% of the people in the world, when they hear the name jesus they think white. Yea-- a tiny fraction of rastas have found the bible passages that seem to describe the hero figure as black. But to the vast majority he is white.

***I'm not wrapped up in the majority world vision of jeezus's racial background. I don't think there are any Rastas that haven't come to the conclusion that even the kjv is presenting an Iyasus that is not white

When InI own children go out in the world -- if I have been chanting up the mythical figure jesus (even if I tell them he was black) they will run into the opposition that speaks of him as if he is white. They will then either argue with them or start to question what they learn at home.

*** If you and yours are not feeling the story of Iyasus then don't teach it to the I's children, but I don't see how the I can teach them of His Majesty and just leave out the "myth" that He based so much, if not all, of His life upon

When InI children go out in the world from a house that chants up Selassie I, they will not run into any opposition that speaks of HIM as white. There will be no question. HE is no myth. HE is real and HE is African

***And He was an extremely passionate Christian, the Defender of the Faith, the Head of the Tewahedo Beta Christian, a Man who built Christian churches the world over, a Man who had a picture of a white Iyasus hanging over His own bed, who even spoke at world Christian conferences when he was invited by the evangelist billy graham. And if the I actually think that His Majesty cared about the skin color of Christ, then you'd be wrong.

"the first light becomes brighter the longer we close our eyes so our first reaction is to shut them again".

*** Love the quote, and although it may not seem like it, we agree on more than the I might realize. What I've been disagreeing with, and what the I has construed as fundamentalist christian judgements is the true person of His Majesty Qedemawi Haile Selassie. So for the sake of trying let me ask the I one more time, and PLEASE address the question this time: If the I's soul is hurt by the myth of Iyasus, which is not of european origin, why does the I uplift the Man that believes in the Myth???
Hailing His Majesty for being one of Africa's great warriors and leaders is fine and I'm not trying to discourage the I, but I am trying to overstand how the I separates His Majesty's Christian livity from who He is, and I'm quite sure that the I's children will be asking the same question one day.
AHADU AMLAK
SELAM

Messenger: inajahlove Sent: 4/22/2007 11:52:09 AM

no words can give. He who feels it knows it.

Many ascended Masters have walked this plane.

With the Roar that is heard throughout - JAH RASTAFARI

Messenger: still looking Sent: 4/22/2007 8:53:59 PM

respect Sunofman,

seen -- InI agree probably more than disagree ---but that one area has you vexed/confused/perplexed?

I will try to answer the I's question "If the I's soul is hurt by the myth of Iyasus, which is not of european origin, why does the I uplift the Man that believes in the Myth???"

and I will try to keep it short.

"and many think a great god will come from the sky and take away everything and make everybody feel high. but if you know what life is worth you will look for yours right here on earth -- so now you see the light..."

Selassie I is real,(right here on earth)---- what he used as HIS internal guide is for me, not important. What matters to me is HIS actions and HIS words. those can lift me. I read and study Gandhi and the Dalai Lama regularly. They both care as deeply as HIS Majesty about love and compassion and equality. They each were guided by different sources - yet their actions are righteous. With them as with HIM their internal guides are not as important to me as their actions and their words.

InI's children know of gandhi and the lama and how they guide me - yet they don't really know of the hindhu or buddhist myths.

i don't see that this will cause them any difficulties out in the world. if anything they will probably educate others, just as their father does when they get approached by those trying to encourage them to base their life on a myth.

often when I am approached I ask if they know Selassie I - to which they say no. Then I usually ask if they know anything about hinduism or buddism or any other religion. in every case so far the answer has always been no. it is at this point i ask them that if you don't really know anything about any other religion, then how can you say your way is the best or only way to where ever it is you wish to go.

If I need to teach a lesson to I children about perseverence would it be better to tell them of the tortoise and the hare or a real person that they can see and know----for I --INI choose the see and know.

So i guess to answer your question on how i can lift up the man who was inspired by a myth ---- because as a person with free will, I choose to.

there are many many ways to find the light of love and truth -- Selassie I is I root

"a mighty god is a LIVING man..."

Sunofman, my soul isn't hurt by the myth - it is hurt by what it has done to many africans. I was approached by a young african christian man when i was walking in zimbabwe 2 years ago. he wants I to get jesus into I life. I try to talk to him about mandela --- i wanted to show him a mondern day black moses --so he could hold up a strong african man as a role model. the poor kid could not even listen to me - he didn't even want to hear it. he wanted to walk around with his bible and his little picture of the white jesus and talk about his savior. I thought how easy it will be for this man to be exploited by some white person who he sees as the image of his god.

Much respect sunofman and InI don't wish to cause you any discomfort. InI do agree on much and maybe it is best if we focus on our similarities as oppossed to our one difference.

one love

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 23

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I