Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=176&start_row=1

Red, Yellow, Green

1 - 1011 - 2021
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ark I Sent: 1/21/2004 11:58:58 PM

Greetings,

I was asked to change I flag from Red, Yellow, Green to Green, Yellow, Red. I am not changing it because this is the way that I see it. But it doesn't matter to I whether a next person wants to place it Red, Yellow, Green or Green, Yellow, Red, that is up to them.

The order has changed a few times in the History of Ethiopia. Here is a quote from Haile Selassie I, from his Autobiography. It is from a proclamation of mobilization Haile Selassie I issued to his people on October 3, 1935 after Italy attacked Ethiopia.

If the Italians are proud of their weapons against us, we on our part are proud that our greatest weapon against them is the help of God. Our flag, red, yellow and green, and our seal with the legend "the lion has prevailed" are the symbol of our independence; lest this symbol of our freedom should perish, it is a great honour for our good name and for our history that we die shedding our blood to the very last drop.

Here is a footnote in the Autobiography. It is a comment made by a historian concerning the order that Selassie I called out the colours in this proclamation.

---------------------------
This order, instead of the usual green, yellow, red, is curious, for, while there was for long uncertainty about the sequence of these colours, this was scarcely so in 1935, Cf. de Coppet, 616 ff.;Chojnacki in JES,I,2,49 ff.
---------------------------

So even though the order at that time was generally accepted as Green, Yellow, Red. Selassie I still called it Red, Yellow, Green.

I have heard different reasonings for the order of the colours. Some RasTafarI reason that the Red on top is the flag in times of war, and the Green on top is the flag in times of peace.

What I see concerning the flag is that it represent the Rainbow Circle throne spoken about in Revelation.

Revelation 4
2 And immediately I was in the spirit: and, behold, a throne was set in heaven, and one sat on the throne.
3 And he that sat was to look upon like a jasper and a sardine stone: and there was a rainbow round about the throne, in sight like unto an emerald.

I sight that this Rainbow circle round about the throne represents the flag of Ethiopia, where the throne of Haile Selassie I is. And when I look at the Rainbow in the sky, the Red is on top. This is the top of the circle symbolizing the spiritual throne in Jah spiritual heights. When the Rainbow reach the ground, it come to the bottom of the circle where the Green is on top, representing the earthly throne.

This is how I sight the flag and others are free to sight it according to what they see. The reason I keep the Red on top is because I man is fighting as a SoulJah and I look to Jah Spiritual throne, because I deal with spiritual warfare against wickedness in high and low places.

But as I said, this is what I sight, and others may sight it differently, and I speak nothing against how a next person see it.

Jah Love,

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: Ras Sistren Khamyl Sent: 11/23/2004 9:32:19 AM

S E E N ! S E L A H !

Messenger: Nyah Jahphet Anbassa I Sent: 11/23/2004 11:34:17 AM

The 1955 Constitution states clearly:
ARTICLE 124
The Flag of the Empire consists of three horizontal bands, the uppermost green, the middle yellow and the nethermost red, in such details as determined by law.

Selah

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 11/23/2004 11:25:40 PM

Yes I, even in 1935, the flag was officially Green, Yellow and Red. But Selassie I still chanted it Red, Yellow, Green.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: RasEmpressGong Sent: 11/24/2004 2:06:39 AM

well from what i have seen online is always green gold and red (its not yellow) and red is blood shed, in the caribbean green comes first becuz it is holy ithiopia the homeland...war cant come first.but yet still when ppl talk they say red gold and green cuz its easier to say it in this order than green gold red! lol

Messenger: Nyah Jahphet Anbassa I Sent: 11/24/2004 3:35:55 PM

Greetings Iyah

Well, Iman also chant it Red, Gold and Green.. meaning Green above.
What was the colour of the flag HIM personally raised when he steped Ethiopian soil in 1941? check it out.

Selah

Messenger: Bredda Alex Sent: 11/25/2004 9:45:06 AM

but why one chant it Red, Gold, Green; due it is Green above?

Messenger: Nyah Jahphet Anbassa I Sent: 11/25/2004 10:02:45 AM

Greetings I

Why not? That doesn't mean that I start above. By the way, I never heard green, gold red... also from Rases who sight it how HIM told it in the constitution.
A bigger problem is chanting Ites gold and green.... though meaning Red below. But I ususally doesn't say it like that.

Selah

Messenger: RasEli Sent: 11/25/2004 10:32:52 AM

From what I overstand its Red, Gold, Green but when done horizontaly green is above.

Ras ElI

Messenger: GreenEye Sent: 11/25/2004 3:33:18 PM

I think it is red, yellow, green.
Because:
1)Selassie I said it like that
2)It is in the historical right order.
First the blood was shed, then the gold was stolen and there is now
da holy Land ZION.

blessings

1 - 1011 - 2021

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI