Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=1712&start_row=1

to Ark I

1 - 3
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 1/12/2007 6:16:02 PM

Blessed love an greetings Ark I
i just had a the chance and time to check properly the Autobiography page and first iman want to give thanks for the wonderful work the I is doing. Jah Bless everytime

There is one thing i am confused about though
" All rights reserved. Can not be reproduced without permission from Frontline Distribution International, Inc."

Frontline has the Reserved Rights to what exactly?
just seeking clarity

Rastafari Is

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 1/14/2007 10:50:46 PM

The person who translated the autobiography it into english had Oxford as the publisher and then Frontline purchased the rights. So they have reserved rights to their english translation. Other people can translate the Amharic and Frontline has no rights over their translation.

With Selassie I speeches, they were translated by a translator that was appointed by Selassie I and published by Selassie I's press. So Selassie I says at the beginning of his speech books that:

ANY PORTION OF THIS BOOK COULD BE REPRODUCED BY ANY PROCESS WITHOUT PERMISSION

But the translator that translated the autobiography did not publish the words with RasTafarI's press, so it doesn't have Selassie I's version of the copyright.

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 1/15/2007 3:37:16 AM

Bless and give thanks iyah
Yes I, i know how King Selassie set it, thats why i was surprised to see the copyright warning.
Ini overstand we all have to earn a living and feed our families but wasnt the whole purpose that the King made his book copyright free so that youths and youths around the world could freely reproduce the book,,,spreading Jah Words and earning a little at the same time?
im not sure if Frontline is a truly rasta organisation or just a publisher who publish conscious and uplifting works..but its still my feeling that they should have followed HIM example

Little bit off the topic but it reminds me of a Sizzla Kolonji interview where he was asked how he felt about people bootlegging his music. He answered with a Proverb which teaches that when one plants a tree and the fruits of the tree are ripe, one shouldnt pick all the fruits but leave some on the tree so that some hungry passerby can have something to eat

Rastafari Is

1 - 3

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I