Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=1636&start_row=71

Re: Bahetawi (s)

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 110111 - 120121 - 130131 - 140141 - 150151 - 160161 - 168
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Fikre Jahnhoi Sent: 1/6/2010 4:51:30 AM

For example, I am sure many of you have seen the paintings in Ethiopian churches, monasteries and on religion icons of the three older men. (The Trinity) It is a very common. These figure(s) are bahetawi, they have the long grey beard and hair, they look like well-aged holy saints.

yuh see de foolishness

de images on de paintings are not representations of the Bahtawi.

It is ini Rastafari Bahtawi who inifest and live up to de image of the hola Trinity
Just as how de Bahtawi inifest this image, said way, Rastafari inna de hills inifest this image of the Trinity, an so does every true mystic around de world

Messenger: Fikre Jahnhoi Sent: 1/6/2010 5:04:25 AM

its not about the dreads, its just that spending time in total darkness for long periods of time causes abundant hair growth

lol, a dis yuh selling as knowledge ???

mi have one word and one letter for yuh, vitamin D

how bout yuh go look at all de cave dwelling or underground animal, and come bak tell i how many have hair growing

oh well, mek i say to all i idren, ini cover ini locks ,but as mch as yuh can get sunlight an water pon your hair, yuh need water and abundant sunlight for healthy hair an skin and bones .....yuh need vitamin D

Messenger: Tyson Sent: 1/6/2010 6:46:58 PM

this subject matter is deep and complex, it is difficult to get all the points expressed in short paragraphs

naturally, if you dont cut your hair it locks and of course the sun is good for everything, but the bahetawi are doing something different

when you spend years inside a cave without sunlight, your body activites its own 'inner sun' also known as the third eye or the pineal gland. when all the senses are shut down from being in darkness, sight, smell, touch etc and there is no light, the pineal gland goes into overdrive and releases lots and lots of melanin, i am sure most of you know that melanin is powerful stuff, when this happens, the hair starts to grow in abundance,
the activation of the pineal gland does many other things to the mind and body

after years in the cave, the 'diamond body' takes over from the physical body which has been temporarily shut down and the bahetawi regain the pre-fallen state of man

question, i am familiar with the concept of the Trinity, just wanted to know why the image of the old man is used and why the Ancient of Days is also depicted as an old man, I believe there is a connection between the bahetawi and the throne of JAH

Messenger: Tyson Sent: 1/6/2010 10:03:29 PM

in terms of the younger bahetawi, i would say they are 'becoming bahetawi' for the journey is long and takes decades, once you have completed years and years of training then you can become a bahetawi in the fullness, it is gradually earned by age and experience, hence the reason for the focus on the elders

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 1/7/2010 2:01:16 PM

Tyson, will the I be also using Buddhist terms like "diamond body" when describing the Bahtawi in your book.

I know that the mystics of the different trods are close to eachother and in the purist form the same, but it might be better to approach it in the context of the Bahtawi and Ethiopian Orthodox.

What do the Bahtawi call the state of Irits that the Buddhists refer to as "diamond body"?

It comes again to what Fikre Jahnhoi was speaking about non-RasTafarI authors writing books about RasTafarI, there are too many assumptions and misunderstanding because they don't really Iverstand the fullness of who they are writing about. It is like when people talk about RasTafarI people and say things like they grow locks because they learned it from Sadhus that came from India, even though as I and I can see with the Bahtawi, locks is also used by them, and as can be seen in the Nazarite vow of the Bible, locks were used by Israelites who took the vow.

The Locks of the Bahtawi have the same purpose they have for other Hola People like RasTafarI who grow locks. It is not just a by-product of staying in a cave and not cutting it like the I is suggesting, there is a much more important Reason for it.

Messenger: Tyson Sent: 1/7/2010 9:15:10 PM

I overstand what you are saying,

To frame it within the beliefs of the Orthodox Church, I would say the 'diamond body' is the meta-physical state of Adam in paradise, his livity in Eden and his original perfection. The bahetawi are training to re-enter paradise and their spiritual works are the foundation of the Church and its monastic communities.
The idea of living in caves is very strange to some, yet this practice has been around for thousands of years. Monastaries are ancient and the ascetic life was once a widely accepted method for seeking the divine.
The real cave is the 'cave of the mind', the sub-conscious, the soul. It is this 'inner space' within themselves where the bahetawi go in order to be re-born like angels
Rastafari is on the same trod

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 1/7/2010 11:40:49 PM

How much of the book will be based on research about the Bahtawi compared to your interpretation of them?

For example, when the I said,
---------------------
in terms of the younger bahetawi, i would say they are 'becoming bahetawi' for the journey is long and takes decades, once you have completed years and years of training then you can become a bahetawi in the fullness, it is gradually earned by age and experience, hence the reason for the focus on the elders
---------------------

I Iverstand where the I is coming from when the I said that, because the Irits of a Bahtawi that has been trodding for years will likely be Higher than a person who just started their trod. But in terms of the Ethiopian view of the Bahtawi, do they see the younger ones as "becoming Bahtawi", or do they just sight that at the point a person takes that trod, they are Bahtawi, as long as they continue in that way.

And also when the I said this,

-------------------------------------
when you spend years inside a cave without sunlight, your body activites its own 'inner sun' also known as the third eye or the pineal gland. when all the senses are shut down from being in darkness, sight, smell, touch etc and there is no light, the pineal gland goes into overdrive and releases lots and lots of melanin, i am sure most of you know that melanin is powerful stuff, when this happens, the hair starts to grow in abundance,
the activation of the pineal gland does many other things to the mind and body

after years in the cave, the 'diamond body' takes over from the physical body which has been temporarily shut down and the bahetawi regain the pre-fallen state of man
-------------------------------------

Did the I come to those things by reading sources of information about the Bahtawi, or is that your interpretation of why they go into the cave?

If the I goes forward with this book, the I should not include your interpretations of the Bahtawi unless it is made known in each instance that it is your interpretation. Your opinion might not always be right, so it is best to make it known so that people will know that it may or may not be true from the perspective of a Bahtawi.

Also, in the sources you read, does the I know if the authors mixed their interpretation of the Bahtawi with the facts about them without distinguishing what was or was not their interpretation?

Like I said, I don't know if the Bahtawi want anybody to write a book about them at all, but if a person does write a book, they should make sure they do it with proper respect and make sure what is written as fact is actually fact.

If the I have views of spirituality and how people can attain it, then it is better to write a book of what the I thinks about that, and not include those things in a book about the Bahtawi.

Messenger: Tyson Sent: 1/8/2010 6:23:30 PM

The work is for all of those interested in the bahetawi tradition and it would be hard to write a book about them without talking about spirituality. The bahetawi specialize in our relationship with the divine.
THe story I have to tell has been inspired by Jah

Guidance to all

Messenger: SunofMan Sent: 1/8/2010 8:43:23 PM

Greetings...

Tyson, I am curious about the origins of your assertions that

"also, when the Derg had put His Majesty in prison, only the bahetawi were allowed to see him,"

and also, that "considering that it was customary for all Ethiopian kings to live in the hills and become bahetawi after their reign"

Customary??? to the very best of my knowledge, an Ethiopian King is either deposed, under dubious (at best)circumstances, or dies. Even in senility an Ethiopian King is still technically a King, even if the Queen or other dignitaries are holding things down. I am under the impression that after the reign there is no custom aside from that of burial. I wish I could think where to look up the quote, but I know I've read His Majesty saying something to the effect of their not being an end to His reign, until something untimely goes down. I am not an expert, and while I read a lot, I may not know of the customs yer speaking of, please enlighten me...and I also want to know how you came to the knowledge that His Majesty was spending time with Ba'atawi after being imprisoned by the Derg?

Also, from my own experiences I can also assert that there are some young Ba'atawi, and our opinions of their Ba'atawian status means nothing, also, not all Ba'atawi have locks yet, I've seen Ba'atawi with short braids, I'm assuming that's in effort to promote their locks. Some Ba'atawi do live in huts too, an not just caves. It differs.

Tyson I don't mean to be overly critical or harsh, I'm definitely interested in the I's book, and spiritual philosophies...it is important to discern for the reader between actual custom and culture and the philosophies and opinions of I and I as individuals and authors, that's just my two cents.

Looking forward to the answers to my questions though...

Selam

Messenger: Tyson Sent: 1/10/2010 1:49:22 PM

Bless,

Any feedback or critics that help InI are welcome, give thanks

All the sources for the book will be in the bibliography so anyone can follow through on the information and where it came from, you can draw your own conclusions from these sources

Some of the most important insights came from talking to Ethiopians when I was living there, especially older people who had lots of stories to tell, including many about the bahetawi and their relationship with His Majesty. This oral history is very important and more information will come out in the future as more Ethiopians tell their own story.

In terms of Kings heading to the hills after their reign, I would say it is very important to remember that the Ethiopian Orthodox Church is a monastic based church, even the king and queens of the church are part of the monastic tradition and its philosophy.
Farmers, soliders and the nobility could join a monastery when they wanted, it was a personal choice.
Each reign of Ethiopian kings and how it ended was different , some died in battle, some got sick, look at Menelik, Tewodros, Yohannes etc
Some leaders decided to end their reign and begin the monastic life, some would live in huts, others would take it a step further and perform more serious ascetic practices like pro-longed isolation in caves
By 'customary', I mean that it should be no surprise that some kings became monks later in their life. The ascetic life is fundamental to the church. Many of its Saints, teachers, writers, artists and musicians all belonged to the monastic communities and the ascetic life had a major influence on how the entire community related to the divine.
It would have been the personal choice of a king to enter the monastic life, and also there choice to live it to the fullness with the bahetawi tradition. These spiritual teachings are so engrained in the culture of the people that becoming a monk or bahetawi was a natural choice for some.
The emphasis is not so much the dreads. The concept of being in a cave or hut is based on the meta-physical changes that prolonged isolation, silence and darkness bring about. They both serve the same purpose. What is important is the 'adventure of the mind' that the bahtewi experience, the mystical visions and the transformation from a man into an angel, is the most crucial point
I hope that helped and any ideas you have about the subject, I would like to hear also

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 110111 - 120121 - 130131 - 140141 - 150151 - 160161 - 168

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I