Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=1636&start_row=61

Re: Bahetawi (s)

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 110111 - 120121 - 130131 - 140141 - 150151 - 160161 - 168
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Ark I Sent: 1/5/2010 3:21:05 PM

Here is another reasoning about the monk picture Haile Selassie is still alive video - deception

Jah Bird,

I am pretty sure that is not him.

Messenger: Tyson Sent: 1/5/2010 5:14:55 PM

this talk is not about me, its a forum to discuss bahetawi and other related subjects

there are other Rasta's on the internet and youtube who are pushing the picture of the monk, if you are firmly against this picture being H.I.M, then you should focus your comments towards them, I dont want to argue back and forth about the photo, whats most important is the bahetawi tradition

I noticed that some people on the forum wanted to know about the bahetawi and i wanted to share some info

I have seen the video you posted 'African Tibet', it will be interesting to watch the whole documentary if it ever comes out
those pics that you posted are good photos, but they are still not bahetawi,
bahetawi look like Rasta elders

My personal experience with this subject was spending over a year in Ethiopia and when I first noticed the bahetawi in the Entoto region of Addis, I began to ask the local people, members of the church and search around for more info, I looked anywhere I could find some info on the bahetawi

my main point is that a better understanding of bahetawi, will be helpful for the movement, there are many interesting things about them

InI refuse to make nasty comments to others on this forum, there is no point,

Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 1/5/2010 5:37:35 PM

Tyson,

Just stop pushing the monk photo as Selassie I and there is no problem.

Can you post any chapters from your book? I would be interested in reading.

Messenger: Eleazar Sent: 1/5/2010 5:52:37 PM

Also, how do you know that the pictures Jah Bird posted are not Bahetawi? Is every Bahetawi required to have dreadlocks?

Jah Bird is from Ethiopia, I trust his knowledge of Ethiopian culture.

Messenger: Tyson Sent: 1/5/2010 7:05:39 PM

its not about the dreads, its just that spending time in total darkness for long periods of time causes abundant hair growth, when the monks emerge from years in a cave or under a tree, they usually have long beards and long hair, they are also older men, over 60.
There are lots of monks in Ethiopia, but not all of them have practiced long term asceticsim
for those interested, some sample chapters will be online soon

Messenger: Fikre Jahnhoi Sent: 1/5/2010 9:34:00 PM

Raspect to the i Ark I, but mi haffe call dem how i see dem

The i dem shoulda know, mi nah even try fe rebuke dem fool yah, my rebuke is reserved strictly for de wise

Jah Bird, i hope de i start fe realeyes what mi a talk bout character

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 1/5/2010 10:23:35 PM

Tyson,

I am not Ethiopian, so I don't have enough personally experience about the Bahtawi, but in regards to whether or not they want to be written about, especially for the profit of another; by the Life they have chosen, it doesn't make sense that they would want such publicity, they have chosen to be completely separate.

Did the I ever ask some Bahtawi if they wanted to be written about? I see some Ethiopian RasTafarI people have serious issue with it. And from what I see, It looks like it is because of the Respect they have for the Bahtawi and the Life they chose, and because of the closeness of the Bahtawi to them by the combination of their Ethiopian ancestry and their RasTafarI Trod, they are being protective and defensive for them. Their reaction should at least make the I look into this more and try to find out if it is appropriate to write about them to sell books.

Messenger: Tyson Sent: 1/6/2010 12:56:31 AM

That is true, the lifestyle of the bahetawi must be respected for what it is and one of my reasons for joining these forums is to get feedback,
I think the audience for the book will be those small groups of Rasta people and others who are studying the ancient ways and have come to know of the bahetawi. Most people are not interested and I think it will only draw attention from people who truly seek what these mystics have to offer
For example, I am sure many of you have seen the paintings in Ethiopian churches, monasteries and on religion icons of the three older men. (The Trinity) It is a very common. These figure(s) are bahetawi, they have the long grey beard and hair, they look like well-aged holy saints. Unlike the many monks you see in Ethiopia, the bahetawi are very unique and quite distinguishable. It is the major role they play in the entire philosophy of the church that is most interesting.
I agree, leave them alone, but I think the tradition they follow is the message

Messenger: Fikre Jahnhoi Sent: 1/6/2010 4:16:33 AM

I hav visited and travelled inna de Hola land Ithiopia
And i hav spoke to Bahtawi monks who are younger than i.

If the i them are interested in reading misconceptions and half truths and out and out lies about the Bahtawi, gwaan an give im your money

Messenger: Jah Bird Sent: 1/6/2010 4:32:11 AM

'its not about the dreads, its just that spending time in total darkness for long periods of time causes abundant hair growth, when the monks emerge from years in a cave or under a tree, they usually have long beards and long hair, they are also older men, over 60.'

Abundant hair growth is caused by not cutting the hair.

Fikre Janhoi, yes I point taken well.

Ark I said it, I have said it they want to be seperated left alone.
"Their reaction should at least make the I look into this more and try to find out if it is appropriate to write about them to sell books." if you can't overstand this then i really don't know what more to say. Thier is nothing mystrious about them. They don't the earthly life no carnal ways just spiritual ways. Ofcourse no all are the same you have young bahtawian and older.
Example : my aunt's husband was very spiritual from young age.. after finishing his education worked in the city lived the city life got married etc. He decided that this life was not meant for him, he called the elders of the family gathered them told then that he is going to the mountains, to live the life of a bahtawi.
No one could say no to him even his wife it is the Irits the guides those people to do thing that is almost impossible.
so my aunt took him to the monastry said there goodbye's and came back home. no one heard from him again.
I am sure that he will never want to be in a book with a picture.
I am also sure iff you would see him and talk to him that he would be most willing to share what he knows.
You have been jumping form one subject to another you confuse yourself.
The picture you are talking about (The Trinity), tells i you don't know the Ethiopian Church, first if you had a good look at the picture,three men but all are the same 3=1 1=3, all RastafarI here know exactly what i am talking about.
They are not Holy saints.
My advice would be if you want to write the book then go back not for one year but for years,if you still think then it is right to exploit those people fighting all kinds of temptations day and night from the wicked, really struggling to stay in that irits, those people who are asking Jah for forgivness for what you and I have done, its not only for themseives you know? plenty people with all kinds of intention turn the quite mountains into tourrist attraction.It has already started now.
Ark I but he never said that it wasn't him.

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071 - 8081 - 9091 - 100
101 - 110111 - 120121 - 130131 - 140141 - 150151 - 160161 - 168

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I