Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=1582&start_row=1

Someone asked: How'd Rastafari Get To This?

1 - 1011 - 20
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: EmpressCarla Sent: 8/8/2006 12:19:22 PM

Blessings

The following was a post from another forum. The question intrigued me. And since I usually gain from the reasoning on this forum, I thought I might take the liberty of posting the question here to see where the discussion might lead. I responded to the original post on the other forum and will post my response here as well. But I would like to see what others here have to write first. Give thanks.

---------------------------------------------------

Blessed love,

Just before I went to sleep last evening, I read the essay "Personal Reflections on Rastafari in West Kingston in the Early 1950's" by journalist George Eaton Simpson, from the Rastafari Reader. Though I was of course familiar with the foundation of this movement - as a 'Back To Africa' program - but was suprised to the true extent this was strictly enforced. Before dreadlocks, drumming, or any of that.

My question then, in contrast, is how did we get here? How did such an exclusive movement in the Carribean - that used to start meetings with 'Death to White People! - And Black Traitors!' - spawn not only into something internationally recognized - obviously a result of the music - but also into an isolated livity and divinity sighting of Haile Selassie I that can be identified by Europeans, Asians, Native Americans, and Australians alike?

Is it a positive thing that so many of non-African descent have also found the undeniable truth in the divinity of HIM HSI, or is it only further derailing from the original 'Back To Africa' ideals?

Thoughts?

---------------------------------------------------

Rastafari Love and Light
Empress Carla

Messenger: Empress Nzingha Sent: 8/8/2006 1:55:01 PM

Sistren,
In the times that we find ourselves, these things are immaterial. Can a man change my belief because he distorts it for his own mind? No. Can a woman take my dignity by making my lifestyle dirty to suit her own short comings? No. Just as many people have twisted Christianity, have twisted Islam, have twisted Judaism, have twisted Yuruba, Have twisted KMT, have twisted Black people, have twisted Arabs, have twisted Jews, have twisted Asians, have twisted Latinos they have also twisted Rastafari but we are not a broken people. We are a small resistance, pure of intent and strong of will.
Afrika must be free. By any means neccessary. If they (whomever they may be) will not go willing, then they (whomever they may be) will go unwillingly. If a white man says to me "Black woman, you should be free," then he can fight by my side or pass by unharmed. If a white man says to me "Nigger, know you place," then I will step into my position on top of his ignorance. I don't care what color your face is, when I am moving you can move or be moved but I am coming through, either way.
Rastafari has expanded to realize that my enimy's enimy is my friend. Our purpose has not changed. We are Afrikans. We come from Akebulan. We are going back one day. Only then can there be peace.

Messenger: JAH Coyote Sent: 8/9/2006 3:58:26 AM

It is a very interesting question you ask. I am a Rastafarian of Native American and European descent.

When the Rastafari movement came to be it was dealing with many issues which were not being addressed in Babylon, questions which were not even being considered by most Babylonians. Such as why Black people cannot be free.

JAH Love is truth. Selassie I is truth. Man cannot be seperated from truth.

All races are mankind.

JAH Love all of mankind as all of mankind are created in JAH image. In HIM Likeness.

And so all mankind slowly (and steadily) realize this. And all mankind that wishes to be preserved shall turn to Rastafari. For Rastafari is truth as Rastafari is Selassie I and Selassie I is truth just as JAH Love is truth. No doubt.

Now we as a people realize it is more than whites that create hatred and problems in the world just as early Rastas discredited whites along with the black traitors. But the overall message of Rastafari, King Selassie I, is to discredit the works of the wicked. Black, white, brown, yellow, red, whatever. Judgement of skin colour is as ungrounded and frivolous as judgement of eye colour, Selassie I say!
So although the followers of Selassie I say death to the white race, the leader, Selassie I, call for the upliftment of all humanity, whites, and everyone included. All mankind has been created in JAH Images. Its all a matter of seeing what is real versus what is not.

Blessed love, RASTAFARI!!!

Messenger: prophecy Sent: 8/9/2006 9:17:23 AM

Greeting Jah Coyote, I am also white/native, was wandering what nation. I am Cherokee, link I if the I wish to at empress4iva@yahoo.com. Give thanx

Messenger: EmpressCarla Sent: 8/9/2006 10:56:25 AM

Blessings

Empress Nzingha, you wrote:
"In the times that we find ourselves, these things are immaterial. Can a man change my belief because he distorts it for his own mind? No."

How 'bout if he distorts it for others? To me, this is a very material topic as it deals with the notion that Rastafari is only about the music or that it is only a One Love vibe or smoking herb. While I feel those are most certainly significant aspects of Rastafari, they are not all encompassing of what Rastafari IS. So if a one goes around touting these things and telling ones and ones they can make up the rest, is that Rasta? And how does this distortion enrich the movement?

Anyway, as promised, the following was my original response to the topic...

------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been pondering this for a day or so now. Indeed it is a good question as it delves into a lot of the confusion and division between roots Rasta and those who view Rastafari as only a “One Love” movement. As noted, at its root Rasta was birthed out of an acute awareness that the present identity of the Diaspora African was not their TRUE identity. Rastafari is the opening of the Third Eye which allows one to see the unseen and unspoken…it is the remembrance of the forgotten. This is the essence of Rasta that is missed by most, regardless of race. It is the mystic of Rastafari.

I do not see the wide recognition of Rasta as a bad thing. Were it not for the spread of it, I as an African in America might never have been exposed. If there is a problem, it is not that many different types of people are aware of it, or even that they claim it. For how can anyone deny TRUTH? If there is a problem, it could be that the aforementioned essence of Rasta is lost on most. Thus, many make it up as they go rather than starting at the root and then branching out.

Certainly Rasta is One Love, but many fail to see the significance of One Love. Rasta is more than music. If ones cannot see deeper than the rhetoric, that is a problem. Rastafari is an African Liberation Movement at its core. So anyone who denies this is not dealing with the origin, and consequently, the fullness of what Rastafari IS.

Someone told me that when Bob Marley came to America it was to bring the truth of Rastafari to the Blacks in America. Whites just happened to receive the message instead. This does not mean that the message is not still for the Black wo/man first and foremost as it is a directive to regain our identity.

From a broader perspective, “Back to Africa” is more than physical movement back to a land mass. It is that, but it is more than that. Again, it is the mystic that will see that Back to Africa for the Diaspora African must first start in the mind, as with all Creation. For the non-African, why would this be any different? If they are Rasta, why would they not also chant “Back to Africa” if Africa represents (in a broader perspective) a rootical state of mind? In my opinion, it is not so necessary (and in a way it is counter-productive) for non-Africans to want to physically immigrate to Africa. Rather, Back to Africa for the non-African should mean getting back to the root, the authentic Self. Africa is the beginning. So one must go back to the beginning, the purity of mind, body and soul. If any “repatriation” must be undertaken, it should be to repatriate back to one’s true identity first. I feel when one’s find this, they will fully overstand Africa for Africans, Europe for Europeans, China for Chinese, and so on.

To me, it is only right and good that Rasta be spread Iniversally as it is for ALL mankind. What needs to happen, though, is that one’s must seek to open their Third Eye and begin to see what they can never know through experience because it is not their experience. They must see (via the Third Eye) Rasta at its root. It is not exclusive, but one must know where they fit. Each member of the body has a specific purpose and usage. All members make up One Body, but a foot cannot do what the nose does, the bladder can never be the heart. But try to get along without either and life will be difficult, or even cease!

When an real apprecilove and innerstanding of the root is realized, the ideal of One Love will only follow. As ones will repatriate back to their Iriginal Self.

Be blessed.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Rastafari Love and Light

Messenger: Empress Nzingha Sent: 8/10/2006 10:20:21 AM

"How 'bout if he distorts it for others?"
There are those who are not seeking what Rastafari is offering. They will always distort the movement. As for those who are, they will seek the deeper meaning. Rastafari is a way of being not a theology. Just as there are those who are Christian who do not accept the church.

"To me, this is a very material topic as it deals with the notion that Rastafari is only about the music or that it is only a One Love vibe or smoking herb."
The music teaches some very basic mass mentality changes. The herbals relax the mob mentality. One love vibe motivates people passive resistance. These things are essential to a revolution.

"While I feel those are most certainly significant aspects of Rastafari, they are not all encompassing of what Rastafari IS."
How could any handfull of theories be all encompassing of what Rastafari is? What Rastafari IS takes a lifetime of study and dedication to self discovery.

"So if a one goes around touting these things and telling ones and ones they can make up the rest, is that Rasta?"
Certainly not.

"And how does this distortion enrich the movement?"
Any Black movement can measure its success by the size of the movement designed to crush it.

Messenger: EmpressCarla Sent: 8/10/2006 10:32:12 AM

Blessings

"How could any handfull of theories be all encompassing of what Rastafari is? What Rastafari IS takes a lifetime of study and dedication to self discovery."
Sistren you are making my very point. This to me is why it is of importance to reason on this topic.

"Any Black movement can measure its success by the size of the movement designed to crush it."
That is not a measure of success. That is only recognition...maybe even threat. To measure the success of a movement, black or otherwise, is to examine the extent to which it reaches its goals. Otherwise, one is just wasting time.

Rastafari Love and Light

Messenger: Empress Nzingha Sent: 8/11/2006 11:29:34 AM

The more impact you are having on the masses, revolutionary impact that is, the larger the counter attack.
For instance, Fidel Castro. Say what you will but the man has helped Afrikans liberate and stay independant for decades. He has also made a safe haven for many revolutionaries to escape persecution and imprisonment.
Paul Robeson was an international mega star. Athelete, performer, scholar and gentleman, who was "black listed" for having revolutionary ideas and opinions.

Question.
Is every Muslim a servant of Allah?
Is every Buddist a monk?
Is every Christian Christ like?

So why would you expect every Rastafari to be a Empress or Emperor?
Either they will learn or they will not.
Rastafari is a private kind of trod. It does not require an entourage. Each upright troder is worth a hundred happy hippies. But when the hippies show up to support the upright will rejoyce. How can you shame the uneducated when you have the knowledge they lack? Teach them with love and they will learn.

When somebody walks the wrong road they will eventually come to the wrong destination and will then have to walk down a new road. As long as we gather together it doesn't matter how we got there only why we have come.

Messenger: EmpressCarla Sent: 8/11/2006 1:46:47 PM

Blessings

Fidel Castro, thru his revolution, actually created change. Something one can measure. Opposition to a movement is only natural. Polarity in effect I guess. So what? If the movement is not attaining it's goals, then it does no real good.

As for expectations of Rastafari, I have none. Shame? Not sure where you're getting that from either. I merely want to take a look at where the movement was, where it is and where it might be headed. I make no value judgements of hippies or anyone else. Just attempting to examine if certain things, certain attitudes, certain perceptions line up with the established goals of the movement. And if not, why?

Be blessed.

Messenger: EmpressCarla Sent: 8/11/2006 1:48:22 PM

"As long as we gather together it doesn't matter how we got there only why we have come."

Is gathering all we seek???

1 - 1011 - 20

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I