Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=1549&start_row=1

Your views on Mental disorder and conventional medication

1 - 1011 - 13
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: Goddess_Bianca Sent: 7/10/2006 10:03:11 AM

Greetings Sistren & Idren
I just want to know different views on the above, I am quite confused over using normal medication to treat mental disorder , bipolar to be more specific.
I want to overstand how I&I can live a life free from these chemicals which seem to do more harm than good

One Love
Jah Bless

Messenger: Dread Lion Sent: 7/10/2006 12:07:18 PM

GREETINS IN THE NAME OF THE MOST HIGH JAH SELASSIE I RASTAFARI

Sistren,
I have a degree in psychology and some experience in this matter, Iman STRONGLY recommend using the medication even though it is difficult. Bi-polar disorder is serious and there is no acceptable alternative to proper medication.

Remember that His Majesty built Ithiopia's first domestic modern hospital and also that He made clear that technology and science contribute to the upliftment of culture and are to be used to aid mankind.

Foregoing medication will usually lead to alot of heartache and pain for everyone involved and possibly worse. This can be a tragic illness and should not be taken lightly. Often the person will hate the medicine because they do not like the way they make them feel and understandably they want to "be themselves" and can even enjoy their manic state, but it usually causes great distress for the ones who care and will sometimes cause real harm.

Of course, an Ital diet, exercise and meditation will increase health and well-being.

ONE PERFECT LOVE SHALL OPEN JAH DOOR

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 7/10/2006 1:11:20 PM

Here is a reasoning I made before about this:

Mental illness and Babylon medication

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: Goddess_Bianca Sent: 7/11/2006 6:16:17 AM

Much thanks for your views.
However I am still having a problem with taking medication prescribed by a Pdoc, the bigger part of my problem is overstanding that there are so many kinds of antidepressants & mood stabilizers, to find a combination that could work could take mths, even years to find, just as what works for one bipolar person might not work with another. The side effects are more ridiculars than tolerable.
I sight to use whats best for me, smoking ganja has proven to stabilise my moods, less manic & less depressed, I know it helps me.
I also follow a strict Ital diet, use meditation daily and seem to be fine, for how long I can self medicate myself Jah only knows

Messenger: Dread Lion Sent: 7/11/2006 1:13:55 PM

LOVE AND ONLY LOVE

Yes I Sistren,

Perhaps your case is not as severe as it could be, give thanks. It can be hard to guage the effect of your own behavior, so if you don't trust your doc, find someone you trust who loves you and ask them to honestly help you decided if your approach is really managing your illness as well as you think it is, (if your doc sucks get a new one!).

People have strange ideas about mental illness, they wouldn't stop you from wearing glasses if you couldn't see or taking insulin if your were diabetic, but somehow mental/behavioral disorders seem less real. They aren't.

Iman am glad to hear that the I eats Ital, meditates and exercises. Yours is not an easy road, give thanks unto the Most High for the strength and clarity that leads you seek new overstanding.

ONE BLESSED LOVE

Messenger: penny Sent: 7/12/2006 7:23:12 AM

this is very hard for me to discuss so bear wit me please. i have alot of supressed hurt that i am either unable to deal wit or i just don't know how to release it. old issuesnew issues that i think about that still hurt. i have alot of family issues that hurt. what do u suggest that i do. oh i get anxiety alot when the stress builds up but i dont take meds of any kind

Messenger: Miss Mudd Sent: 7/18/2006 5:43:29 PM

I came across this site unintentionally and as someone who suffers from bipolar disorder and has done for over 10 years I found the views on conventional medication very interesting and would like to express my own opinion. I know a lot of people who take medication for various mental disorders having been sectioned many times myself. What can I say....... Yes, stopping your medication without weaning yourself off it will probably cause you to become 'unwell' again, depending upon how long you have been taking the medication. The longer you have been taking it the longer it will take to wean yourself off it. Yes, the medication can cause hallucinations. I was initially diagnosed with post natal depression and didn't experience psychosis untill I was prescribed prozac. I'm not sure if I would have experienced psychosis later anyway. I think I might be schitzophrenic but I don't tell my doctor that, no chance. I know a lot of people on medication and some of them are like downs syndrome children- too much medication. Have a healthy fear of your psychiatrist because your worst nightmare could become reality. If you think something harmful then you should say something. The more it carries on you may not come out of it. I don't think evil things, just crazy harmless daydreams. Sometimes you just have to let things go - a bad childhood, abusive partner, men who hurt you, parents who desert you, people who know how to push your buttons. Stay far from badness. Don't dwell on the past, brush it out of your house and don't let it in. I don't advise you taking my route as I attempted suicide many times, even tried to hang myself when they took my little girl, my brain doesn't stop untill I take my medication at night. 4 years of constant medication and I find my main problems are coming to terms with everything that happened, my little girl, the friends who disappeared, being talked about, the ill treatment in hospital, being treated like a child (still), walking around for years doped up, out of my mind, crazy not knowing and now I'm afraid to say it but I really do get crazy thoughts but I do realize that they are crazy but not evil, funny thoughts really, my own little world, but not helpful now because I have a friend. Not violent towards anyone, but might have said some nasty things to nasty people. I have just learned for my own sanity to accept not very much in terms of quality of life, acceptance and compassion and guess what things are changing. Sad isn't it. I put myself down all the time, laugh at myself and do you know what......IT WORKS. Well, it works for them and if it works for them it works for me because they dont lock me up. I still get bad looks and I'm still not 100% sure what is real from what is not because i take my medication like a good little girl (although I am on a better medication now and my psychiatrist is the best Iv ever had). If put myself down noone can really bring me down. Well, they can but, in a strange way it gives me control because then I can deal with it in my own time not when I'm exposed and vulnerable. Armour you could call it. My psychiatrist says I am vulnerable that's why I have to take medication. In the meantime I have space and the freedom to work out my complex escape plan. The journey back to normality. Haven't quite figured that one out yet. When he said I was vulnerable, I listened, because I realised I was, I'm too open and people take advantage. So I'm learning to be more closed which is easy now I HAVE A FRIEND. MEDICATION DOES NOT CURE MENTAL DISORDERS. TIME, FRIENDSHIP, REASSURANCE, SPACE, GOD
AND FREEDOM DOES. Thank the Lord I have found a TRUE friend I wouldn't be here without her.
If you know someone who is going through the initial stages of mental disorder do not send them to the doctor. The doctor will not cure them he will just send them on a psychadelic trip which one day they will have to deal with as well as the disorder. The trip is worse than the disorder for the person involved and they may not survive it. Many people who suffer take their own lives.

EXTRA MEGA VITAMINS, LISTENING, EXPLAINING THAT WHAT MAY BE HAPPENING, (FEELINGS AND HALLUCINATIONS) MAY BE REAL BUT ARE NOT GOOD, EXERCISE, REAL FAMILY SUPPORT, REAL INCLUSION IN YOUR LIFE, HUGS, LOTS OF WATER, NO STRESS, A LITTLE LAUGHTER, YOU MAY SAVE SOMEONE'S LIFE.

To the lady who posted the original message you have to make the choice yourself. I couldn't look after my daughter on the medication I was on. So I didn't take it and got ill. I sent her to her fathers mother, we didn't have nothing to do with him or them before because I thought they was bad, but i sent her so she wouldn't see my illness, Iv never neglected my little girl, well they went to social services and social services said she wouldn't have a stable life with me. I see my little girl but its not enough I know she is very brave but I don't know she is alright unless i am there. I feel sick when I see my little girl not getting the life she deserve, I know this. How do you recover from that? I'v got to go now and take my medication. Whatever you do be careful, maybe you could get a second opinion from a private doctor.

Messenger: Miss Mudd Sent: 7/18/2006 6:21:23 PM

Well, you know something I read the bible every night before I go to bed, well i read about God casting demons out of this man and putting them into pigs. Before i go to bed tonight I'm going to ask God if he can get the pigs away from me. BECAUSE THEY STINK.

Messenger: Rasteca Sent: 7/18/2006 6:37:32 PM

I and I have gone thru similar things in the last year. As I and I came to embrace His Majesty's teachings, I gave up drinking alcohol, smoking ciggarettes, and other "fruits" of Babylon. But such a big change in my body's chemistry threw my system off and I developed an anxiety issue that gave I serious panic/anxiety attacks. The docs prescribed Zoloft, Lexapro and other meds....I gave them a try but I feel that Jah has provided I and I with a holy herb to heal the nations. I rely on Ganja to center myself and H.I.M.'s words to heal the heart...

Messenger: Miss Mudd Sent: 7/19/2006 7:42:23 AM

Hello there. Good to here you have found a way out. I can't smoke ganga, never been a big smoker but have tried it on occassions. Cannot cope with it. Makes me feel like an insect being spied on with a magnifying glass. I talk too much, think too much, can't control it, straight back to hospital, back to square one. Learning about the reality of life all over again and making the same stupid mistakes along the way. Too much medication makes you a fool in life. But I need my medication because I am addicted to it now. So I try to be a smart fool, problem is I don't think that exists. So, basically, just do the best I can. Before I couldn't function with the medication, now I can't function without it. But if I took all the drugs they gave me I wouldn't get out of bed, tried, so I take what I need to get by. I don't tell them because they don't understand. Some medication can cause you to have panic attacks and anxiety but everyone is different, the same drugs react differently in different people. Same with ganga.

1 - 1011 - 13

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I