Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=143&start_row=1

wearing dread locks

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: MICHAEL Sent: 1/8/2004 9:25:44 AM

hail to al my brother and sistaws out there.......just wanted to express thoughts on the hair style......when InI first started to praise H.I.M. InI thought you HAVE to HAVE dreads........InI have come to learn that its alright if you dont wear them.....InI was a strict believer of the hairstyle but have come to realize ITS NOT ALL THAT IMPORTANT......you can still follow the FAITH even if you dont have the dreads........InI have to admit it does make you feel holier........but InI now wear just the long hair and InI am also a beardsman..........InI think that InI am a HYPOCRITE to wear my hair like that.....InI love it but too many people in da world are wearing that hairstyle NOW......they dont even know what it is supposed to emphasize........like InI said , Ini started to think that it was wrong........everywhere InI look there are dread heads........but they only do so for APPEARENCE.....InI hope that my fellow dreads wont be mad at InI.........its just that too many people are wearing that hairstyle for no reason.........so InI am now a BEARDsMAN........InI am also an avid grower.......InI let my plants do the talkin for me........InI am one with my plants , my kindred , my empress , my pets ........InI feel like InI am ONE with the world......JAHs WORLD............JAH SHINE his LIGHT ON ALL MY FELLOW DREADS........PEACE FROM YOUR BREDREN michael............

Messenger: the rock Sent: 1/8/2004 9:41:40 AM

dread
(click to hear the word) (drd)
v. dread·ed, dread·ing, dreads
v. tr.
To be in terror of.
To anticipate with alarm, distaste, or reluctance: dreaded the long drive home.
Archaic To hold in awe or reverence.
v. intr.
To be very afraid.
n.
Profound fear; terror.
Fearful or distasteful anticipation. See Synonyms at fear.
An object of fear, awe, or reverence.
Archaic Awe; reverence.
adj.
Causing terror or fear: a dread disease.
Inspiring awe: the dread presence of the headmaster.

TYPE IN YOUR WORD & CLICK GO!
Dictionary

Now you can have our dictionary on your computer!
Click Here for the Pronunciation Key

ar·cha·ic
(click to hear the word) (är-kk) also ar·cha·i·cal
(--kl)
adj.
also Archaic Of, relating to, or characteristic of a much earlier, often more primitive period, especially one that develops into a classical stage of civilization: an archaic bronze statuette; Archaic Greece.
No longer current or applicable; antiquated: archaic laws. See Synonyms at old.
Of, relating to, or characteristic of words and language that were once in regular use but are now relatively rare and suggestive of an earlier style or period.

[Greek arkhaikos, old-fashioned, from arkhaios, ancient, from arkh, beginning, from arkhein, to begin.]

To me dread means terror you know and who would fear God but that which is the opposite of God. The only reason to fear something is because you know that you cant beat it. As natural a mystic, Bob had no dreads when he passed from these earths flesh but InI still see his spirit. I heard a man rap a song once the lyrics went...is everyone with gold for the fall, is everyone with dreads for the cause, Nah! So dont get caught up in appearance (Outkast)
Thanks for the uplifting step forwards and understandin,
straight head, bald head, dread head Jah is in the heart
Love to the people
Selassi I the FIRST
sonone22
THE ROCK

Messenger: Brother Jahphet I Sent: 1/8/2004 10:02:09 AM

Greetings I

Man... I am one of those who is always crtizised.. even by InI bredren. You know... they canīt see, I am very individual...
When I started to grow I locks.. I cut the hair on the sides... I do not know how to say in english... a bredren once called this "rooster cut".. donīt know if that is right...
You see... it is an important thing for me...
I thought about it to grow locks... and saw the Nazarite Vow.. and saw, that I will follow it in a very individual way.. so I do not want to fool anybody... or try to look like somebody I am not... so I do not let my hear grow, like the Nazarite must do who follow the Num6 Vow...
You know... it was for me to stand strong and show my indivdual Nazarite vow.
When I meet bredren, and they see my hair.. they ask.. I explain it.. some respect that... some canīt...
You know.. they see me as one of the wannabe Yutes... but when they reason with I, they would see, Iman is a serious Dread!
I will now grow my locks... some years then it is the full SEVEN... maybe I will end my vow then and cut the locks... and maybe my overstanding is then different and I will grow I locks full head.... maybe my overstanding is then in the same direction as now, and I will never cut my locks. Or grow them on the sides.

Yes the message of the locks is misunderstood by too many.
They do not want DREADlocks, they want FASHION locks.... I man say, it is their choice, but it is not my way...
Everybody can grow locks... so when JAH let them grow locks.. this fashion yutes... then I man naah judge this!

I do not know, If I even just could imagine a life without I locks.
You know, living in this SHITstem without locks is much easier... but though no serious dread would like to cut them... this is JAH GUIDANCE, Iman say...

Bro Jahphet I

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 1/8/2004 10:34:05 AM

Greetings,

The only requirement Jah has for his people is to live by his direction. So whether a man or woman have locks or not doesn't matter, because their faith and livity is who they are.

But for those that have it in them to grow their locks, then the locks must grow. I have been trodding as RasTafarI for 12 years, and I have been growing I locks for over 8 years. I have no intention or desire to ever cut I locks, I locks is a body part to I now, so I won't cut it.

But as I said, I and I only requirement is to live for Jah. But one thing that I do feel, is that when a person completely accepts theirself as Jah has created them, then they will grow their locks. There are a few different reasons I grow I locks, one of them is because this is how Jah created I and I. So as I sight it, Jah created I and I this way because this is how I and I are to be, and I accept Jah creation.

My mother used to bother I all the time about I locks, she still makes little comments now and then. After I was growing I locks for a few years, she asked I to go to the priest in her church. My family is Serbian Christian Orthodox, but in the city where we lived, the only Orthodox church was a greek Orthodox. So one day I saw the priest in a cafe, and after I spoke to him and explained why I was growing I locks, there was nothing he could say.

My mother then wanted I to contact a Serbian Orthodox priest in Toronto. So I went to the church and explained to the priest I livity, and why I grow I locks. He asked I a few questions, and I had an answer to all of them. He laughed and said "you have an answer to every question"

He then said to I "You could live good and keep your faith in your heart, without growing your hair like that."

I replied to him and said, "What is on the inside must come out"

He just smiled and their was nothing else he could say to I about it.

Jah Live,

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: the rock Sent: 1/8/2004 10:44:26 AM

Hey man I get what you are sayin right, about body parts and things like that right, but your hair... its hair! Im sayin Sampson, that man think if he cut his hair his power gone InI oneness is come from within I would love to have long long dreads but in my family as respect to my grandfather.. all of our men keep our hair cut short, see were workers and the hair can cause one to have bacteria grown on the scalp. So my head has been dry from always workin so my scalp get irritated so i man dont grow dreads, what is on the inside of me is this fire thats not described by any garment or hair style or fashion. Selassi I didnt have no dreads Ive read him speak about the very growth of the dread and the symbolization of it. My idenity is not even seen but I know every one hear my spirit if not.... I know you feel me... can be no if not... Love to the people
Jah RAstA Far I
One

Messenger: Ark I Sent: 1/8/2004 10:52:03 AM

Greetings,

That is why I show that Jah requirement is only to live by his direction. But for those that have it in them, must let it grow.

What I reasoned is how I view I locks for Iself. I don't make it a requirement for others, people must do what they feel they should do. I don't dictate for others, and I don't let others dictate for I. I do what I do, and other people do what they do.

I don't depend on I locks for any strength, because I strength comes from Jah. But I locks is part of Iself, and I don't have any desire to separate from I locks.

Jah Bless,

Ark I
RasTafarI
Haile Selassie I

Messenger: the rock Sent: 1/8/2004 11:07:09 AM

that RIGHT BIG UP MAM|
STAY IRRREEEEEEE>
love to all the rainbow

Messenger: OleGallis Sent: 1/8/2004 12:15:27 PM

Give thanks Idren! InI thank you for this reasoning...gives me strength and trust seen? InI have no dreads...but inside of me...the dreads are growing seen...GIVE THANKS! JAH RASTAFARI!

"I stopped combing my mind so my thoughts would lock."
--- Saul Williams, poet

Messenger: the rock Sent: 1/8/2004 1:25:52 PM

one love

Messenger: Brother Jahphet I Sent: 1/8/2004 2:14:11 PM

Greetings I

I show the world who I am and where I stand, as a Sista once called it. That true man!
It is the sign Iman trod RastafarI.

You know... I show them, I am Adam man.. wothout no comb... I show them I am Adam outta Ethiopia!
I show the truth of the bible... to all this catholics.. this is the true Israelite Livity... true Yeshuah following... DREAD!
I show that I follow the true Christ... Yeshuah Ha Masheach Dread Isus!
And from eversince true followers of His Majesty grew Nats... Ethiopian Mountain Lion.... RastafarIan.... DREAD!

So that show everything I am... to me and to the world.
it show my Rastafarian View on the Bible, on Yeshuah, on Selassie I.... on RastafarI...

but like I said, Iman cut the locks on the side of I head... but still no comb... when they start to knot, I cut them.
This is the covenant for I! For all this reasons I grow locks... the Nazarite Vow is the reason why Iman nah grow locks... seen?

My parents never told me to cut my locks... full respect they have.... my father is a big Che Guevara Fan... a revolutionary in his heart, who also rebelled against his parents when he was young... so he know, Iman must find my own way... and I thank all my family for not trying to put stones in this way!

But the locks must grow by right intention.
Dreadlocks do not make you a Rasta... and when you cut them, you are still Rasta... Bob marley lost his locks... but still he was a TRUE Rastaman! but every man who grow his locks for RastafarI... or who doesnīt grow locks... should ask him inner heart, why he do that really.... do not fool yourself.... when you see DREAD is you way, then go this way, no man can stop you then! And when you see, Rasta is the same for you without locks... when it is a real righteous intention.. then one should not grow locks... do not listen to them who speaks then against you.... if YOU know that YOU are Rasta... that is all one must know... that is root and destiny!

But if your way is to stand up, then
Show the world who YOU are and where YOU stand!

Bro Jahphet I

1 - 1011 - 2021 - 3031 - 4041 - 5051 - 6061 - 7071

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I