Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=1376&start_row=1

Beards

1 - 9
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: zionI Sent: 3/10/2006 5:18:29 PM

One of I friends who is a jew pointed I to this reasoning from the Kabbalah on why wear beards...I man read that the early Rastas in Jamaica (called 'beardsmen') wore their beards because Selassie I wore one- the Jews give this reason...

"I have often wondered why many religious Jews have long hairy beards. Is this, like the kipah, a means of identifying oneself as a Jew or do the beards serve some other purpose?

Answer:

There is more to the beard than just identifying as a Jew. According to Kabbalah the beard should not even be trimmed, but should be allowed to grow freely. Why?

Kabbalistically, our outer physical appearance is a reflection of our inner spiritual reality. The hands represent our ability to give and receive. The feet symbolize the power to progress. What does the beard represent?

One of the greatest struggles in life is to live up to our ideals. Many of us know what is right in our minds, but find it difficult to apply that knowledge in our daily lives. Often we do things that we know are wrong, but feel we "couldn't help ourselves". For example, we know that it is wrong to lose our temper, but when we get annoyed at someone we find it impossible to control our anger. Or we may know that it is good to give charity, but never get around to actually giving.

Between theory and practice there is a huge gulf. It is one thing to have good intentions, but that is far from actually doing good. It is like realizing a dream; without diligence, determination and hard work, it will always remain just a dream.

The greatest step we can take in our personal growth is learning to bridge this gap and implement our good intentions.

This is what the beard represents. The beard is hair that grows down from the head to the rest of the body. It is the bridge between mind and heart, thoughts and actions, theory and practice, good intentions and good deeds.

So we don't cut the beard, but rather let it flow freely, to open a direct flow from the ideals and philosophies of our minds into our everyday lifestyle.

Messenger: Nyah Jahphet Anbassa I Sent: 3/12/2006 8:49:01 AM

Blessed

Interesting Reasoning Iyah.

But by the way, you do not even need the Kabalah(as I do not trust in these neo ashkenazi things) to be shown that I n I Israelites wear a beard. In leviticus I n I are taught to not shave the corners of I n I head, seen.

So may I embrace also another topic which will be shurely of interest to someIs over here. There are many who argue that the beard is a part of the Nazarite vow and others who do not.
As this is a very personal thing everyI must find this out for Iself. Iman can only speak for I myself and think that the beard is NOT included in what is called LOCKS OF THE HEAD in Num6. Though in I language in which I read the bible it clearly says a term for ONLY the HAIR(not beard)..... as I overstand it..... and there is also the example of Samson. Delilah did cut his LOCKS not beard when he lost his powers. there are many of I Idrens who sight that differently. No problem at all. EveryI should just check WHY he does WHAT.
But the above mentioned verse in Leviticus is clearly a commandment for all male Israelites. So what is the difference then? Many like KJV read in that version that you shall not cut and trim your beard(corners of head). Again my version, derived from the Luther version says here: shave. So I think it is not necessary to never cut it, but you should of course not shave. Because this is just not natural to be a grown man and look like babyface. Leviticus explains this commandment, for only the heathen shave. And Iyah this true. So for I the beard is clearly a sign of WHO I AM AND WHERE I STAND. I n I nah deal with heathen livity but stand a principle seen.
But as I said.... these are just a few short personal thoughts.

SEVEN WORDS OF LOVE
Selah

Messenger: zionI Sent: 3/12/2006 2:56:28 PM

Nyah Jahphet Anbassa I

Give thanks for the reasoning.

Messenger: Ras KebreAB Sent: 3/12/2006 8:21:06 PM

Bless
Do InI really need a reason for what is the natural physical appearance of a man. When people ask i why i keep I beard i dont go into no long explanation , i just tell them I AM A MAN. If them cant ovastand that, them have a long way to go yet.
Shaving. Thats a funny thing for a man to do in I sight. Thats why Bob have to sing Cant tell the woman from the man, thay all dressed in the same pollution
Or if you like HipHop Brand Nubian rap , They want me clean shaved like the ancient greeks, but to me the greeks were F****** freaks.
I always smile when i remember how when Fidel Castro accomplished his revolution, one of the first laws he created was that it would be compulsory for every man to wear a beard. Well, he should have known that you cant force anything on anyone, but still i see where he coming from.

HAil JAH everytime

Messenger: Nyah Jahphet Anbassa I Sent: 3/13/2006 9:33:38 AM

Blessed

Yes Iyah this is exactly what Iman is saying. But still Iman sight a big difference between cleanshaving and just trimming, because if it gets too long it can get very hard to deal with. I sight this like fingernails, you cut them too because otherwise they prevent you from certain things.

Selah

Messenger: White dread Sent: 3/13/2006 10:45:58 AM

Is it wrong to shave?

Messenger: Ras Jah-mal Sent: 3/13/2006 10:54:35 AM

RASTAFARI-ON-HEIGHTS !!!
YES JAH-MAN THEM !!

TO I, THE PRINCIPLE IS SIMPLY THE PRESERVATION
OF LIFE. I DONT DEFEND TRIMMING OR CLIPPING OR
PRUNING, BUT ITS A FREE-NESS STILL. EVERY MAN IS
DIVINE AND EXPRESSES AN INDIVIDUALITY, SO I CANT CONDEMN
A PERSON FOR HOW THEY FEEL COMFORTABLE EXPRESSING THEIR
PHYSICAL APPEARANCE. REMEMBER, THE CHRISTIANS FIND IT HARD TO
ACCEPT HOW HIS MAJESTY EXPRESSED HIMSELF TO I AND I AS FLESH.
SO I CANT UPHOLD THIS
BUT YEAH, TO I-MAN, YOUR PRECEPTS ARE THE CROWN OF YOUR WISDOM,
AND EVERY STRAND OF HAIR THAT COMES FORWARD TO I TEMPLE, I ACCEPT
AND GIVE THANKS FOR STILL. MANAGEABILITY WAS NEVER A PART OF I PROGRAM STILL.

GIVE THANKS FOR THE REASONING
MIGHTY-I
QEDAMAWE QEDAMAWE I
HAILE I SELASSIE I
JAH RASTAFARI !!!!!

Messenger: Erik Parker Sent: 9/25/2007 7:13:48 PM

Sikhs consider hair to be a blessing from the Creator.

Why is hair so rapidly replaced, cut after cut?
It's more important to your well being than you realize.

Today, whether a man has a beard can spark controversy. Witness the case of Maher "Mike" Hawash, an Intel contract engineer, and a Muslim, who has pleaded not guilty to charges related to waging war against the United States. In some pictures he's clean shaven, and in others he has a beard. The underlying issue has been, what kind of message does a man's beard send about innocence, guilt, stereotypes and political correctness?

Here's a quick look at what six religious faiths believe about beards and letting one's hair grow.

Sikhism: Devout Sikhs, both men and women, let their hair grow, wrap their hair in a turban*, and the men allow their beards to grow. These are some basic requirements of the Khalsa, a fellowship of those who "belong to the divine." The practice affirms their belief that God made men and women perfectly, with no changes necessary. When the Khalsa arose in 1699, it set Sikhs apart and encouraged them to stand up against oppression, tyranny and injustice.

Messenger: Ten Sent: 9/25/2007 7:28:27 PM

Greetings
Erik Parker "The underlying issue has been, what kind of message does a man's beard send about innocence, guilt, stereotypes and political correctness?" I think you've got the issue twisted, its not about whether one is clean shaven or bearded but its abt religion. Its Islam that's under fire and Islamic stereotypes being formed that's why as a result of that questions of beard, hair etc are raised because its part of the cultural image of Islamic peoples. But the main issue had to do with religion and terrorism not physicalities which result thereof. And you said six faiths but only mentioned two - missing info?
Bless

1 - 9

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I