Use the drop-down boxes above to navigate through the Website  
Return to Reasoning List

Here is a link to this page:
http://www.jah-rastafari.com/forum/message-view.asp?message_group=1142&start_row=11

Cycle of argument

1 - 1011 - 2021
Time Zone: EST (New York, Toronto)
Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/13/2019 1:28:45 AM

I remember this thread. It was when I first started coming with my anti Bible and Jesus mythos rhetoric which I believe was the first time explored on this forum. It shook some heads for sure. I was labelled as all sorts including foolish and none Rastafari and devilish lol. I thought I would soon be banned but Ark I pleasantly surprised me with this post.

He makes some very VALID points.

I would like to add, that in reasoning ... Ones don't need to come to a conclusion of agreement. Many ctucial reasoning sessions end in disagreement. The key is knowing when to stop and to avoid repetitiveness and circular reasoning. Amd to avoid name calling or discrediting ones authority in what they believe.

At the end of a reasoning which results in disagreement - at least ones should be able to completely sight and overstand the position where the other person is coming from and why...for them.

Hemphill knows why I don't deal with Jesus. He knows it so well he could probably now reason my case for me and as well as I can. But he completely disagrees with me for his own beliefs. And vice versa. This is through many fruitful but heated reasoning sessions. So I was disappointed to see he was banned.

Let's keep it clean

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 1/13/2019 6:53:19 AM

You say: "in reasoning ... Ones don't need to come to a conclusion of agreement. Many ctucial[sic] reasoning sessions end in disagreement."

You're absolutely right about that, G.A. I&i concur 100%.

This forum is not a competition or a debate wherein one is judged to see who "wins". It's a sharing of thoughts, beliefs, ideas, concepts, interpretations, observations et al. It's designed to stimulate discussion, thought and reflection influenced, at least in theory to some extent, by our mutual reverence for His Majesty (although this is not mandatory).

i mean, seriously, does anyone really expect to post a paragraph on here that will spark an epiphany in another and trigger a change in deeply held convictions? It could happen, but not very often.

Most of all, we need to demonstrate respect for one another. I&i may disagree with you completely about something, but i respect not only the right you have to your perspective, but also the effort that you have obviously put into educating yourself. The main thing here is to avoid debasing this forum with rude sarcasm, petty personal attacks and the like. That's the only thing i've seen get banned here so far.

Messenger: GARVEYS AFRICA Sent: 1/13/2019 3:19:43 PM

Selah!

Messenger: Back to the chalice Sent: 1/24/2019 4:31:19 PM

It's very hard to reason with unreasonable people, there comes a time you waste time, both your own - and theirs, time better spent learning tolerance for each other.

Messenger: CarterBlunt Sent: 2/15/2019 2:22:01 AM

I like to debate, but I find most people don't have good critical thinking skills. They will state a series of "opinions" and not back up any of their views with any reason or evidence. Then they simply say "we are at an impasse" after I give massive amounts of data supporting my claim. It's very frustrating.

Example: I ask, "Is it antisemitism to say that AIPAC is influencing politicians through legal bribery?"
Their answer: "Ilhan Omar needs to be bitch slapped and drop shipped back to Somalia! Like no one else takes money from lobbyists!"

This is not even an answer to what I asked. Apparently their answer is "yes", but they provide absolutely no justification for it. The only thing more frustrating is when I find someone who can put forth a logical argument, but we agree on virtually everything.

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 2/16/2019 6:41:28 AM

CarterBlunt,

"critical thinking skills" are on the wane globally. It's not uncommon for people to give an answer that has nothing to do with the question posed to them or for people to mindlessly regurgitate narratives with which they've been programmed.

When TV first become popular in the early 50s, the Babylon System seized upon it as a powerful means to control people's thoughts. The advent of the personal computer and, now, hand-held devices connected to the internet have led to a (very-well orchestrated) decline in people's abilities to synthesize data/information independently and form their own opinions/interpretations. A good example of this is the concept of democracy which we've been very-effectively brainwashed into believing is the best form of governance by the very same people who have the media power to manipulate the electorate into voting pretty much the way that they want them to.

If this subject interests you, I recommend a fascinating book addressing the science of what the internet is doing to our minds appropriately titled "The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains" (2011) by Nicholas Carr.

Messenger: CarterBlunt Sent: 2/16/2019 10:40:42 AM

Democracy is certainly strange. 50.1% agree, now they should rule over the 49.9%... very anti self-determination, and thus very unethical.

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 2/16/2019 11:55:17 AM

Yep, CarterBlunt, you put that together with a one-party billionaire's club masquerading as two different political parties and a bunch of politicians who all lie every election time about what they'll "do for the People" and you've got the Babylon...uh, I mean the American system of politics.

Messenger: speaks from the chalice Sent: 2/16/2019 8:26:44 PM

I remember Bob Marley saying once "the victory of good over evil." Until then, they'll be war.

Messenger: Nesta1 Sent: 2/17/2019 1:46:01 AM

Chalice,

Yes, H.I.M. Haile Selassie articulated His clear vision for how people's mentality needed to be in order for the world to ever achieve “the dream of lasting peace and world citizenship and the rule of international morality”, and, importantly, for the African continent to finally know peace. These are things that an individual can realize in his or her own mind and life to put Haile Selassie's vision to reality:

-- the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned
-- there are no longer first class and second class citizens of any nation (i.e., screw what official govt. & institutional policies are and refuse to treat anyone as being of a different class)
-- the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes;
-- the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race (i.e., again screw what official govt. & institutional policies are and grant everyone the same rights in your personal dealings with them)
-- bigotry and prejudice and malicious and inhuman self-interest have been replaced by understanding and tolerance and good-will
-- all Africans stand and speak as free beings (i.e., emancipating ourselves as Africans from every chain that it is within our power to cast off), equal in the eyes of all men, as they are in the eyes of Heaven

PUT HIS MAJESTY'S VISION TO REALITY

1 - 1011 - 2021

Return to Reasoning List

RastafarI

Haile Selassie I